SCO SHIPS "SCO INTERNET FAMILY"

Post by John Reynol » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
: CONTACT:
:                                         Monika Laud
:                                         SCO
:                                         TEL:  408/427-7421
:                                         FAX: 408/427-5448

:
:
:                SCO SHIPS "SCO INTERNET FAMILY"
:
:    Cost-Effective, Best-of-Breed Web Server Solutions Now
:         Available for Business Critical Environments
:
:
: SANTA CRUZ, CA (June 26, 1996) -- Delivering on its strategy
: to  provide  Internet  and Intranet  solutions  to  business
: customers  through its more than 7,000 resellers  worldwide,
: SCO  (NASDAQ:SCOC) today announced first customer  shipments
: of the SCO Internet Family of products.
:
: The  foundation  of  the  SCO Internet  Family  is  the  SCO
: Internet  FastStart, a fully integrated, low-cost,  easy-to-
: configure,  general purpose Internet/Intranet  server.  Also
: available  is  a  comprehensive  set  of  layered  products,
: including specialty Web servers from Netscape Communications
: Corp. and Oracle Corp., an Internet to NetWare Gateway,  Web
: browsers and security products.
:
: "Earlier  this  year,  we  made a commitment  to  offer  our
: customers   best-of-breed  web   technologies   to   realize
: benefits of the Internet and Intranet," said Jeff Ait, SCO's
: vice  president,  Internet. "To get  a  quality  product  to
: market  quickly,  we  knew  we had  to  stick  to  our  core
: competencies -- operating system technologies -- and partner
: with  industry leaders. We have accomplished this  with  our
: first  release  of  the SCO Internet  Family.  Our  list  of
: Internet  technology partners continues  to  grow,  ensuring
: that  our  Internet  family will remain competitive  in  the
: rapidly changing Internet space."
: Strategic  agreements have also been announced with  Morning
: Star Technologies, Inc. for PPP technologies; Micro Computer
: Systems,  Inc. for gateway technology; JavaSoft for  general
: purpose  Java  development; *Cash, Inc.  for  electronic
: commerce;  NETCOM On-Line Communication Services,  Inc.  for
: Internet   connectivity;  Trend   Micro   Inc.   for   virus
: protection;  and  Verity,  Inc.  for  search  and  retrieval
: technology.  Integrating  the  technologies,  products   and
: services  from  these  companies is part  of  SCO's  ongoing
: strategy  to  become a leader in the Internet  and  Intranet
: server markets. Additionally, it parallels SCO's strategy to
: make Internet technology pervasive throughout the company.
:
: Combining  industry-leading  web  technologies,   with   the
: scalability of SCO's high-volume UNIX operating system,  and
: inexpensive Intel processor-based hardware, the SCO Internet
: Family   is   ideally   suited  for  a   wide   variety   of
: Internet/Intranet environments. It has been in beta  testing
: since  mid-April  and  evaluated for multiple  applications.
: Mini  Byte  Software, Inc., a beta program  participant  and
: reseller, is now recommending the SCO Internet FastStart  to
: its ISP (Internet Service Provider) customers.
:
: "One  key  benefit  of  this  product  is  the  service  and
: support,"  said  Allan  Woolway,  president  of  Mini   Byte
: Software, Inc. "SCO Internet FastStart is a fully-integrated
: Web  server  on the Intel platform, with a stable  operating
: system  and  full support. Other UNIX on Intel  Web  servers
: don't offer the service and support of SCO, which we feel is
: important.  SCO  Internet  FastStart  also  offers   greater
: functionality than other systems. I already have an ISP  who
: has   experimented   with  an  NT-based   server   and   was
: disappointed with its functionality. He's now looking to buy
: SCO systems to run his business. SCO has hit the nail on the
: head with this product. I highly recommend it."
:
: BTG,  Inc., a full-service computer company specializing  in
: building and selling computers as well as high-end technical
: consulting, found significant benefits while evaluating  the
: SCO Internet FastStart.
:
: "I  was  amazed  at  how  easy  multiple  domains  could  be
: configured using SCO's custom interface," said Paul Fischer,
: Internet  Administrator for BTG. "I was  also  very  pleased
: with  the  Netscape products and found them  to  be  tightly
: integrated  with SCO's base operating system. I believe  the
: entire Internet community will profit from this new product,
: and  commend SCO's accomplishment in providing its customers
: with a solid solution."
:
: For  more  information on the SCO Internet Family see  SCO's
: home page at http://www.veryComputer.com/.
:
: About SCO
: SCO  is the world's leading supplier of UNIX server and host
: systems,   and  a  leading  provider  of  client-integration
: software that integrates Windows PCs and other clients  with
: UNIX  servers from all major vendors. SCO Business  Critical
: Servers  run  the critical, day-to-day operations  of  large
: branch  organizations  in  retail,  finance,  telecom,   and
: government,  as well as corporate departments and  small  to
: medium-sized  businesses  of  every  kind.  SCO  sells   and
: supports  its  products  through  a  worldwide  network   of
: distributors, resellers, systems integrators, and OEMs.  For
: additional corporate and product information, see SCO's home
: page on the World Wide Web: http://www.veryComputer.com/.
:                              ###
:
: SCO,  The  Santa  Cruz  Operation, the  SCO  logo,  and  SCO
: OpenServer  are trademarks or registered trademarks  of  The
: Santa  Cruz  Operation, Inc. in the USA and other countries.
: UNIX   is  a  registered  trademark  in  the  US  and  other
: countries,  licensed  exclusively  through  X/Open   Company
: Limited.  Netscape is a trademark of Netscape Communications
: Corporation.  Oracle  is a registered  trademark  of  Oracle
: Corporation,  Redwood  City,  California.  JavaSoft   is   a
: division  of  Sun Microsystems, Inc. Java is a trademark  of
: Sun  Microsystems, Inc. All other brand or product names are
: or  may  be trademarks of, and are used to identify products
: or services of, their respective owners.
:
:
: Brian Ziel
: SCO Public Relations
: Tel: 408-427-7252
: Fax: 408-427-5418

Yeh, No Unixware support.....

Post by Bela Lubki » Mon, 01 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> :                SCO SHIPS "SCO INTERNET FAMILY"

[press release deleted]

Quote:> Yeh, No Unixware support.....

UnixWare support is in the works.  The project was underway, using
OpenServer, before SCO even started to buy UnixWare.  Shifting gears in
the middle of development would probably have caused SCO Internet Fast
Start for *both* platforms to have shipped later than the UnixWare
version will now ship.  You would, for instance, still be waiting
another few months for any sort of Netscape Navigator to be available at
all.
Quote:>Bela<

Post by Robert E. Laughli » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> another few months for any sort of Netscape Navigator to be available at
> all.

> >Bela<

        Bela in the message above you addressed unixware and OS 5.0.  How
about us people that have to continue to use Open Desktop 3.0?

                                        Bob

Robert E. Laughlin     NCCOSC RDT&E Div (NRaD) These opinions are mine.

Whatever else it does, 'SUMP PUMP BACKUP ALARM SILENCER SWITCH' is a
phrase that not only sings, but packs its own rhythm section.
                                -- Veronica Sullivan

SCO SHIPS "SCO INTERNET FAMILY"

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    Bela in the message above you addressed unixware and OS 5.0.  How
> about us people that have to continue to use Open Desktop 3.0?

Mosaic and Lynx are available as browsers; CERN, NCSA, Apache, Spinner,
and several other HTTP servers; PPP built in to the product.  The fancy
new integrated stuff -- SCO Internet FastStart bundles etc. -- are
targeted for the newer platforms.
Quote:>Bela<

Post by Robert Chalme » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: > another few months for any sort of Netscape Navigator to be available at
: > all.
: > >Bela<
:       Bela in the message above you addressed unixware and OS 5.0.  How
: about us people that have to continue to use Open Desktop 3.0?
: Robert E. Laughlin     NCCOSC RDT&E Div (NRaD) These opinions are mine.

The answer will be something like "Whats Open Desktop 3.0", or the more
usual, "Why don't you upgrade". Netscape dont make a version for
anything earlier than V5, and due to some sort of moneyspinning arrangement
with SCO, dont make the V5 Netscape available in their download area
either. You want it, go to SCO. Did I hear somewhere that SCO was owned
by Microsoft :-)

bc

--
The China House                                 Sheng Huo Jiu Shi Dou Zheng

Location: Whitsunday Web Works.                 21'7" S, 149'14" E.