How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Hal Riddl » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5 in
this group.

Is it as stable as my v/386?

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Mike Dea » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

Problems, questions and an occasional hot debate is what this group is all
about :-)

Openserver 5 is quite solid and I believe it's been out almost 3 years now. If
you check the SCO web site for recommended patches for the different releases
you will see that their are few for the current 5.0.4 which has been out for a
year.

The best reason to upgrade is the new features and additions like VisionFS,
Netscape products, Morning Star PPP and of course support for new hardware.

You might also want to check out year 2000 issues, or heck you might just want
to wait ;-)

Mike Dean

> I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
> concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5 in
> this group.

> Is it as stable as my v/386?

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by David Clayt » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
>concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5 in
>this group.

>Is it as stable as my v/386?

I would classify it as pretty stable now, with all appropriate patches
installed, of course.

Regards, David.
---------------

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

"I refuse to short-change the 20th century to only allow it 99 years, the 21st century begins with the year 2001, not 2000.", check this URL for details:
http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/faq/docs/faq2.html

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

$>I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
$>concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5 in
$>this group.
$>
$>Is it as stable as my v/386?
$>
$I would classify it as pretty stable now, with all appropriate patches
$installed, of course.

   I have found OSR5.0.0, with all appropriate patches installed,
to be very stable.  My 5.0.0 server at the office has been up for
almost two months; its last downtime was due to a hardware failure.
The last several shutdowns before that were for scheduled maintenance,
and not due to system crashes or mysterious problems that required
a shutdown to cure them.  In other words, it's stable.

   I've also worked with the current version, 5.0.4, and the version
between, 5.0.2, and I'd set up a production system on any of these
three versions.

   The main reasons that you see people having problems with OSR5
are, in no particular order,
a) they don't read the manual and then ask about problems that the
   installation instructions tell them how to handle
b) they don't read the FAQ
c) it's the current version, and most problem show up at installation
   time, so most problems will show up with the version that people are
   buying today and installing today.

Senior Manager                                  United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by William Wyatt-Low » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

Please, do any of you know the meaning of "Text Busy" in response to
running an 'executable' on the command line.

It is a piece of software which we have tried to transfer onto the
system via floppy, and via FTP. There are 2 executables in the
application, one works and one produces this error message.

The operating system is Openserver 5.0.0

The software originator claims that is works OK on his machine.

TIA

William
William Wyatt-Lowe         Phone:  +44(0)1442 247372
7 East Street              Fax:    +44(0)1442 264447

HP2 5BN    UK              Tailored Business Solutions
If it ain't broke - don't fix it

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

William Wyatt-Lowe bruited (on 30May):
| Please, do any of you know the meaning of "Text Busy" in response to
| running an 'executable' on the command line.
|
| It is a piece of software which we have tried to transfer onto the
| system via floppy, and via FTP. There are 2 executables in the
| application, one works and one produces this error message.
|
| The operating system is Openserver 5.0.0
|
| The software originator claims that is works OK on his machine.

If you try to copy onto a binary which is at the moment running on the
computer, the kernel finds that the Text of that binary is busy, and
refuses to do the copy.

Run  ps -ef and grep for the program, you'll no doubt see that it's
running.

--

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Guido Conr » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

We're using SCO OS 5.0.2 on customer servers for about 2 years with over
150 installations in the field and we're encountering not a single problem.
We're using SCSI based systems with single HD or RAID 5 systems and we're
qualifying everey component for use in the system again.

Quote:> I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
> concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5
in
> this group.

> Is it as stable as my v/386?

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Steven L Coope » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Very!  Well, for me anyway...

We are running four servers now including Acer/Altos, DG AV/3600 and some
PII clones with serveral applications plus Informix SE and OWS.  The DG
will replace the Acer/Altos as the main server within the year.  We are
running 5.0.2 and 5.0.4 with around 100 users.  Most of the problems we
have seen were caused by USER (MIS staff) error or HARDWARE!  To avoid
problems we buy ALL SCSI boxes w/Adaptec controllers (Check the SCO
hardware list) AND install and re-install SCO until I get it right before
it goes live.  If you can afford to setup a new system while the old one is
still running, setup/test the new one before the users do it for you!

It seems to me that "some" of the problems you read about here are caused
by non-compatible hardware that make the software (SCO) look bad.  (ie: If
the hardware is not setup correctly, Unix cannot flip the dips?)  Yes, you
CAN install SCO on a "PC", but for business use, I prefer to buy a "server"
class (SCSI) box, but I don't mean highest class.  We are using PII systems
w/SONY DAT drives that we setup for $3400 (Yes the tape drive is $1000 of
that, but backups are important!) and they are fast enough for
development/testing (In fact, they seem "faster" than the old Acer/Altos
which cost a lot more.  (I would like to test this without telling the
users ;) well maybe not?)  The next step up, RAID, is needed for servers
that cannot stop just because a drive fails.  These cost more, but they are
expected to stay "up" all the time.

I even avoid patchs (I hope Bela does not read this!) if I can!  NOTE: we
do not "expose" our servers to the net, without a Firewall you should apply
security patchs...Right Bela?

Steve
--
Steven L Cooper
Manager, Systems Engineering

Quote:> I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
> concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5
in
> this group.

> Is it as stable as my v/386?

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 27 May 1998 08:28:49 -0400, "Hal Riddle"

>I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
>concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5 in
>this group.

>Is it as stable as my v/386?

The OSR5 operating system is fine.  However, the box is
susceptible to stability issues, especially in the California
earthquake zone.  Fortunately, this is a measureable quantity.
All that is required is a fish scale and a protractor.  I took
the liberty of testing some of my OSR5 servers.  I strongly
recommend shutting down and powering off the server before
attempting a stability test.

The most stable of the bunch is the HP Netserver LM.  Its massive
and squat footprint required 50lbs of lateral pull at 60 degrees
from vertical before it showed any sign of crashing to the floor.
If you want San Andreas fault zone class stability for your OSR5
server, I highly recommend this package.

At the other extreme is the ALR Q/SMP roll around tower server.
ALR attempted to solve the stability issue by placing the server
on rollers.  This is a good idea since buildings and bridges are
now built on rollers.  However, it only  works as long as the
rollers move freely.  It fails miserably if it rolls over a cable
or cord.  As little as 10lbs pull and 20 degress were required to
crash this server package.  It should be noted that ALR's latest
offerings look more like the HP Netserver package and are
considerably more stable.  This is an ominous trend coming from
computer manufacturers located in earthquake zones.

The generic mini-tower desktop package is also fairly unstable.
Testing the one on my desk, I was able to crash it with 15lbs
pull at 45 degrees from vertical.  This is a side effect of its
small footprint.  A spectacular improvement in stability can be
obtained by operating the mini-tower case on its side.
Additionally, placing a monitor on top will make the OSR5
workstation essentially crash proof.  In this configuration, I
was unable to crash my server at the limit of my fish scale.

I hope this answers your question.  Server stability is only in
part a software issue.  The hardware must be considered and some
tilt testing should be performed before deploying a high up-time
server.

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list  [x]I've had a bad day.

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(408)699-0483 pgr (408)426-1240 fax (408)336-2558 home

How stable is SCO.OSR 5

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 27 May 1998 08:28:49 -0400, "Hal Riddle"

>I am contemplating upgrading from v/386 3.2.4.2 to Open Server but am
>concerned about the number of problem related questions concerning OSR5 in
>this group.

>Is it as stable as my v/386?

The OSR5 operating system is fine.  However, the box is
susceptible to stability issues, especially in the California
earthquake zone.  Fortunately, this is a measureable quantity.
All that is required is a fish scale and a protractor.  I took
the liberty of testing some of my OSR5 servers.  I strongly
recommend shutting down and powering off the server before
attempting a stability test.

The most stable of the bunch is the HP Netserver LM.  Its massive
and squat footprint required 50lbs of lateral pull at 60 degrees
from vertical before it showed any sign of crashing to the floor.
If you want San Andreas fault zone class stability for your OSR5
server, I highly recommend this package.

At the other extreme is the ALR Q/SMP roll around tower server.
ALR attempted to solve the stability issue by placing the server
on rollers.  This is a good idea since buildings and bridges are
now built on rollers.  However, it only  works as long as the
rollers move freely.  It fails miserably if it rolls over a cable
or cord.  As little as 10lbs pull and 20 degress were required to
crash this server package.  It should be noted that ALR's latest
offerings look more like the HP Netserver package and are
considerably more stable.  This is an ominous trend coming from
computer manufacturers located in earthquake zones.

The generic mini-tower desktop package is also fairly unstable.
Testing the one on my desk, I was able to crash it with 15lbs
pull at 45 degrees from vertical.  This is a side effect of its
small footprint.  A spectacular improvement in stability can be
obtained by operating the mini-tower case on its side.
Additionally, placing a monitor on top will make the OSR5
workstation essentially crash proof.  In this configuration, I
was unable to crash my server at the limit of my fish scale.

I hope this answers your question.  Server stability is only in
part a software issue.  The hardware must be considered and some
tilt testing should be performed before deploying a high up-time
server.

[ ]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list  [x]I've had a bad day.

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(408)699-0483 pgr (408)426-1240 fax (408)336-2558 home
http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl   WB6SSY

1. SCO Unixware vs. SCO OSR?

Greetings.

We are an Oracle VAR that runs Oracle 7.3.3 on SCO OSR 5.0.4.  We have
heard rumors that Unixware "works better" than SCO OSR.

Which operating system to you recommend--Unixware or OSR?  Why?  Do you
run Oracle?

Thanks.
Jeff
--
Jeffery C. Cann
Senior Software Engineer

2. Lets help the newbie month

3. Sybase on OSR 5.0, stable?

4. Compiling libXaw3d.so

5. PPP from Win95 to SCO OSR 5

6. ALI chipset and Linux

7. Sco Professional(2.0.1) and OSR 5.0

8. A Simple How-To Internet Guide?

9. SCO OSR 5.0.2 - X11 License Manager problem (Part 2)

10. Filesystem for SCO OSR and RedHat Linux

11. mv SCO osr /dev/null

12. Xfree86 on SCO OSR 5.0.2

13. SCO OSR 5.0.2 - "Staircase" effect problem in remote laser printing