Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

Post by Zelda Toll » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We are running OS 5.0.2 at security level High. However we wanted to
relax some of the password defaults. This is referred to in the
manuals.  I did this via USERMOD & changed

passwdMinChangeTime from 14 to 1 day
passwdExpirationTime from 42 to 30 days
passwdChooseOwn - now set to yes
passwdRunGenerator - now set to no
passwdCheckedForObviousness - now set to no

These automatically updated the file  etc/auth/system/default
& looked fine.  However not all the changes were refelected in
SCOADMIN:.  When you add a new user via Scoadmin
Account Manager, the defaults for User can run generator and Check for

Obviousness still shows the default of 'Yes'.  User Can Pick Own has
succesfully been changed to 'Yes' i.e. the changes from No to Yes
worked but not vice versa.  The numbers for expiry and change
intervals are fine.

ANY IDEAS?!!  This is pretty frustrating.

Zelda.

UK

Post by Tom Parson » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:Zelda Tolley writes:
>We are running OS 5.0.2 at security level High. However we wanted to
>relax some of the password defaults. This is referred to in the
>manuals.  I did this via USERMOD & changed

>passwdMinChangeTime from 14 to 1 day
>passwdExpirationTime from 42 to 30 days
>passwdChooseOwn - now set to yes
>passwdRunGenerator - now set to no
>passwdCheckedForObviousness - now set to no

>These automatically updated the file  etc/auth/system/default
>& looked fine.  However not all the changes were refelected in
>SCOADMIN:.  When you add a new user via Scoadmin
>Account Manager, the defaults for User can run generator and Check for

>Obviousness still shows the default of 'Yes'.  User Can Pick Own has
>succesfully been changed to 'Yes' i.e. the changes from No to Yes
>worked but not vice versa.  The numbers for expiry and change
>intervals are fine.

>ANY IDEAS?!!  This is pretty frustrating.

Take vi in hand and make the desired changes in /etc/default/passwd.

Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

Post by Zelda Toll » Mon, 30 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Unfortunately I don't think that will help.  Making the changes via
Usermod automatically updated both etc/auth/system/default &
/etc/default/passwd.  So they both LOOK fine. They're just not
reflected in SCOADMIN.

Zelda Tolley
UK

>Zelda Tolley writes:
>>We are running OS 5.0.2 at security level High. However we wanted to
>>relax some of the password defaults. This is referred to in the
>>manuals.  I did this via USERMOD & changed

>>passwdMinChangeTime from 14 to 1 day
>>passwdExpirationTime from 42 to 30 days
>>passwdChooseOwn - now set to yes
>>passwdRunGenerator - now set to no
>>passwdCheckedForObviousness - now set to no

>>These automatically updated the file  etc/auth/system/default
>>& looked fine.  However not all the changes were refelected in
>>SCOADMIN:.  When you add a new user via Scoadmin
>>Account Manager, the defaults for User can run generator and Check for

>>Obviousness still shows the default of 'Yes'.  User Can Pick Own has
>>succesfully been changed to 'Yes' i.e. the changes from No to Yes
>>worked but not vice versa.  The numbers for expiry and change
>>intervals are fine.

>>ANY IDEAS?!!  This is pretty frustrating.
>Take vi in hand and make the desired changes in /etc/default/passwd.
>--

1. SCO OSR5 - Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

We are running SCO OS 5.0.2 at security level High. However we wanted
[...]

2. ioctl() functionality?

3. HELP HELP HELP NEWBIE Cannot get the DHCP set up properly and cannot connect to internet

4. using admintool with Solaris 2.5?

5. changing default security settings RH8.0

6. DNS

7. I am looking for Linux Security FAQ and Security related sites

8. ATI Graphics Problems

9. setenvif doesn't seem to work properly - what am I doing wrong ?

10. How to change default "days until change allowed" for useradd?

11. cdrom cannot mount properly

12. How do I properly use the 's' security switch?

13. X window cannot display properly in IBM TP 1250