Dual boot SCO Enterprise and NT?

Post by Mark C. Merrit » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Greetings...

I would like to dual boot SCO Enterprise 5.0.2 and NT Server 4.0 on the
same system using 2 partitions (one disk).  The docs say you can do this
but it doesn't elaborate.

Has anyone set up the above dual-boot situation?  If so pleas e-mail me
and let me know how you acheived this...

Any assistance in this would be much apprecitaed...

Many Thanks!

Systems Administrator / Technical Liaison   phone:  (972) 436 - 2518
GTE Telephone Operations - ATIC               fax:  (972) 436 - 5610
500 Laurel Lane, Lewisville TX. 75067         www:  http://www.gte.com/

Dual boot SCO Enterprise and NT?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Mark C. Merritt telecommunicated:
| Greetings...
|
| I would like to dual boot SCO Enterprise 5.0.2 and NT Server 4.0 on the
| same system using 2 partitions (one disk).  The docs say you can do this
| but it doesn't elaborate.

Do you find that 'man bootos' doesn't answer the question?

--

Dual boot SCO Enterprise and NT?

Post by Leslie Knaz » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Create 2 partitions on your hard drive. Make one a bootable DOS partition.
and leave the other raw. Boot-up your system to make sure you can boot into
DOS. Once you've done the above, begin the install of SCO. Install SCO on
the partition that you've left as raw and set it as ACTIVE. Once you've
completed the SCO install, re-boot your system and type "dos" at the unix
boot: prompt. Once in DOS, you can begin your NT install (always remember
to type "dos" at the UNIX boot: prompt if you want to get into NT).

Good Luck

Dual boot SCO Enterprise and NT?

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I would like to dual boot SCO Enterprise 5.0.2 and NT Server 4.0 on the
>same system using 2 partitions (one disk).  The docs say you can do this
>but it doesn't elaborate.
>Has anyone set up the above dual-boot situation?  If so pleas e-mail me
>and let me know how you acheived this...

Actually, I triple-boot my two home office systems. The first includes a FAT
partition supporting OS/2 and NT WS; the next two are UNIX which changes
among Linux (Caldera and Red Hat), SCO OS5, SCO UnixWare and Solaris X86.
My solution would be to install NT first, then SCO, then a suitable boot
selector (I use OSBS20B8 from www.freebird.org). Make sure you set your
boot selector to reset the active partition upon selection; and take into
consideration start locations on the disk.

1. NT/LIINUX dual boot problem: NT boot failed

Dear Linux/NT gurus,

Can anyone please help me solve my problem on NT/linux installation?
The symptom is that after I installed Linux on my NT desktop, I can
launch Linux but can't enter my old NT system anymore.

My hardware is:
A compaq desktop pc, originally with just one 8G scsi hard drive and
OS of NT4.0. I bought a new IDE hard drive of 20G, then decided to
install Mandrake 8.1 on the computer. I shrinked the NT patition in
the scsi hard drive to 6G (/dev/sda1), and put the boot sector of
Linux at the end of the scsi drive (/dev/sda2). The IDE hard drive
(/dev/hdd) was patitioned to hold Linux directory /home and /usr. This
is my PC in my office, so unfortunately I don't have NT kit with me.

More detailed symptom:
I can correctly enter Lilo. Then if I choose Linux, I can correctly
enter the Linux OS and can mount and view those NT files under Linux.
However, if I choose NT in lilo, it looks fine just at the first
several steps: the system successfully enter the first screen of NT
(shown VGA mode selection etc.), then go to the next two-three screens
displayng info such as

OS Loader 4.01 ......

Microsoft (R) Windows ...
1 System Processor [256 MB memory]

After that, it stucked in a blue background screen showing:
1 System Processor [256 MB memory]

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0X80D6950, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

CPUID:GenuineIntel 6.8.3 irql:0  SYSVER 0xf0000565

Dll Base DateStmp - Name             Dll Base DateStmp - Name
80100000 37e8005b - ntoskrnl.exe     80001000 36c49a8b - hal.dll
... more lines like the above ...

Address  dword dump Build [1381]                            - Name
f40134d4 8014e448 8014e448 f40134f4 801110e 80d69350 00000000 -
ntoskrnl.exe
... more lines like the above ...

At the end of the screen, it shows:
Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or
the /CRASHDEBUG system start option. If this message reappears,
contact your system administrator or technical support group.

I also tried to uninstall lilo, using both "lilo -v -u" under Linux
and "fdisk /mbr" under DOS. The final error message looks the same.
Probably because I made multiple trys to install Linux before
eventually succeed, one of the installation might have done a damage
to the boot patition.

The current lilo looks fine to me (only NT section shown below):

boot=/dev/sda
# Win NT loader section
other=/dev/sda1
label=NT
table=/dev/sda

I already exhausted my knowledge and also close to exhausting the
searching of all previous similar posts on Newsgroup, so I can only
hope that some Gurus in this newsgroup can teach me something
effective. Sorry for my long post, because I don't want to waste your
time without providing enough information.

Best regards!

--Hongyu Zhang

2. Audio CD not working w/workman

3. NT - SCO Dual boot?

4. Free Unix Account Questioner

5. Need help installing dual boot of SCO and NT

6. Post-processed fvwm2rc.m4 file

7. NT Server 4.0 & SCO OPEN SERVER- Dual Boot

8. DOSEMU Sucess (sort of)

9. Dual boot Win NT (NTFS) & SCO OS5

10. NT/Linux Dual Boot - NT Randomly Hangs

11. NT + Linux dual boot, can I repair damaged NT loader?

12. Dual booting DOS/NT & Installing Linux on PC running NT,

13. Windows NT / Open Server Enterprise 5.0 - Dual Partition