Need to know IP address or hostname in telnetd sessions

Need to know IP address or hostname in telnetd sessions

Post by David A. Roge » Sat, 16 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I am running 5.0.2 and have a problem with an application (Maxwell)
that assigns session options using the tty value. The old user base
was all serial. I am changing over to TCP/IP and as such I
can not control the ttyp? connection numbers.

Maxwell uses the serial ttyr? value to search a sequence list to assign
a TASK ID, which could have unique terminal colors and printer assign to
the connected serial terminal device. I can execute Maxwell passing a
TASK ID to use, instead of it doing a lookup. I planned to use a simple
grep on a text file with "hostname TID" table

I played around with using the following script:

        # get tty to X
        X=tty | awk -F"/" '{print $3}'
        # get hostname from /etcwtmpx using tty
        last -n 1 -W /etc/wtmpx -h -t $X | awk '{print $4}'

The $ values may be off, the real script is at work...

The "last" command returned the hostname appended with the day
of the week. There was not a space between the hostname and the next
field value.

Is there a better way, a simple tool or command I don't know of
that will return the telnetd connected hostname or IP address
is a variable.

David A. Roger

Post by Neal Rhode » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I am running 5.0.2 and have a problem with an application (Maxwell)
> that assigns session options using the tty value. The old user base
> was all serial. I am changing over to TCP/IP and as such I
> can not control the ttyp? connection numbers.

> Is there a better way, a simple tool or command I don't know of
> that will return the telnetd connected hostname or IP address
> is a variable.

> David A. Roger

try who -mx

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (770)-
972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:
978-4741

                          http://www.mnopltd.com/

Post by Steve Faba » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I am running 5.0.2 and have a problem with an application (Maxwell)
> that assigns session options using the tty value. The old user base
> was all serial. I am changing over to TCP/IP and as such I
> can not control the ttyp? connection numbers.

> Maxwell uses the serial ttyr? value to search a sequence list to assign
> a TASK ID, which could have unique terminal colors and printer assign to
> the connected serial terminal device.

snip

> Is there a better way, a simple tool or command I don't know of
> that will return the telnetd connected hostname or IP address
> is a variable.

> David A. Roger

I have a client running Maxwell on a 5.0.0 system using FacetWin
terminal and FacetWin remote printer support.

It has been several months ago when I installed the FacetWin product
and I don't remember any specific issues with "task ID."

We found that it does'nt make much difference what ttyp is assigned
to a user as all the networked users are running FacetWin terminal
emulation from Windows 95 pc and all are setup to be identical: Using
the scoansi term emulation mode and selecting ansi for terminal type
upon login.

The attached printers are setup in Windows 95 and then shared to the
windows network as betty_hp, donna_hp etc.  We ran fct_rlpadmin
to defin UNIX printers fct_betty_hp and fct_donna_hp and then ran
Maxwell's install (setup?) un /usr/lib/BASIC and setup printers
fct_betty_hp and fct_donna_hp as spooled printers as the following:

.... .... .... (maxwell stuff) lp -dfct_betty_hp -s -onobanner
.... .... .... ............... lp -dfct_donna_hp -s -onobanner

I had to modify the interface scripts to pipe the output throug a
filter we created named ffstrip to strip the trailing formfeed
from Maxwell jobs.  I also remember having specific problems with
attached laser printers, the dot-matrix worked with less problems.

If you want more details, let me know and I will get permision from
the client to review the system and get specific configuration
information.

                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                        816/765-1670

1. dynamic ip address - how to get to know my ip address?

Hi there,

my ISP provides me with a dynamic ip address. I'm using a wireless LAN
router made by SMC to connect to the internet. I want to get to know the
public ip address from a computer that is located in the local network
behind the router's firewall. But, of course, the router's NAT replaces the
public ip address with the local one.

How do I get to know the public ip address the ISP gave me?

Currently, I'm not using Linux. But I consider to set up a Linux box that
will be accessible from the internet. I guess, this problem is not
platform-dependent. Unfortunately, my router does not have a telnet
interface or any other interface that would provide me with the public ip
address. Only, if login to the web interface manually, I can see the current
status including the current ip address.

Can I solve this problem with standard TCP/IP tools? "ping" does not give
any evidence -- I was sniffing with Ethereal to miss no information.

Do I need help from an external system that can tell me my ip address? Is
there a service, I can use?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes

2. how to detect cpu-hogging processes?

3. using mac address instead of an IP address of hostname

4. Configuring Frontpage extensions for Apache

5. How to determine a mac address on a remote computer with only ip address known?

6. Solaris 7 and vfork

7. from known MAC address to find IP address

8. proxy

9. Wanted : extended telnetd with user and IP address based access control

10. Have IP Address need MAC address

11. ping works for IP Addresses but fails for hostname

12. How to change a hostname and IP address?

13. Dynamic IP address and hostname