Login via modem

Post by Mark Alliba » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a machine running OSR5.0.4 and another running 5.0.5. Both have
modems which are being dialed into by NT. However, the login process goes
slightly differently on the 5.0.5 box. It goes like this:

5.0.5: SCO OpenServer etc
5.0.5: login:
I say: nppp
5.0.5: Password:
I say: <the password>
5.0.5: Password:      (again)
I say: <the password> (again)
5.0.5: Password incorrect.
5.0.5: login:
I say: nppp
5.0.5: Password:
I say: <the password>
5.0.5: Password       (again)
I say: <the password> (again)
5.0.5: SCO OpenServer PPP.... etc..

As you can see, it connects successfully, but only after a lot of seemingly
random retries. Naturally this is un-automatable. The 5.0.4 box works fine
the first time. I have compared /etc/ppphosts and all the modem setup info
in scoadmin and it is all identical (so are the modems).

Is this a problem with 5.0.5 or have I overlooked something?

Thanks,
Mark.

Login via modem

Post by Roberto Zi » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a machine running OSR5.0.4 and another running 5.0.5. Both have
>modems which are being dialed into by NT. However, the login process goes
>slightly differently on the 5.0.5 box. It goes like this:

[snip]

Hi !

Just a shot in the dark; does the system use a sort of dialup shell
password ? Please see passwd(C) and /etc/d_passwd, otherwyse
ignore this post.

Best,
Roberto

--
P.S. : please remove the ending "dy" from my Email address
       if you want to reply.

Strhold Sistemi EDP                           Reggio Emilia      ITALY

"Has anybody seen an aircraft carrier around ?"
(Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

1. Console logins via modem

I am trying to setup my machine so I can login to a console (text-only)
remotely using a modem, but it doesn't work.  Here's what I did:

- Uncommented the last line in the stock /etc/inittab that has uugetty
  in it.
- Also changed this line's ttyS0 to ttyS1 (my modem is on COM2)
- Added the file /etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS1 with the contents exactly
  the same as the example file in Serial-HOWTO.
- Changed all cua0 references in this file to cua1.

When I do 'init q' or reboot, the uggetty process appears in the 'ps'
list with a speed of 38400, and the modem lights as if it were connected
to terminal software such as minicom.

When I attempt dialing in, I get CONNECT 2400, than a second or two

What could be going wrong?  Since I made it this far, I assume the
/etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS1 is working properly.  So is the problem
with my modem's settings?  Do I need to make the Computer<->modem
link a fixed speed?  Or could this have something to do with
7/8 bits and parity?

-BarryB

Oh, I should mention that I'm using the Caldera/Red Hat distribution
if that makes any difference.

2. arts installation

3. problems with 0.99pl9 and login via modem

4. Help with ErrorDocument Directive in Apache.

5. How to make Linux getting logins via modem

6. Slow apache server

7. Restrict logins via modem to only 1 user?

8. What new off the shelf PC will Linux work on?

9. *** REMOTE LOGIN VIA MODEM ***

10. login via modem

11. login via modem problems

12. login via modem