Is SCO's 'ansi' definition documented anywhere?

Is SCO's 'ansi' definition documented anywhere?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

John H propounded (on Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 02:32:28PM -0500):

| Looking for help with the emulation portion of a telnet client.
|
| I'm just looking for any documentation defining SCO's 'scoansi' or 'ansi'
| term types.
|
| Most 'ansi' emuls puke when connected to SCO, because the emul is thinking
| some other ansi.. love these standards...

Use the source!  Look at the scoansi entries in /etc/termcap and
/usr/lib/terminfo/terminfo.src.

There were extensive changes from OSR 5.0.5 to OSR 5.0.6

Or save your time and install Anzio, which costs $25/seat, and gets it right.

--
JP

Post by Brian K. Whit » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:14:38

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:27:29 GMT, the entity known as Jean-Pierre Radley

> >John H propounded (on Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 02:32:28PM -0500):
> >|
> >| Looking for help with the emulation portion of a telnet client.
> >|
> >| I'm just looking for any documentation defining SCO's 'scoansi' or 'ansi'
> >| term types.
> >|
> >| Most 'ansi' emuls puke when connected to SCO, because the emul is thinking
> >| some other ansi.. love these standards...

> >Use the source!  Look at the scoansi entries in /etc/termcap and
> >/usr/lib/terminfo/terminfo.src.

> >There were extensive changes from OSR 5.0.5 to OSR 5.0.6

> >Or save your time and install Anzio, which costs $25/seat, and gets it right.

> Now.. that would defeat the purpose of me learning anything, wouldn't it?

> I have many scoansi emuls.. termlite, powertem, and even anzio.  I'm looking
> to help get scoansi emulation built into the console telnet app.
> http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=4675

> digging up the src file now...

you want to use windows console telnet to sco and have it look and work
nice?

I think then what you need is not a thorough knowledge of scoansi, but a
thorough knowledge of dos ansi.sys, and create a termcap & terminfo
entries that describe the behaviour & control of a dos/win console. then
whenever logging in from a dos/win box, say to sco "TERM=dosansi ;export
TERM" ... what do you know, there is already a half-assed dosansi/ansi.sys
in /etc/termcap
 also I'd look up esr's site for his megga termcap reference. (punch in
"termcap raymond" in a search engine, your looking for Eric S. Raymond's
termcap page, All I remember of the url is that it contains the word
"snark".)

if you are looking for some already existing termcap for so that you can
telnet from any win box to any sco box without having to either
A) download, install and configure a special telnet client on the PC
B) patch in a special termcap entry or copy a special termcap file and
modify start scripts to use it

you'll probably have to settle for a very basic vt100 setting, which
should work well enough to edit config files with vi without trashing
them, display man pages sensibly, and use ftp.
scoadmin should work although probably look ugly.

what else does one need for those "cought-without-my-stuff-handy"
situations?

--
Brian K. White                   http://www.squonk.net/users/linut
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 05:14:38 GMT, the entity known as "Brian K. White"

>Not gonna settle. If I have to settle, I use hyperterm. Geez.. just
>had a vision of my four year old jumping up and down and stamping
>her feet screaming "I want that' ...

Hyperterm that ships with WinXX can be greatly improved by the free
download to the private edition from Hilgraeve.  You can get the
address from the help on Hyperterm.

That being said there is a buffer overflow problem on Hyperterm
that Hilgreave just announced today - I got mail from them Oct 19.
Fix is at their site.

--

Post by Brian K. Whit » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> [...]

> >entries that describe the behaviour & control of a dos/win console. then
> >whenever logging in from a dos/win box, say to sco "TERM=dosansi ;export
> >TERM" ... what do you know, there is already a half-assed dosansi/ansi.sys
> >in /etc/termcap
> > also I'd look up esr's site for his megga termcap reference. (punch in
> >"termcap raymond" in a search engine, your looking for Eric S. Raymond's
> >termcap page, All I remember of the url is that it contains the word
> >"snark".)

> Actually, it seems what I need to find out more about is what characters SCO
> is sending my way when it is trying to print the vt100-style graphics and
> doing cursor repositioning.  This seems to be the only hangup.  All my
> function keys and arrow, home, del, page down, etc. keys work as expected. (
> What, you have no etc. key?)

> Some of the graphic characters come out fine, others print other characters

> redraws or the cursor gets positioned.. it sorta messes things up a bit.
> Setting termtype to dosansi uses ascii (|,-, and +) to represent line drawing
> characters, but function and arrow keys are useless. Seems 'dosansi' and
> 'vt100' have a bit in common when representing graphic characters with this
> client.

> vi and vim both work quite well with the console telnet app in ansi mode.
> I'm impressed.

> >if you are looking for some already existing termcap for so that you can
> >telnet from any win box to any sco box without having to either
> >A) download, install and configure a special telnet client on the PC
> >B) patch in a special termcap entry or copy a special termcap file and
> >modify start scripts to use it
> >you'll probably have to settle for a very basic vt100 setting, which
> >should work well enough to edit config files with vi without trashing
> >them, display man pages sensibly, and use ftp.
> >scoadmin should work although probably look ugly.

> Not gonna settle.  If I have to settle, I use hyperterm.  Geez.. just had a
> vision of my four year old jumping up and down and stamping her feet
> screaming "I want that' ...

> I would like to help Mr. Brannan get a decent scoansi emulation into his
> Console Telnet for Win32 project.  His product is free software under the GNU
> general public license and I personally commend him for this contribution to
> the win32 community. Paraphrasing some comments on his site about Console
> Telnet, it has been tested using vttest at
> http://www.kermit-project.org/vttest.html and has scored a 91, whereas the
> console telnet included with windows 2000 only scores a 39. Well, this test
> only tests vt100 performance, and it is very good.  I've even run scoadmin in
> vt100 mode and it works well, even if the arrow keys don't perform.

> >what else does one need for those "cought-without-my-stuff-handy"
> >situations?

> Hyperterm or the old basic windows telnet.

but what is the gist of this?
Do you just want real good full terminal emulation? if so, that already
exists in the form of *sveral* telnet and serial clients. several already
work "out-of-the-box" for scoansi, several more can be configured to work
perfectly with a little work.

PuTTY, Anita, Anzio, W95-Kermit, MS-DOS-Kermit (yes msdos kermit is a
*great* telnet client), procomm, Deja/ICE, CRT, numerous shareware MUD
clients, at least 2 different java applets, basically any "ansi" terminal
that can be customized can be tweaked into doing 99% perfect scoansi. but
that's the catch. as far as I know, you can't customize the dos or windows
stock telnet clients. what you *can* do is the obverse, describe the
client to sco by writing a full termcap and terminfo entry.

But I was under the impression that what you wanted was a good working
terminal using only what can be found already on Win9x boxes, this way you
can develop a set of instructions that can be used by you or anyone,
anywhere, anytime. can't get there from here :). no way of getting around
either doing some work to the client pc by installing a better telnet
client, or at least customizing one of the ones that's included (if that's
even possible), or doing work on the sco box by writing a good termcap and
terminfo for windows telnet or hyperterm and then installing those on any
sco boxes you want to talk to.

--

Post by Frank da Cr » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

: ...  W95-Kermit, MS-DOS-Kermit (yes msdos kermit is a
: *great* telnet client) ...
:
Kermit 95 for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

Kermit 95 includes full SCOANSI emulation, which is a matter of both
keyboard and screen.

MS-DOS Kermit supports the (improperly so-called) "ANSI" terminal type,
but that's not the same as SCOANSI; although you can customize the keys,
you can't make it support incoming escape sequences that it doesn't know
about.

- Frank

Post by Ian Peatt » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>Nope. No. no.  I obviously have a hard time getting my point across or
>explaining myself.  I'm not looking for an existing telnet client.  I have
>many of those, and they all work very well.

>I wish to help with creating (yet another) console-mode telnet client for the
>win32 platform.

The man page for 'screen' on OS5 might help you.

    Ian.

--

Edinburgh, Scotland.

Post by Brian K. Whit » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:51:35

> Nope. No. no.  I obviously have a hard time getting my point across or
> explaining myself.  I'm not looking for an existing telnet client.  I have
> many of those, and they all work very well.

> I wish to help with creating (yet another) console-mode telnet client for the
> win32 platform.  The reason is just because I want to do this, and not
> because I need to or anything like that. I've seen and used a lot of
> 'shareware' clients, but have yet to find a good 'freeware' or public-domain
> client, and then one that operates in console-mode.  I'm sure that statement
> will elicit a few more responses about clients that already exist. oh well.

> I'm really sorry to cause such a confusing mess over this subject, but I
> can't say I haven't learned anything.

ahhh in that case, you need only the manual!

man termcap, and man terminfo for starters, typed on a sco box, as well as
simply looking at the existing scoansi termcap entry and the scoansi
terminfo entry.

they describe the terminals characteristics to the all the programs the
need to interact via a scoansi terminal, which is all the programs on the
system, they are, by definition, _the_definition_ of "scoansi", actually
they are a subset of all that is "scoansi, since you can't possibly
describe *everything*, but they describe enough for programs to control
the screen and read the keyboard and basically interact with the user.

so the new question is, What do you wish to know that is not described by
the terminfo and termcap sources, and explained by the man-pages ? Or was
it simply a case of not realising that was all you needed?