PPP over telnet, is it possible?

Post by Evan Hu » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>HELP??  Is what I'm trying to do possible?  Is there something obvious I'm
>overlooking?  (probably)  BTW, I'm using whatever PPP is part of the standard
>installation of SCO.  I've seen references in the newsgroup to "morningstar
>ppp", which I presume is an add-on, and as far as I know we just have whatever
>is in the base SCO product installed.

You're right, morning star is an add-on product, but if you're running
5.0.4, it'll be on the OS CD.  Otherwise you can grab an evaluation copy
of it at www2.sco.com/downloads, if you want.

Connecting over telnet with morning star is breeze easy; you just
edit the "/usr/lib/mstppp/Systems" file, and replace the tty device
field with "telnet/<ip address>/23".

I don't know how to do it with SCO PPP.

--
                  Evan Hunt   -   evanh at sco dot com

"[Company name deleted] is endeavorily determined to promote constant attention
on current procedures of transacting business focusing emphasis on innovative
ways to better, if not supercede, the expectations of quality!"  - actual memo

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

| At work I have two sco boxes, one of which I have administrative (i.e.
| root) priviledges and one on which I do not.  I would like to set up
| PPP, but the machine which has dialup access is the one for which I do
| not have root access.
|
| Well, I thought I would be a Mr. Smarty pants and just telnet to
| the machine for which I was able to configure PPP, and do my PPP
| connection that way.

That doesn't make any sense.  PPP is a protocol designed to carry TCP/IP
traffic over serial connections (usually involving modems).  Once you
have such a connection, you can run telnet, ftp, ping or several other
such programs.

Since you can already telnet between your two sites, you obviously have a
TCP/IP link between those sites; what is it you think you need PPP for?

--

Post by John W. Templ » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>| At work I have two sco boxes, one of which I have administrative (i.e.
>| root) priviledges and one on which I do not.  I would like to set up
>| PPP, but the machine which has dialup access is the one for which I do
>| not have root access.
>|
>| Well, I thought I would be a Mr. Smarty pants and just telnet to
>| the machine for which I was able to configure PPP, and do my PPP
>| connection that way.

>That doesn't make any sense.  PPP is a protocol designed to carry TCP/IP
>traffic over serial connections (usually involving modems).  Once you
>have such a connection, you can run telnet, ftp, ping or several other
>such programs.

I think what he's saying is that the box which has modems attached to
it doesn't have PPP configured, and he doesn't have root access to
allow him to do so.  He can dial in and get a regular shell access
through the modems, but not IP access.  From there, he can telnet to
another box where he's capable of setting up PPP.

What comes to mind as a solution is running something like slirp on the
dialup server, and ignore the other server.
--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

PPP over telnet, is it possible?

Post by John W. Templ » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>| At work I have two sco boxes, one of which I have administrative (i.e.
>| root) priviledges and one on which I do not.  I would like to set up
>| PPP, but the machine which has dialup access is the one for which I do
>| not have root access.
>That doesn't make any sense.  PPP is a protocol designed to carry TCP/IP
>traffic over serial connections (usually involving modems).  Once you
>have such a connection, you can run telnet, ftp, ping or several other
>such programs.

I think what he's saying is that the box which has modems attached to
it doesn't have PPP configured, and he doesn't have root access to
allow him configure it.  He can dial in and get shell access through
the modems, but not IP access.  From there, he can telnet to another
box where he's capable of setting up PPP.

What comes to mind as a solution is running something like slirp on the
dialup server, and ignore the other server.

--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

PPP over telnet, is it possible?

Post by PAL30 » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 Why not ask the root administrator to setup a PPP account for you?

Paul

Quote:>And I
>can't just set up PPP on the machine which I dial directly into because I
>don't have root/administrative priviledges on that box.

>Eric

--------------------------------------
To reply by email, please take out the
words REMOVETHIS from my email address

PPP over telnet, is it possible?

Post by Evan Hu » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I have dial-up access to the first machine, which
>allows me one terminal window.      From that terminal window, yes, I can telnet,
>ftp, etc, but there is no TCP/IP link between my local machine and the
>dial-in machine, I just have one terminal window.  I can't telnet from my
>LOCAL machine, ftp from my LOCAL machine, have multiple windows etc...      And I
>can't just set up PPP on the machine which I dial directly into because I
>don't have root/administrative priviledges on that box.

Aha.  I think I understand now.

You want an IP connection from machine A to machine C--
A dialing to B, then B telnetting to C.

You need to have a shell account on B, and in its .profile,
have it prompt you for whether you want to telnet to C.

From A, you'd see login:/Password: prompts for B, and then
a question about whether to start telnet, and finally another pair
of login:/Password: prompts for C.  So you need to change the chat
script on A to answer all those questions correctly.

It's klugey, but it seems like it ought to work.

--
                  Evan Hunt   -   evanh at sco dot com

"[Company name deleted] is endeavorily determined to promote constant attention
on current procedures of transacting business focusing emphasis on innovative
ways to better, if not supercede, the expectations of quality!"  - actual memo

1. Q: SLIP / PPP over telnet ?possible

I have very good network access via telnet and other TEXT based interfaces. I
want to run a web browser on my local machine and am trying to find the best
way to do this. Basically I need some sort of tcp/ip connection running over a
serial link but don't have access to SLIP or PPP via the link :-( Is it
possible to run either of these over telnet then into something like
/etc/slattach running under a pseudo terminal?

Any ideas welcome.

Iain

2. skb_padto and small fragmented transmits

3. PPP over telnet; it IS possible! :)

4. ASCEND RADIUS startup problem

5. Possible telnet solution to ppp problem?

6. samba authentification problems?

7. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

8. Windows 95--the Operating System from HELL!

9. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

10. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

11. Routing for a ppp client via another ppp link - possible?

12. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

13. PPP/Telnet - What tty invoked a telnet session?