Printing problem - no output to serial printer

Printing problem - no output to serial printer

Post by P.R.Joh » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

OSE 5.0.0d

I acquired a cheap oldish Panasonic 130 col dot matrix with dual
parallel/serial interfaces. I want it purely for labelling. I have 2
other dot matrix serial printers - newer, but 130 col also. Both print
as required (lp -dprintername filetoprint); all three are wired
identically; all 3 run off a Specialix 16 port board. The Panasonic
is, as far as I can ascertain, installed and configured
identically to the others - I tried copying one of the other entries
to it. But I get no output from it at all; there is no file created in
/usr/spool/lp/temp though there is always an entry in
/usr/spool/lp/logs/requests. I checked the device perms,
and changed them to match the other 2. Still dead. The printer
self-tests OK. It also runs fine from the parallel port. I did once
have it working, after a fashion, on a serial port. lpstat reports
idle/accepting at all times. I've tried cat and lp.

Why would there be no file in the temp directory? It seems the file
isn't even being queued. Could this be because Unix, although
apparently installing the printer, is not recognising it for some other
reason (printer switches maybe)?

--
P.R.John

Printing problem - no output to serial printer

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Sun, 02 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: OSE 5.0.0d
Amazing.  The first posting I've read today that actually
included the complete version number.  My compliments.

: I acquired a cheap oldish Panasonic 130 col dot matrix with dual
: parallel/serial interfaces. I want it purely for labelling. I have 2
That would be a Panasonic KX-1093 or KX-1595.  You'll find that
the * bands in the tractor feed assembly stretch and cost
more than what the printer is worth to replace.

: is, as far as I can ascertain, installed and configured
: identically to the others
How?  I know it's serial, but at what baud rate, bits, parity, and
most important, what kind of handshake (xon/xoff or hardware)?
Looking at the service manual for the 1595, the serial port is
wired with the following active lines.
        1       Frame ground    --
        2       TXD             out
        3       RXD             in
        6       DSR             in
        7       SG              --
        8       DCD             in
        11      REV             out
        20      DTR             out
It seems a bit strange that DCD would be present.  Therefore, I
suspect that something needs to be done with this pin to make the
printer play.  I would suggest the following derrangement:

                PC              Printer
                1               1
                2 --------->---      3
                3 ----<--------      2
                4 --------->--- 6
                5 ----<-------- 20  (hardware flow control)
                6 -<---\------- 8
                20-----/
                7 --------------7
This is a bit bizarre but should work with both hardware and software
flow control.  The rest of the exercise is setting the 24 dip switches.
I suggest you start with xon/xoff flow control at 9600 baud.
You can test for proper flow control by simply switching the printer
on and off line.  The printout should not be mangled.

: /usr/spool/lp/temp though there is always an entry in
: /usr/spool/lp/logs/requests. I checked the device perms,

OSR5 does NOT copy the file to be printed by default (unlike
3.2v4.x which did).  You must specify:
        lp -c -d destination filename
for a file to be copied to the spooler.

Good luck.

[x] Email to author  [ ] To mailing list  [x] Posted to newsgroup
--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060

# 408.699.0483 digital_pager    73557,2074  cis [don't]

1. Weird problem: reading printer output from serial line

Hello,

I have got to get the data of a database which is stored on an old
Unisys computer running CTOS. The computer doesnt have a floppy
drive and I also dont know that operaring system. Despite that, the
computer launches an user specific application immediate after booting
so that I dont have a chance to manually copy any files.

My idea was now to print the records of the database from the
application (thats no problem) and to "fake" the printer (a Fujitsu
DL-2400 pinwriter) by my Linux box. Fortunately the printer is
connected by a serial cable so that I can connect the two mashines
with a zero modem cable (is that the correct word? Sorry, my native
language is German). I tried this yesterday and it seems to work: my
terminal program "minicom" shows "Online" when the connection is made
and "Offline" when it is disconnected. However, no data were
transmitted (at least I couldnt see any in my terminal programm, nor
by using 'tail +0 -f /dev/modem', the device the cable was connected
to).

What I am now looking for is a way/program for actually READ IN the
data printed to my computer (I expect problems with the handshake).

Does someone have an idea which program I could use for this task?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Wein

Is "Windows for Dummies" another case of "this sentence no verb?"

2. GTK+ and gdk-imlib

3. Problems printing with serial printers (even not connected)

4. print decimal in bin

5. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

6. State table errors

7. How Do I Redirect Output From A serial Printer to a Disk File

8. PCL printing problem on HP LJ 5L

9. Programmtic Output to Serial/Parallel-attached Printer

10. How to read printer′s output FROM a serial line

11. Capture output to serial printer?

12. Printing to two printers from one queue (Printers print identically not load balancing)

13. Printing Netscape's output on PCL printer???