SCO fixes filters with printcap

SCO fixes filters with printcap

Post by Gary Quirin » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00



For anyone that might be interested, five years later SCO has finally made
an effort to fix filters with printcap in OpenServer.

I don't have the ambition to try it, as I'm really happy using netcat.

Here's the email I received from them:

Gary,

re: lpd and filters

I am happy to announce that we have a new lpd that we have tested and found
to
function normally with filters on SCO Open Server 5.0.5. I am placing the
new
lpd binary at ftpput.sco.com/tmp/828940. After download the file should be
the following permissions and size;

-rws--x--x      1 root  bin     86288   lpd

We were able to use filters properly when having the "of" param in
/etc/printcap point directly to the "executable" filter. The following is
an
example of a filter we used and then an example of our /etc/printcap file;

# vi /filter/828940
#!/bin/sh
exec /bin/hd

# vi /etc/printcap
rhea.lpd:\

:lp=:rm=rhea.uss.sco.com:rp=rhea.lpd:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/rhea.lpd:mx#0:of=/filter/828940:

We used /bin/hd and /usr/bin/xtod in the 828940 filter and got the desired
output when printing.

We are very interested to see this work for you. Please reply at your
earliest
convenience with the results.

Regards,
Michael Stokes
SCO Support Engineer II

 
 
 

SCO fixes filters with printcap

Post by John DuBo » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:55:31




Quote:>For anyone that might be interested, five years later SCO has finally made
>an effort to fix filters with printcap in OpenServer.

I don't know the history of this before it was bugreported (about a year ago),
but it's worth noting that the problem here was a combination of doc bug and a
lacking in the Berkeley print daemon.  The man page for printcap erroneously
indicated that the output filter specified by 'of' has something to do with
lpfilter (it doesn't).  Meanwhile, the reason it didn't work for remote
printers is simply that there was absolutely no such support present in the
Berkeley lpd, at least not the version SCO started with - in it, output filters
could only be used with a local printer and were silently ignored for remote
printers.  It required substantial changes to add this support (rather than
simply fixing the man page to explain how output filters really work and note
that they are only for local printers).

        John
--


 
 
 

SCO fixes filters with printcap

Post by Gary Quirin » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00






>>For anyone that might be interested, five years later SCO has finally made
>>an effort to fix filters with printcap in OpenServer.

>I don't know the history of this before it was bugreported (about a year ago),
>but it's worth noting that the problem here was a combination of doc bug and a
>lacking in the Berkeley print daemon.  The man page for printcap erroneously
>indicated that the output filter specified by 'of' has something to do with

It may be only 1 year for that particular SRO, but I had the problem with
5.0.0.  I called it in back then but did not push enough.  It was 1 year
ago, that I really needed the ability to have filters.  SCO was incredibly
difficult to convince them that it did not work.  I don't care if it's doc
or coding, but the bottom line was no one at SCO could make it work.

The person to really thank for addressing this issue is Gail Johnston. She
is (was) a SCO account rep that really made the effort to get support to
admit that there was a problem.

Gary Quiring