Idle time-outs

Post by Mike Handle » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Is there a way to set an idle time-out for users who are running a text
program on a tty?  The program is blocked waiting for the users input.
The server is running Open Server 5.04

Tia
MH
~

 Mike Handley

Engineering

                Tip of the Week/Month by Mike Handley:
--- Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he/she is
                        supposed to be doing.----

Idle time-outs

Post by Randy Sty » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a way to set an idle time-out for users who are running a text
>program on a tty?  The program is blocked waiting for the users input.
>The server is running Open Server 5.04

There are several approaches.  In Korn shell, the variable TMOUT can
be used to log off idle users, but this only works in the shell itself.
There are programs like idled that log off idle users, but these
approaches look at keyboard activity only and thus they can log off
a user who is running a cpu bound job with no keyboard interaction.
Because of this, our company wrote (and sells ;-) a product called
LOGMON.  This software monitors cpu usage for your users and their
child processes, and thus won't log people who aren't really idle.
LOGMON also lets you vary the inactivity time by user, time of day,
tty, etc.  You can control how the users are logged off.  For

| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  630/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA   Fax:    630/941-7714             |

Idle time-outs

Post by Steve Wer » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> Is there a way to set an idle time-out for users who are running a text
> program on a tty?  The program is blocked waiting for the users input.
> The server is running Open Server 5.04

nidleout from ftp.armory.com overcomes situations like this, I beleive.

-sw

1. AIX 4.3 idle time: is 4% idle time acceptable?

I'm running a system primarily running batch jobs.
Since a couple of days we're running substantially
more jobs on the system. As a consequence, sar reports
on occasions about 4% idle time over multiple 5-minute
intervals.

Are these "acceptable" idle time numbers for an AIX
system, or does this indicate we should reduce
the system's load or upgrade the machine?

What "rules of thumb" exist?

Thanks, Mark

2. Thread Programming

3. Netscape time-outs

4. Lexmark 2070 (colour inkjet printer) on RedHat 5.0?

5. * rwall and shutdown: rpc time-outs *

6. Where to look at ?

7. Q: HELP: Cirrus PCMCIA IRQ Device time-outs...

8. Turnkey database recommendations...

9. RPC time outs at boot time

10. Time-outs when loading Linux

11. Is Kernel Idle time really idle?

12. fix VIA Rhine time outs (some)

13. named configuartion in a ppp setup - time outs