/usr/bin/asa

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

//usr/bin/asa complies with standards, which is hunky-dory, and what
it does is pretty clear from its man page, but I cannot imagine what
kind of files would have been prepared with those initial space, 0,
1 or + on each line. (space turns out to mean whitespace, BTW.)

IOW, I'm looking at an answer for which I can't perceive the question.
:-)

--

/usr/bin/asa

Post by Randolph B. Bro » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: //usr/bin/asa complies with standards, which is hunky-dory, and what
: it does is pretty clear from its man page, but I cannot imagine what
: kind of files would have been prepared with those initial space, 0,
: 1 or + on each line. (space turns out to mean whitespace, BTW.)

: IOW, I'm looking at an answer for which I can't perceive the question.
: :-)

I don't have my SCO system available for "man asa," but the file format
sounds like Fortran carriage-control for line printers....

        space   advance 1 line before printing (normal)
        1       advance to top-of-form before printing
        +       no advance before printing
        0       advance two lines before printing

I have to admit I'm not too sure about the "0"; it's been a long, long,
time. ... rb

/usr/bin/asa

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Randolph B. Brown's CPU sent forth this bytestream:

| : //usr/bin/asa complies with standards, which is hunky-dory, and what
| : it does is pretty clear from its man page, but I cannot imagine what
| : kind of files would have been prepared with those initial space, 0,
| : 1 or + on each line. (space turns out to mean whitespace, BTW.)
|
| : IOW, I'm looking at an answer for which I can't perceive the question.
| : :-)
|
| I don't have my SCO system available for "man asa," but the file format
| sounds like Fortran carriage-control for line printers....
|
|       space   advance 1 line before printing (normal)
|       1       advance to top-of-form before printing
|       +       no advance before printing
|       0       advance two lines before printing
|
| I have to admit I'm not too sure about the "0"; it's been a long, long,
| time. ... rb

Good memory, there, Randolph!  That indeed meshes with the man page .