How To Increase System Login Limit?

Post by Ming P » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

The current limit seems to be 2.  How can I increase it?
BTW, I have root access.

Thanks a bunch.  Please e-mail me if possible.
--
Ming Pan

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Ming Pan writes:

> The current limit seems to be 2.  How can I increase it?
> BTW, I have root access.

Maybe you only bought a 2-user licence.
Type 'uname -X' to find out.

--

How To Increase System Login Limit?

Post by James Ming Pa » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Maybe you only bought a 2-user licence.
> Type 'uname -X' to find out.

Thanks.  The license is for 2 users, but restricting user logins really
doesn't make any sense to me.  SCO is greedy, isn't it?

The following script I just wrote can get around it:

#!/usr/bin/expect --
spawn telnet SCO_HOST
expect login: { send "HACKER\r" }
expect Password: { send "HACKER_PASSWD\r" }
expect "TERM = (ansi)" { send "vt100\r" }
expect ">" { send "xauth add $argv\r" }
expect ">" { send "setenv DISPLAY [lrange $argv 0 0]\r" }
expect ">" { send "xterm &\r" }
expect ">" { send "logout\r" }

BTW, how much is it to get an extra user license from SCO, anybody knows?

Thanks a bunch.

Ming

Post by Iain McV » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: > Maybe you only bought a 2-user licence.
: > Type 'uname -X' to find out.

: Thanks.  The license is for 2 users, but restricting user logins really
: doesn't make any sense to me.  SCO is greedy, isn't it?

: The following script I just wrote can get around it:

Just a note here, not an invitation to debate ad nauseum, on the 'SCO is
the only vendor that has login restrictions' topic.

* DEC OSF/1 has a licensing scheme very similar to SCO's with user add-on
  license packs, etc.

* Sun Microsystems has an implied licensing scheme that states you
  should by a 'server' license if the machine is being used:
  - as any type of server other than a print or NIS server
  - to export more filesystems then it imports
  - provides swap space for other machines
  - provides home directory space for another machine
  - provides boot binaries for another machine
  - provides compute services for more than 2 continuous users ( 2 uids)
  - provides database service for more than 2 continuous users
  - allows more than two users to be directly connected
  - allows more than 2 continuous, network-based users to be connnected.

Check the prices, and you will like SCO's pricing more than ever.

So, lets not have anymore of this *about how bad SCO login limits are,
because there are others much more restrictive, and expensive.

--
- Iain -

Quae narravi, nullo modo negabo.

                  #9 - Canadians must play in bare feet.

Post by Stephen M. Du » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

$Thanks.  The license is for 2 users, but restricting user logins really
$doesn't make any sense to me.  SCO is greedy, isn't it?

   If you buy LAN Server, I believe you pay more if you want more
users. If you buy NetWare, you pay more if you want more users.  Many
programs not only are licensed based on the number of users, but even
on the type of machine - I've heard of database engines which cost
more to run on a 486 than on a 386 even if you have the same number of
users.  That means there's a little piece of code whose only purpose is
to detect the CPU type on which it's running and make sure you've paid
to run on that CPU.  Lotus charges you more to run 5 users of 1-2-3
for Windows on a network than to run one.  Etc., etc., etc., ad
nauseum.

   Greedy?  Well, I don't suppose it costs them much more to
ship you a license for 1000 users than a license for 2 users.
I'm not going to defend the fact that they charge more for more
users, but let's face it.  SCO, along with tons of other companies
selling software, does charge more if you want to use their software
to service more users.  It's a fact, and a very common one in this
business.

   Or would you rather the product cost, say, $5000 for anything from
one to five thousand users?

   BTW, I've also heard that it doesn't cost an automaker a great
deal more to manufacture a full-sized pickup than a compact pick-up.
Yet they charge significantly more.  I suppose they're greedy, too,
for selling above cost.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. Attempt to exceed system login limit ...

Hi,

Our company is running SCO Open Server 3.0.0 on a ten-terminal environment.
5 of these are PC's connected through an emulation program.  We have the
system set up for up to 64 pseudo-tty's.

Recently, the system has been refusing logins at stations, claiming "Attempt
to exceed system login limit on port ttyp..."  The first time this happened
it was on ttyp14.  I shut down the system and rebooted.

Now it is doing the same on ttyp12.  I know I can just shut it down again,
but I would really rather clear things up more neatly.  Does anyone have any
knowledge or suggestions?

I will try to keep checking this newsgroup, but just in case, my e-mail
address is included below.

Brian Butler
Systems Administrator
Barkman Honey Company

2. No Dial Tone

3. how to limit users who can login to the system ?

4. Daewoo 14" + Tseng W32i: I can't XConfig it...can you help ?

5. Increase File size limit for VI editor... How?

6. how to start sshd on boot

7. Increasing filehandle limits

8. How to limit anonymous FTP logins???

9. YQ¨: increasing mount limit

10. How to increasing hard limit for users?

11. increasing openfile limit, 2.1.57

12. Increasing file size limit

13. where in smit to increase filesize limit