Triple-boot between SCO UNIX, Win95 and Win3.11

Triple-boot between SCO UNIX, Win95 and Win3.11

Post by Rangel Transitarios, » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm trying to configure a computer to triple boot between Windows 95,
SCO UNIX (3.2v4.2 or ODT 2.0) , and DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11.
First, I installed DOS 6.22/Win311, then upgraded to Windows 95 with
dual boot. After that I installed SCO UNIX, and I lost the boot to
Windows 95. I activated the Windows 95 partition, booted from Win95
emergency disk, run sys c:, and then activated the SCO partition. This
way I can dual boot between Win95 and SCO UNIX. but I can't triple
boot to DOS 6.22/Win3.11.
Can anybody help me ? Must I upgrade my version of SCO UNIX ? Is there
any utility that allows me to use several operating systems (Win3.11,
Win95, SCO UNIX, OS/2, WIN NT, etc) in the same computer ?

Thanks in advance

Post by SuperTo » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Hi.

>I'm trying to configure a computer to triple boot between Windows 95,
>SCO UNIX (3.2v4.2 or ODT 2.0) , and DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11.
>First, I installed DOS 6.22/Win311, then upgraded to Windows 95 with
>dual boot. After that I installed SCO UNIX, and I lost the boot to
>Windows 95. I activated the Windows 95 partition, booted from Win95
>emergency disk, run sys c:, and then activated the SCO partition. This
>way I can dual boot between Win95 and SCO UNIX. but I can't triple
>boot to DOS 6.22/Win3.11.
>Can anybody help me ? Must I upgrade my version of SCO UNIX ? Is there
>any utility that allows me to use several operating systems (Win3.11,
>Win95, SCO UNIX, OS/2, WIN NT, etc) in the same computer ?

>Thanks in advance

You'll need to get a copy of System Commander 2.24. I have Linux 3.0,
Dos 6.22,Win95, Win NT and Xenix 2.3.4 all on one system. you can pick
whichever one you want. The program costs $99.00 but it is well worth
the investment. The company is V Communications and the phone # is
1-800-648-8266. There is a 60 day money-back guarantee and if you
mention "YOU SAW THIS AD IN THE MAY 1996 EDITION OF DOS WORLD"
you'll get free overnight shipping. Hope this helps!!!!

Post by SuperToo » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Hi.

>I'm trying to configure a computer to triple boot between Windows 95,
>SCO UNIX (3.2v4.2 or ODT 2.0) , and DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11.
>First, I installed DOS 6.22/Win311, then upgraded to Windows 95 with
>dual boot. After that I installed SCO UNIX, and I lost the boot to
>Windows 95. I activated the Windows 95 partition, booted from Win95
>emergency disk, run sys c:, and then activated the SCO partition. This
>way I can dual boot between Win95 and SCO UNIX. but I can't triple
>boot to DOS 6.22/Win3.11.
>Can anybody help me ? Must I upgrade my version of SCO UNIX ? Is there
>any utility that allows me to use several operating systems (Win3.11,
>Win95, SCO UNIX, OS/2, WIN NT, etc) in the same computer ?

>Thanks in advance

You'll need to get a copy of System Commander 2.24. I have Linux 3.0,
Dos 6.22,Win95, Win NT and Xenix 2.3.4 all on one system. you can pick
whichever one you want. The program costs $99.00 but it is well worth
the investment. The company is V Communications and the phone # is
1-800-648-8266. There is a 60 day money-back guarantee and if you
mention "YOU SAW THIS AD IN THE MAY 1996 EDITION OF DOS WORLD"
you'll get free overnight shipping. Hope this helps!!!!

Triple-boot between SCO UNIX, Win95 and Win3.11

Post by Darrell Tschaker » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.

>I'm trying to configure a computer to triple boot between Windows 95,
>SCO UNIX (3.2v4.2 or ODT 2.0) , and DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11.

     <SNIP TO THE END>

I use a program named lilo which comes with linux.  I do not know
for certain it it will handle more than two OS's but I don't see
why it would not.  I use it to switch between linux and DOS/Windows.
It replaces the Master Boot Record.  I think that it just causes the
system to jump to the boot record or the OS that you select.
I would not venture to guess how you would go about using it
for your particular application, however, if you put up a message
on one of the linux newsgroups, I am sure that you would be
helped.  You would at least be told whether or not it works.

Darrell Tschakert
EEOC
(202) 663-4436

Post by SuperTo » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Hi.

>I'm trying to configure a computer to triple boot between Windows 95,
>SCO UNIX (3.2v4.2 or ODT 2.0) , and DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11.
>First, I installed DOS 6.22/Win311, then upgraded to Windows 95 with
>dual boot. After that I installed SCO UNIX, and I lost the boot to
>Windows 95. I activated the Windows 95 partition, booted from Win95
>emergency disk, run sys c:, and then activated the SCO partition. This
>way I can dual boot between Win95 and SCO UNIX. but I can't triple
>boot to DOS 6.22/Win3.11.
>Can anybody help me ? Must I upgrade my version of SCO UNIX ? Is there
>any utility that allows me to use several operating systems (Win3.11,
>Win95, SCO UNIX, OS/2, WIN NT, etc) in the same computer ?

>Thanks in advance

Yes there is. The program is System Commander 2.24. I have Win95,Dos
6.22, Linux 3.0,Win NT 3.51 and Sco Xenix 2.3.4. I can add others if
I'd like. The program costs 99.00 but it is worth the investment. You
can call and ask them for more information.

V Communications
1-800-648-8266
www.v-com.com

Post by Tom Hale » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> >Hi.

> >I'm trying to configure a computer to triple boot between Windows 95,
> >SCO UNIX (3.2v4.2 or ODT 2.0) , and DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11.
> >First, I installed DOS 6.22/Win311, then upgraded to Windows 95 with
> >dual boot. After that I installed SCO UNIX, and I lost the boot to
> >Windows 95. I activated the Windows 95 partition, booted from Win95
> >emergency disk, run sys c:, and then activated the SCO partition. This
> >way I can dual boot between Win95 and SCO UNIX. but I can't triple
> >boot to DOS 6.22/Win3.11.
> >Can anybody help me ? Must I upgrade my version of SCO UNIX ? Is there
> >any utility that allows me to use several operating systems (Win3.11,
> >Win95, SCO UNIX, OS/2, WIN NT, etc) in the same computer ?

> >Thanks in advance

> Yes there is. The program is System Commander 2.24. I have Win95,Dos
> 6.22, Linux 3.0,Win NT 3.51 and Sco Xenix 2.3.4. I can add others if
> I'd like. The program costs 99.00 but it is worth the investment. You
> can call and ask them for more information.

> V Communications
> 1-800-648-8266
> www.v-com.com

I use System Commander from V Communications also. It's a very slick utilty worth
every penny.
--

Tom

Triple-boot between SCO UNIX, Win95 and Win3.11

Post by Scot Harkin » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

On Tuesday, April 23, 1996, Darrell Tschakert wrote...

> >Hi.

> >I'm trying to configure a computer to triple boot between Windows 95,
> >SCO UNIX (3.2v4.2 or ODT 2.0) , and DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11.

>      <SNIP TO THE END>

> I use a program named lilo which comes with linux.  I do not know
> for certain it it will handle more than two OS's but I don't see
> why it would not.  I use it to switch between linux and DOS/Windows.
> It replaces the Master Boot Record.  I think that it just causes the
> system to jump to the boot record or the OS that you select.
> I would not venture to guess how you would go about using it
> for your particular application, however, if you put up a message
> on one of the linux newsgroups, I am sure that you would be
> helped.  You would at least be told whether or not it works.

> Darrell Tschakert
> EEOC
> (202) 663-4436

Set SCO as the active partition, but set /etc/default/boot to whatever OS
(either Unix or DOS) you wish to start by default.

Set Win95 to give you the menu option at startup (usually F8, but get
Powertoys from Microsoft's development team, and use "TweakUI" to turn on
this option all the time), or use "multi-config" in config.sys to either
select DOS or Windows.

When loading _upgrading_ to Win95, you may choose to either overwrite DOS
and Win3.1x or install to a different directory (like c:\win95), and use
the "boot previous version of DOS" from the startup menu mentioned above.
TweakUI, BTW, will allow you to set a timeout on the menu, so it will
start Win95 automatically after n_time has passed.

BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.  There are stories about Win95 wiping SCO
partitions (MS' way of saying "why anyone else?").  I think, if you are
just upgrading an existing partition, you may not run into this problem.
It will, however, make the DOS/Win partition active, so you'll need to run
fdisk from the DOS command line and set the SCO partition to active
again.

Search the MS Knowledge Base for any notational info on multi-OS
installations.

Mounting a Win95-modified DOS partition in SCO _may_ cause problems.  SCO
handles the standard DOS stuff just fine, but not the FAT32 (long file
names) or VFAT (the real name, the other one is just my name or it).  You
risk problems in Win95 (I suspect) if you modify certain files.
Fortunately, the Win95 program files still follow the 8.3 convention, and
only give long names to the shortcuts used in startup menues.

The resulting startup looks like this:  POST completes and you get the
Boot:.  You type either Unix or DOS, or hit enter for the default in
/etc/default/boot (or let it time out to the default).  If DOS, you see
"Starting Windows95..." then get the aforementioned startup menu.  You
either select the previous version of DOS (option 8 I think) or let it
time out into Win95.

I used a configuration like this to boot from SCO's Boot:, to DOS'
multi-config (config.sys) to Linux (loadlin.exe), all on one machine.  I
had the chance, therefore, to start any of the three, in that order.

Have fun!

Scot Harkins

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU) | Systems Administrator, Thurman Ind, Bothell, WA
Renton, WA            | Native Texan.  Proud daddy and husband!

1. Booting DOS/WIN3.11, WIN95 & LINUX - is it possible?

I have a 1.1 gig harddrive.  I want DOS/WIN3.11 and Linux as my main
Operating systems.  My systme however, came with win95, I would like to
keep that on my system just in case I ever want to use it.

So far I have partitioned my drive off into 4 section.
   1st.  Primary DOS
   2nd.  Primary DOS
   3rd.  Linux Swap
   4th.  Linux Native

I have DOS 6.21 and WIN 3.11 on the first partition and WIN 95 on the 2nd.
I have Slackware Linux on the 4th and Lilo is installed in the MBR.
Right now I have to set either the 1st or the 2nd partion active to be able
to boot into them.  If I use Lilo to boot into the non active partion, it
usually tries to boot the partition, but it either locks up or asks where
command.com is.  I have tried using Linux Fdisk to make both active, but
that did not work.  Right now If I want to boot into the non-active partition
I have to use Fdisk to make that partion active and the other non and then
re-boot and then tell LiLo to boot into the new active partition.

Is there any other way to do this where I do not have to keep toggling on or
the other dos partitions active?  Would it be possible to do what I want with
a second harddrive or am I stuck with the way I am doing it now?

Any help/input is appreciated,

Mike Kirgan

2. i know i should have an external, but...

3. Linux, Win95, Win3.11/DOS setup

4. Best server? Was: What is the best newsreader?

5. NT4.0/Win95/DOS/Win3.11/Slackware/RedHat

6. Very frustrating "cant unmount properly" question??????

7. wabi win95 vs win3.11 and partitioning

8. Plug And Play

9. NT4.0+Win95+DOS/Win3.11+Redhat+Linux- all bootable

10. OS/2, Linux, WinNT, Win3.11 and Win95 on Gateway P5-133 Elite.

11. LILO lost when Win3.11 --> Win95

12. Triple boot Linux, Win3, Win9x

13. Lilo problem with triple boot Linux/Win3/Win98