OS5.0.4 licence 'expired' - why? :-\

Post by Chris Rap » Fri, 07 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We have a customer who has complained that their licence for 10
additional users had 'expired'. I have never come across this message
and was wondering why the licence went pop - it was installed
correctly and has been running for a while.

TIA
Chris R.

OS5.0.4 licence 'expired' - why? :-\

Post by Tom Parson » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

| > Hi,
| >
| > We have a customer who has complained that their licence for 10
| > additional users had 'expired'. I have never come across this message
| > and was wondering why the licence went pop - it was installed
| > correctly and has been running for a while.
| >
| > TIA
| > Chris R.
| >
| err, It was a timebombed license.
| SCO can encrypt time/date info into a license.
| Some how the person who sold it to them got a hold of one.
| They were mostly for demo. i.e. DEMO over.
| get ahold of the one who sold it to them.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  It is easy to tell, if it is a time-limited license,
the expiration date will be in the license data field.
    x980322;xx;xx;xxxxxxx
     ^^^^^^

OS5.0.4 licence 'expired' - why? :-\

Post by Roberto Zi » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi,

>We have a customer who has complained that their licence for 10
>additional users had 'expired'. I have never come across this message
>and was wondering why the licence went pop - it was installed
>correctly and has been running for a while.

Hi !

Just a guess here; try by removing the 10 user license and then
by reinstalling it using scoadmin. Perhaps your customer played
with the BIOS/system settings and managed to change the system date
with a new one set in the past before the update was installed (this
horrible non-English sentence should read that if the 10user license
was installed - for example - on 08/10/98 and the customer tweaked
the BIOS by setting a new date *before* the one above - let's say
08/01/98 - the system could complain about it and so refuses the
additional license).

Just a shot in the dark.

Best,
Roberto

--
P.S. : please remove the ending "dy" from my Email address
       if you want to reply.

Strhold Sistemi EDP                           Reggio Emilia      ITALY

"Has anybody seen an aircraft carrier around ?"
(Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

OS5.0.4 licence 'expired' - why? :-\

Post by Albert Ratzlaf » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> <snip>
> Maybe yes, maybe no.  It is easy to tell, if it is a time-limited
> license,
> the expiration date will be in the license data field.
>     x980322;xx;xx;xxxxxxx
>      ^^^^^^

I recently installed my free SCO Unix on a new machine, and forgot to
set the bios date. It was something like 1976 or 1987, I can't remember.
But after putting in the right date (after installing), I also got a
"expired" message. I had to reinstall the whole thing. But the license
data field doesn't have a date.

Regards
Albert Ratzlaff

OS5.0.4 licence 'expired' - why? :-\

Post by Tom Parson » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Albert Ratzlaff enscribed:

| > <snip>
| > Maybe yes, maybe no.  It is easy to tell, if it is a time-limited
| > license,
| > the expiration date will be in the license data field.
| >     x980322;xx;xx;xxxxxxx
| >      ^^^^^^
|
| I recently installed my free SCO Unix on a new machine, and forgot to
| set the bios date. It was something like 1976 or 1987, I can't remember.
| But after putting in the right date (after installing), I also got a
| "expired" message. I had to reinstall the whole thing. But the license
| data field doesn't have a date.

Apples and oranges.

One subject is a time-limited license, the actions of the license
manager when the bios date is incorrect is another.  The date must
be after sometime in June 1995 for a proper install.

OS5.0.4 licence 'expired' - why? :-\

Post by Chris Rap » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>>We have a customer who has complained that their licence for 10
>>additional users had 'expired'.
>Just a guess here; try by removing the 10 user license and then
>by reinstalling it using scoadmin. Perhaps your customer played
>with the BIOS/system settings and managed to change the system date
>with a new one set in the past before the update was installed [snip]

Mmm - its certainly a good possiblilty. I have tried a de-install &
re-install and it seems to be working now  :-)

Thanks
Chris R.

1. OS5 'All licenses are in use' but aren't

: We've been getting this aggravating error on a fairly regular
: basis for what appears to be no good reason...

: We have a five user licence for our OS5, and only 3 people
: in our office.  After some time, this error shows up.  I am
: tired of rebooting when this happens, as it shouldn't ever
: happen.

: Does the licencse manager count 'warm bodies' or just the
: number of logins?  I might be logged on to the console
: under scologin with several xterms going - does that
: affect it?

: I havent been able to find out anywhere (esp. from SCO)
: any details on this problem.

I have had similar problems. I think it was the xterm options I was using
to simulate a login session. "xterm -ls" will do it I think. You might want
to play around with that a bit. Can't seem to remember if that was what
fixed it or not... sorry.

Chris
--
Chris Travers

: Thanks for any help.
: --
: Ray Tripamer

2. Adding paths?

3. performance problems - os5.0.4, Adaptec2940 and DAT

4. rm bug?

5. OS5.0.4 mkdev fd error to many inodes

7. why aren't 'esc' ~ 'break' recognized?

8. 2.5.40 FB_RIVA broken

9. Calendar look up does not show last entry, scocal OS5.0.4

10. Sendmail routing to UUCP host on OS5.0.4 (sendmail 8.8.5)

11. OS5.0.4 Installation

12. Problems installing Free OS5.0.4

13. Installing OS5.0.4 on second HD