comp.unix.sco.misc Administrative FAQ

Post by Stephen M. Du » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Revision Information
--------------------
Version:  2.05
Date:     13 October 1995
Author:   Stephen M. Dunn
          step...@bokonon.ussinc.com
New Features:  Updated information on Anomaly archive

NOTE:  All lines that have been added or modified since the last
       version are marked with ** at the start of the line, except
       in cases where an entire section has been added.

THANKS:  I can't do this without the help of a number of other people.
  You know who you are.  Thank you.

Table of Contents
-What is the automated request address?
-What is the human-maintained administrative address?
-How do I unsubscribe?
-What if my unsubscribe request doesn't work?
-How do I change my subscription address?
-I think I'll send a test to make sure I can get through to the list
-Are there any other SCO mailing lists?
-What exactly do I find in each of the newsgroups?
-How do I send articles to these mailing lists?
-I have a product that runs under SCO and I want to tell the world!
-I always get multiple copies of articles!
-I sometimes get multiple copies of articles!
-Are there any other SCO newsgroups?
-Are there any other non-SCO-specific Unix newsgroups?
-What other stuff shows up here periodically?
-Where can I find this FAQ list?
-I have a suggestion/correction for the FAQ list

Net.Etiquette
-Where do my messages go?
-What do I put in my .signature?
-How much of the previous message should I include in my reply?
-I think I'll send a test to make sure I can get through to the list
-Nobody replied to my question, so I'll send it again
-SCO sucks and <someone else> has a better product!
-This isn't the right place to post this question, but ...
-I like to use tabs in my email
-I have a technical question

What is SCO's phone number?
-How do I connect to SCO's machines?
-Tell me about SLSes, EFSes, etc.

How do I send email to SCO?

I'm looking for such-and-such a program.  Where is it?

SCO Software Archive Sites
-The Anomaly SCO Software Archive
-KUSO - the Kanji Users Service Operation
-The (unofficial) SCO ODT Ported Software Compendium
-Xenitec Archives
-TeleSys Unix/Xenix Software Archive
-ftp.celestial.com
-Other sites

How do I ftp files via email?

How do I contact a vendor for drivers and/or technical support?

Is SCO accessible via CompuServe?

[End of Table of Contents]

First, a simple definition
  are here somewhere.

  There are two other FAQs which appear here from time to time.
  Ed Hew maintains the "FAQ:  SCO Unix newsgroups and mailing lists"
  FAQ, which contains background on these newsgroups/mailing lists
  and information on common administrative procedures.  Bela Lubkin
  maintains an FTP site FAQ which is far more comprehensive than
  the one included in this FAQ.

  There is also a list below of other newsgroups which often
  cover material which relates to SCO Xenix and Unix as well as
  other Unix systems.  Many of these newsgroups also have FAQs
  which you may wish to research.  For those questions which just
  can't wait, many FAQs are archived on rtfm.mit.edu, in a
  directory structure organized into the same hierarchy as Usenet
  news.

Next, a word to those who want technical information
look for the companion list which deals with all sorts of technical
questions.  The Technical FAQ consists of two parts.  The Administrative
FAQ and both parts of the Technical FAQ are posted at the same time,
approximately every fourteen days, so they should reach you at about
the same time.

What happened to biz.sco.*?
---------------------------
   In December 1994, a formal RFD (Request For Discussion, an article
which officially begins discussion on proposed additions, changes, or
deletions to Usenet newsgroups) was issued proposing that the biz.sco
hierarchy be moved and reorganized into a new hierarchy,
comp.unix.sco.  The CFV (Call For Votes, an article which officially
solicits votes on a proposal initiated via an RFD) was issued in March
1995; it passed in April 1995.  In that same month, the following
three newsgroups were created:

comp.unix.sco.announce          Announcements about SCO Unix. (moderated)
comp.unix.sco.programmer        Programming in and for SCO Environments.
comp.unix.sco.misc              SCO Unix, Systems, and Environments.

   The existing biz.sco hierarchy was not deleted at this time to
allow for a graceful cutover.  As is normal Usenet practice, after a
suitable period of coexistence, it has been removed; the news control
messages to remove the biz.sco newsgroups were sent on 3 June 1995.

   Many of the biz.sco newsgroups were also available via mailing
lists.  Subscribers to those mailing lists will find that their
subscriptions have been transformed into subscriptions to the
appropriate comp.unix.sco newsgroups.

Mailing List Stuff
------------------
What is the automated request address?
  The address is scomsc-requ...@xenitec.on.ca - do NOT send administrative
  requests to the list itself!

What is the human-maintained administrative address?
  The address is scomsc-ad...@xenitec.on.ca.  Use this address ONLY if
  you can not get the automated one to do what you want.

How do I unsubscribe?
  Send a message to scomsc-requ...@xenitec.on.ca with one of the following
  lines in it:
        Delete: scomsc: yourname@yourmachine
        Delete: scomsc: foo!bar!yourmachine!yourname
  You MUST use the same format and address you used when you subscribed.
  If you do not know what this address was, try unsubscribing with
  the most likely candidate - whatever you normally give as your
  email address.  Please do not use the human-maintained address
  unless you have exhausted all possibilities with the automated
  address.

What if my unsubscribe request doesn't work?
  Check your request; make sure you didn't misspell anything.  If all
  else fails, send a note to scomsc-ad...@xenitec.on.ca detailing your
  problem.  Do _not_ send a note to the list; we are powerless to
  do anything about it.

How do I change my subscription address?
  Well, you can send multiple requests in the same administrative
  request.  However, there is a waiting period for Add: requests,
  so you may want to send a message to add yourself at your new
  address first, then wait until that succeeds before deleting your
  old address.

  The format of an add request is the same as a delete request,
  except that you replace the "Delete:" with an "Add:".

I think I'll send a test to make sure I can get through to the list
  Don't.  See the Net.Etiquette section for more info.

Are there any other SCO mailing lists?
  As there are three newsgroups in this hierarchy, so there are
  three mailing lists.
  Send requests for:         To this address:
  comp.unix.sco.misc         scomsc-requ...@xenitec.on.ca
  comp.unix.sco.announce     scoann-requ...@xenitec.on.ca
  comp.unix.sco.programmer   scoprg-requ...@xenitec.on.ca

  In each case, use the same format as listed in the answer to
  "How do I unsubscribe?", but replace scomsc with scoann or
  scoprg as appropriate.

What exactly do I find in each of the newsgroups?
  Here are the charters for these newsgroups, as they appeared in the
  CFV:

   comp.unix.sco.misc:
     Questions, answers, comments and discussion about past, present and
     future SCO and related third party products and services, not more
     specifically covered by one of the other newsgroups, including but
     not limited to:
        - SCO UNIX operating system,
        - networking products (TCP/IP, NFS, LAN Manager, IPX/SPX, DCE, OSI),
        - graphical products (X server and clients),
        - DOS Merge,
        - The Open Desktop and Open Server operating environments which
          incorporate most of the above components.
      - SCO's older applications, when running on SCO UNIX.
        - SCO's support and other policies.
        - Third party hardware, software and services.
        - SCO environment specific "help wanted" postings.
     Commercial advertisements are explicitly forbidden.

   comp.unix.sco.programmer:
     Questions, answers, comments and discussion about past, present and
     future SCO development system products and related software and issues,
     including but not limited to:
       - UNIX and Open Desktop development systems,
       - SCO Visual TCL.
       - DCE developers toolkit,
       - Device Driver Writer's toolkit/Advanced Hardware Developer Kit
       - Public domain, shareware, and third party development tools
         of use in SCO operating environments.
       - SCO software distribution mastering toolkits
       - API questions, compiler behavior, header files, libraries,
         binary formats, manifest defines, etc.
       - Porting.
     Commercial advertisements are explicitly forbidden.

   comp.unix.sco.announce: (Moderated by Ed Hew ed...@xenitec.on.ca)
     Product, service, and business announcements of reasonable interest
     to the SCO community of developers, distributors, resellers,
     consultants, administrators and end-users, submitted by:
        - SCO,
        - third party software and hardware developers, SCO-specific
          service providers, and authors of freely available software.
     This explicitly includes SCO supplement information (SLS, TLS, EFS, etc.)
     Blatant and/or irrelevant commercial "ads" will continue to be rejected.

How do I send an article to these mailing lists?
  Send articles for        To this address
  comp.unix.sco.misc       sco...@xenitec.on.ca
  comp.unix.sco.announce   scoann...@xenitec.on.ca
  comp.unix.sco.programmer sco...@xenitec.on.ca
  Note that the announcements list is moderated; anything you send to
  it must be approved by the moderator before it actually makes its
  way out to the rest of the world.

I have a product that runs under SCO and I want to tell the world!
  In keeping with the commonly accepted standards for comp newsgroups,
  the charters for the .misc and .programmer newsgroups specifically
  exclude commercial advertisements.  The occasional response to a
  query, pointing out that your product could help, is generally
  considered to be acceptable; unsolicited advertisements or a
  steady stream of "Hey, try my product xxxx, it will cure that
  problem" messages are not.  In general, netiquette holds that
  when in doubt, it's probably not appropriate; tread lightly.

  Note that the newsgroup comp.unix.sco.announce is specifically for
  announcements related to the SCO community.  Consider posting
  a one-time announcement about your product to that newsgroup.

I always get multiple copies of articles!
  Maybe you're listed more than once in the mailing list.  If you sent
  more than one Add: request, perhaps thinking one had bounced, you may
  be listed more than once.

  In the cutover from separate biz.sco.general and biz.sco.opendesktop
  mailing lists, efforts were made to eliminate duplicate addresses
  between the two lists, as both are merged into comp.unix.sco.misc.
  If your addresses on both lists do not appear to be the same address,
  however (e.g. step...@bokonon.UUCP and stephen%boko...@gts.org),
  it's possible that both addresses may be listed on the new
  combined mailing list.  Please try to examine the headers of the
  duplicate messages to see if you can determine if this is the
  case, and see the section above on contacting list management.
  Please be patient; while we realize that duplicate mail is
  frustrating and annoying, the volunteer list management performs
  this task in its spare time.

I sometimes get multiple copies of articles!
  I know of two possible causes for this.  One is that many articles get
  crossposted to more than one newsgroup.  For example, it is not
  appropriate for articles to be crossposted to comp.unix.sco.programmer
  and to comp.unix.sco.misc (as .misc specifically excludes everything
  which fits into other newsgroups in the hierarchy), but some people do
  it.  If you subscribe to both lists, you will receive two copies of
  the article, since it appears in both lists.

  The other possibility is that some site upstream of you may have a
  flaky mailer that occasionally duplicates messages (I've been
  bitten by this one).  There is no known cure for the former condition;
  the latter, if you can identify it, can possibly be remedied by means
  of a polite note to the sysadmin at the offending site.

Are there any other SCO newsgroups?
  There is one, other than the rest of the comp.unix.sco hierarchy.
  That newsgroup is comp.unix.xenix.sco, which is for the discussion
  of SCO Xenix.  As comp.unix.xenix.sco specifically includes only
  discussion of SCO Xenix, please keep SCO Unix discussion out of
  it.

Are there any other non-SCO-specific Unix newsgroups?
  There are dozens of Unix newsgroups and hierarchies in the comp.unix
  hierarchy. Some are specific to certain Unix versions (e.g.
  comp.unix.solaris), while others are specific to tasks and roles (e.g.
  comp.unix.programmer, comp.unix.admin).  There are also some
  version-specific groups under comp.os (e.g. comp.os.linux).
  There are a few Unix newsgroups outside comp.unix and comp.os, such
  as comp.security.unix.

What other stuff shows up here periodically?
  All kinds of goodies pass through this list from time to time.  You
  will find lists of SLSes (Support Level Supplements), EFSes (Enhanced
  Feature Supplements, if memory serves), product compatibility
  matrices, lists of the most current versions of each SCO product,
  and stuff like that.  I highly recommend capturing the most recent
  one of each of these and saving it somewhere on your machine; they
  can be very handy to keep around.

Where can I find this FAQ list?
  Well, since I'm not on the Internet, I can't make it available myself.
  You could try checking in /pub/usenet/comp.unix.sco.misc on rtfm.mit.edu
  [18.181.0.24]; I don't know if they catch every copy of the FAQ, but I
  do know that they have had copies in the past.  PLEASE NOTE:
  rtfm.mit.edu has a habit of changing IP address every few months and
  is expected to change between now (26 July 1994) and the end of the
  year.  Please use the symbolic hostname if at all possible and use
  this IP address only if nothing else is available.

I have a suggestion/correction for the FAQ list
  By all means, let me know!  But do NOT post it to the list unless
  you believe it needs wide discussion.  If I think input from the list
  as a whole is required, I will post your note and my comments.  Send it
  directly to me at the address listed at the top.  The FAQ list is only
  as good as you make it.

Net.Etiquette
  end up on thousands of machines all around the world, with a potential
  audience of tens of thousands of people.

  Keep this in mind as you write, because people will perceive you
  according to how you write.  Your grammar, spelling, and politeness
  will be noted by all of these people, so make a good impression.
  And don't forget to press your Return key after every 70 characters
  or so.  Please stick to 7-bit standard ASCII characters; many
  people will be unable to see (or won't correctly see) any other
  characters such as those for line drawing, accented characters,
  or characters not used in the English language.

What do I put in my .signature?
  Well, it's a good idea to put your name, email address (both an
  internet address and a UUCP bang path are useful), your company
  name and job title (if appropriate), and possibly your phone number
  and mailing address.

  Keep it short, though; four lines is the commonly-accepted Usenet
  guideline.

How much of the previous message should I include in my reply?
  As little as possible to convey the salient points to which you are
  responding.  There is no need to include the headers, the .signature,
  or anything not directly related to your response.

  If you are replying to several points in the previous message, then
  include the section to which you are replying, and then type your
  reply immediately below it.  Then include the next point, and type
  your reply immediately below it.  This will help people keep track
  of what points you're addressing.

I think I'll send a test to make sure I can get through to the list
  DON'T DO THIS.  This is NOT a test newsgroup.  Your test message
  will waste large amounts of computing and communications resources
  as it travels to every continent (yes, it _will_ go all around the
  world).  Not only will this make people angry, but it will also
  make you look stupid.  Use alt.test, misc.test, biz.test, etc.
  for test messages.

Nobody replied to my question, so I'll send it again
  Don't do this, either.  If your message was sent and nobody replied to
  it, you will likely find exactly the same response if you post it
  again, and you will have used up more computing and communications
  resources and have gained nothing.

SCO sucks and <someone else> has a better product!
  If you have something _constructive_ to say, then go ahead.  But if
  you don't, then spare us your flame war.

This isn't the right place to post this question, but ...
  Well then, don't post it here.  There are several thousand Usenet
  newsgroups and hundreds and hundreds of mailing lists; chances are
  pretty good that one of these is the appropriate place.  If you
  post a question to an inappropriate newsgroup, you really are
  wasting large amounts of disk space and transmission bandwidth as
  it goes all around the world.

  Note that even if your question is about an SCO product, the
  SCO miscellaneous mailing list/comp.unix.sco.misc may not be the right
  place for it.  If it's a question about programming, for example,
  it belongs in comp.unix.sco.programmer.

I like to use tabs in my email
  Please don't.  Tab stops may be set differently on different terminals,
  and what looks perfectly lined up to you will be gibberish on someone
  else's machine.  This is particularly important to remember if you're
  drawing a diagram.  Use spaces, and most of the world will see your
  diagram as you drew it.  Use tabs, and it will make no sense to many
  readers who might otherwise be able to help you.

I have a technical question
  Look it up in your manuals first; chances are it's in there somewhere.
  In particular, check the permuted index, the table of contents of the
  System Administrator's Guide, and the Release Notes.

  If you can't find what you're looking for, look for it in the
  technical FAQ for this newsgroup, which is posted every two weeks in
  parallel with this administrative FAQ.  Also, look through old
  articles from this newsgroup/mailing list if your site stores old
  messages (if you're reading this via Usenet news, chances are
  your site has at least a few days' worth of back articles online).

  If you still can't find the answer, then post it.  Please include
  as much _relevant_ information as you can, such as your hardware
  configuration and version numbers of all software that might be
  involved.  Here are a few places to get this information.  Read
  the section of the technical FAQ dealing with how to get your
  configuration information.  TELL US WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM YOU'RE
  USING!  Xenix, Unix and ODT all have different commands, options,
  etc.  Also, WHAT VERSION?  The way to achieve the same end may
  vary from one version to another, and sometimes a newer version
  will have a way of doing something you just can't do in an older
  one.  If you think there's anything weird about your system, tell
  us!

What is SCO's Phone Number?
---------------------------

   Here are some of SCO's numbers; note that the (800) ones are
only applicable within North America.

SCO sales                        (800) 726-8649 = (800) SCO-UNIX
                                 (408) 425-7222
                             Fax (408) 458-4227
SCO support                      (408) 425-4726
SCO Assist                       (800) 347-4381
SCO Premier                      (800) 726-4911
SCO Federal Systems Group, VA    (703) 715-8700
                             Fax (703) 715-8750
SCO Argentina                    (54) 1 409 939
                                 (54) 1 409 981
                             Fax (54) 1 805 4769
SCO Australia                    (61) 2 911 7711
                             Fax (61) 2 931 6888
SCO Brazil                       (55) 11 287 5333
                             Fax (55) 11 288 9855
SCO Canada                       (416) 922-1937
                             Fax (416) 922-8397
SCO Denmark                      (45) 4242 5775
                             Fax (45) 4242 2778
SCO France                       (33) 1 4648 8500
                             Fax (33) 1 4648 3839
SCO Italy                        (39) 2 95301383
                             Fax (39) 2 9516394
SCO Germany                      (49) 6172 48670
                             Fax (49) 6172 468712
                                 (49) 211 5768 41
                             Fax (49) 211 5738 61
                                 (49) 89 5707 674
                             Fax (49) 89 5705 493
SCO Japan                        (81) 3 5453 0963
                             Fax (81) 3 5453 0964
SCO Mexico                       (525) 566-1781
                                 (525) 592-8426
                             Fax (525) 592-0572
SCO Singapore                    (65) 471 2221
                             Fax (65) 471 2223
SCO UK                           (44) 923 816344
                             Fax (44) 923 817781
                       Sales Fax (44) 923 817776

How Do I Connect to SCO's Machines?
-----------------------------------

Tell me about SLSes, EFSes, etc.
  SLSes (Support Level Supplements) and EFSes (Enhanced Feature Support)
  are SCO's way of fixing bugs and improving performance between releases.
  Every couple of weeks, SCO posts lists of all SLSes and EFSes here.  If
  you're having a problem, look at these lists and see if any of them
  will help you.  There are other beasts in this alphabetic zoo as well,
  such as TLSes (unsupported software), games, termcap/terminfo files,
  SSEs (System Security Enhancements), and the Hardware Compatibility
  Handbook in electronic format.

  SCO operates the anonymous FTP site ftp.sco.com.  This is the primary
  anonymous FTP site for SCO's own files.  For web surfers, look at
  http://www.sco.com

  Another option worth investigating is ftp.uu.net.  Log in and look
  around the sco-archive directory.  Remember to turn on binary mode before
  getting any binary files!  If your ftp doesn't recognize ftp.uu.net,
  try 137.39.1.9 or 192.48.96.9.
  To look around, telnet to ftp.uu.net.  Log in as "ftp", and supply your
  username and fully qualified domain name as the password (e.g.
  log in as ftp and give joec...@snoopy.peanuts.com as your password).
  Look around the vendor/sco directory hierarchy.

  If you don't have FTP, you can get them via anonymous UUCP from SCO.
  You can find the information on how to do this in your SCO documentation.
  This information is also included in the lists of SLSes and EFSes that
  SCO posts here.  I've included a brief summary below.

  There are also directories for games, updated terminal information,
  and other miscellaneous tidbits.  See the section on how to contact
  SCO for more details.

   This information is culled from the list of available SLSes that
SCO posts periodically.  For North America and the Pacific Rim, call
SCO in California:

Modem make and model      Service  Phone number
--------------------      -------  -----------
Telebit Trailblazer Plus   UUCP    408-429-1786
V.32, Telebit 1500: 4@     UUCP    408-425-3502
Hayes V Series 9600, 2@    UUCP    408-427-4470

Machine name: sosco

Login name: uusls   (fourth character is the letter "l" rather than numeral "1")
No password

   For European, the Middle East, and Africa, the following service is
available through SCO's London office:

Modem make and model    Service  Phone number
--------------------    -------  -----------
Dowty Quattro 2@        SOS      +44 (0)923 210888
Dowty Trailblazer       UUCP     +44 (0)923 210911

For anonymous uucp connection:
Machine name: scolon
Login name:   uusls
Password:     bbsuucp

   SCO also has a system in Frankfurt:

Machine name: sosffm   +49 (0) 6172 457319
                  or   +49 (0) 6172 457328
Login/Password are uusls/bbsuucp (as for scolon).
BBS-style login users:  log in as info (no password).
If you have problems, try the second number first.
If you still have problems, call the people at +49 (0) 6172 4867-0.

   SLSes are stored in /usr/spool/uucppublic/SLS.  If you are not sure
of the file you want, download the file file.list in this directory.  For
more information, check the lists of SLSes etc. in this newsgroup; these
lists include information on how to find and retrieve the files.

How Do I Send Email to SCO?
---------------------------

   You can send information requests to i...@sco.com.  Support requests
can be sent to supp...@sco.com, but note that an actual phone call may
well get your problem resolved faster.  Sending email rather than making
a phone call does _not_ make the support free of charge; it's simply
an alternative way of sending queries to SCO Support.

   If you have a suggestion for SCO regarding their products, you can
post it here or send it to SCO directly, though the latter may appear
to go into a bitbucket.  There are several SCO employees here, including
some development folks, and they do like to hear suggestions on how you
think they could better serve your needs.

I'm looking for such-and-such a program.  Where is it?

   Ask Archie.  Archie is a service that keeps track of all files
on a large number of anonymous FTP sites worldwide and allows
various queries on its database.  For a good tutorial on how to
use it, see "Archie, Your Directory for Internet Software" on
pp. 96-104 of the September 1992 copy of UnixWorld.

   To conduct an interactive session with Archie, telnet into an
Archie server site.  Log in as archie; there is no password.  If
you do not have telnet access, you can still access Archie via
email.  Mail a script of Archie instructions to archie@some-archie-site,
where you (obviously) replace some-archie-site with the name of your
closest Archie site.

   The first time you use Archie, you should issue the help command.
This will show you a list of valid Archie commands.  Before your
next use of Archie, take a few minutes to study the help list.  Pay
particular attention to the variety of set commands, which can greatly
alter the behaviour and efficiency of Archie.  Also, please use the
Archie server that is closest to you, to help reduce unnecessary
network traffic.

   The following is a list of Archie servers around the world, as given
by ftp://nic.switch.ch/file_server/archie/servers (dated 03/DE/93):

archie.au*                  139.130.4.6     Australia
archie.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at* 140.78.3.8      Austria
archie.univie.ac.at*        131.130.1.23    Austria
archie.uqam.ca*             132.208.250.10  Canada
archie.funet.fi             128.214.6.100   Finland
archie.th-darmstadt.de*     130.83.22.60    Germany
archie.ac.il*               132.65.6.15     Israel
archie.unipi.it*            131.114.21.10   Italy
archie.wide.ad.jp           133.4.3.6       Japan
archie.kr*                  128.134.1.1     Korea
archie.sogang.ac.kr*        163.239.1.11    Korea
archie.rediris.es*          130.206.1.2     Spain
archie.luth.se*             130.240.18.4    Sweden
archie.switch.ch*           130.59.1.40     Switzerland
archie.ncu.edu.tw*          140.115.19.24   Taiwan
archie.doc.ic.ac.uk*        146.169.11.3    United Kingdom
archie.unl.edu              129.93.1.14     USA (NE)
archie.internic.net*        198.48.45.10    USA (NJ)
archie.rutgers.edu*         128.6.18.15     USA (NJ)
archie.ans.net              147.225.1.10    USA (NY)
archie.sura.net*            128.167.254.179 USA (MD)

Sites marked with an asterisk '*' run archie version 3.0

The Anomaly SCO Software Archive
--------------------------------

   Instructions on using Anomaly are periodically posted to the Usenet
groups comp.unix.xenix.sco and comp.unix.sco.misc; please check this posting
for full instructions.  The following section is _condensed_ from that
**posting, as of 6 October 1995.  Please look for an updated version
of that document, which is periodically posted to comp.unix.sco.misc,
if some of the instructions below don't work.

** Entire section on Anomaly has been updated **

                   * The Anomaly SCO Software Archives *

The Anomaly Ported Software Archives is an archive of source code which will
compile under various SCO operating systems. Software for SCO XENIX, SCO
UNIX, and SCO OpenServer is available for transfer. Pre-compiled binaries
for SCO OpenServer 5, and full access to the SCO SkunkWare 5 CD-ROM are
also available.

Filenames:  The Software List:            anomaly!~/SOFTLIST
            All UUCPable Files:           anomaly!~/ls-lR.Z

                        Anonymous UUCP Information:

               v.32 Dial-In: 1.401.331.3706
      anomaly.sbs.com!login: uucp
                (no password)

To download a file, issue the following uucp request on your machine:

        uucp anomaly!~/<subdirectory>/<filename> yoursite!<to-filename>

If you have a file to donate to the archives, then kindly upload it as
follows:

        uucp yoursite!<filename> anomaly!~/incoming/<filename>

This will store the file in ANOMALY's incoming directory for posting to
the archives. Please include a mail message to "kd1hz" indicating what the
file is, etc.

                         Mail-based Archive Server:

To answer the demand of people on the Internet who wish access to the
archives, we have established a mail-based server which can process
requests for files. Note that in order to keep our SMTP connection from
getting bogged down, we only process *5* megabytes worth of software
requests PER DAY. Users with alternative means of obtaining files are
encouraged to do so.

To receive instructions on how to use the mail-based archive server, send
an e-mail message to "sn...@ideamation.com", with a Subject: of 'snarf'
and the following two lines starting in column 1:

snarf address [your e-mail address]
snarf help

For example:

snarf address kd...@anomaly.sbs.com
snarf help

These commands will forward a help file to your reply address. This help
file contains all information you require on how to obtain software listings
and uuencoded mailings of archive contents.

Note that if you do not have an address line, or you have other errors in the
body of your text, you will not get a reply from the server.

** End of updated section **

KUSO - the Kanji Users Service Operation

KUSO, the Kanji Users Service Operation, 143.167.25.1 is an
archive specializing in

  SCO XENIX software (anomaly mirror)

  DOS/V software

  Japanese software for generic DOS

  information on Japanese language, science, and technology

  archives of news groups pertaining to the above subjects

KUSO also carries a limited amount of material in the following
areas

  Chinese and Korean language software for various platorms

  MacIntosh utilities for Japanese

  X-Windows items for SCO UNIX

Access to kuso may be made by

  anonymous ftp to kuso.shef.ac.uk (143.167.25.1)

  kermit (login as anonymous)

  the kumitori mail server

The kumitori mail server is experimental.  To use it, first send
a message with the subject "kumitori" (no quotes) to
jp...@sunc.shef.ac.uk.  The body of the message should be the
single line "!help" (no quotes).  This will send you the kumitori
command list.

If you do not get a reply, change the message body to

!reply_to string
!help

where "string" is an explicit e-mail address of whatever form you
have found to work from the uk.

Please note that this mail service is experimental and may be
withdrawn or modified at any time.

The (unofficial) SCO ODT Ported Software Compendium

 Filenames:  The Software List:    ispi!~/SOFTLIST
             Miscellaneous Notes:  ispi!~/NOTES
             All UUCPable Files:   ispi!~/ls-lR

Anonymous UUCP Information:

 Telebit Trailblazer Plus Dial-In: +1 908 248 1589
                   ispi.com!login: uuodtcp
                         Password: odt

 To download a file, issue the following uucp request on your machine:

  uucp ispi!~/archives/<filename> yoursite!<to-filename>

 Special Note: The archives on ISPI are in source code format.  Programs
               that need GCC are noted.

Xenitec Archives
----------------

XeniTec Archives, Anonymous Access Information:  nuucp, ftp, WWW

Orig_Date:    Tue Nov  6 22:54:06 EDT 1989
Last_Update:  Mon Dec 05 21:39:03 EST 1994

Anonymous UUCP: Your Systems (or L-sys if you're pre-HDB) entry resembles:

---
19200 baud, PEP: (pair of trusty old Telebit Trailblazer+'s)
Both answer at 19.2kb PEP mode, and now cycle 19200-9600-2400-19200.

xenitec Any ACU 19200 CUP15197435247 ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin: nuucp word: fall89
xenitec Any ACU 19200 CUP15197438363 ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin: nuucp word: fall89
---
(up to) 38400 baud, V.32/V.32bis/V.42/V.42bis, Practical Peripherals PM144T II
Hardware flow control, interface speed locked at 38.4KB; let the
modems negotiate the highest common demoninator.

xenitec Any ACU 14400 15197434697 ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:-\K-ogin:\K-ogin: nuucp word: fall89
---
You may substitute an approprate baud rate depending on what you
support, on a per-entry basis for each modem line.
---
Download the current public archive index file:

$ l /archive/pub/index
-rw-rw-r--   3 eah      devel      51907 Jul 10 00:37 /archive/pub/index
It isn't as current as we might wish; you may want to hunt around for
something specific even if you don't see it in the index.
Should you need freely available source code we don't already have
available, email "arcmastr"; we'll try to get it for you.
---
Anon FTP - ftp xenitec.xenitec.on.ca (192.75.213.1), log in as "ftp",
use your FQDN address as the passwd, eg, "u...@foo.bar.com".
---
WWW (NCSA Mosaic) Server URL:   http://www.xenitec.on.ca/
---
Please note that the above information will change from time to time.
Should you find that your results are not what you expect, please
email the undersigned for updated connectivity info.
The voice phone # listed below is a last resort.  Phone calls for
"free" service will eventually be returned, "collect".

"xenitec" is _not_ a public access UNIX system, nor is it a BBS of any
kind.  We offer source code honestly believed to be freely
distributable, as our contribution to the international UNIX and SCO
user community.  We do not charge any fees for this service, and
encourage you to do the same.  (Ma Bell may however send you a long
distance bill for your modem use on their lines.)
We assume no responsibility for the code you obtain from us.  Please
download /archive/pub/NOTICE for the full disclaimer (we consider
you've been suitably advised).

TeleSys Unix/Xenix Software Archive
-----------------------------------

For a list of files currently available, you can UUCP a copy of the
list from TeleSys:

Phone Numbers:

602-649-9099  Multiple Telebit WorldBlazers for V.32/V.32bis/PEP
                and other baud rates from 300-2400.

There are two copies of the list, one 16 bit compressed and the
other non-compressed:

 Login as:  nuucp  (There is no password)

 uucp telesys!~/files.dir.Z ~/   16bit Compressed Version
 uucp telesys!~/files.dir ~/     Uncompressed Version.

PLEASE READ the files.dir file carefully for determining download paths
and proper filenames.  Unlike the directory files, the files for
downloading are NOT located in the /usr/spool/uucppublic directory.

For assistance, email   i...@tnet.com

ftp.celestial.com
-----------------
   ftp.celestial.com is located at 192.136.111.2.  It's available at all
times, though concurrent usage is restricted to five users during the day
and ten at night, Pacific time.

Other sites
-----------
There is a list of anonymous FTP sites with SCO software maintained
by the eternally helpful Bela Lubkin of SCO.  This list is posted
here occasionally.  This list is also available on the other end of:
ftp://ftp.celestial.com/README.sco-sites

How do I ftp files via email?
-----------------------------

   Before I tell you how to do this, think twice before sending such a
request, as it has the potential to generate large volumes of email.
This not only will fill your mailbox, but will also take up spool space
on the drive of every machine it passes through on its way to you.

   For information on using ftpm...@decwrl.dec.com, send a message to
that address with any Subject: line (it will be ignored).  The body of
your message should say:
reply yourn...@your.site.com
help
quit

   BITNET users can try bit...@pucc.princeton.edu.  Send a message
there with the word help in the Subject: line.  Note that this
server no longer serves users who are not on BITNET.

How do I contact a vendor for drivers and/or technical support?

   As always, the first answer is RTFM (Read The Manual).  Any
reputable manufacturer will include instructions on getting
technical support with their product.  The more aware ones will
include not only phone and fax numbers, but often a BBS and sometimes
an email address.

   However, sometimes a vendor will have an email and/or ftp
address which they do not publish in their manuals, and sometimes
a user will discover that a critical manual cannot be found in a
time of need.  Here, then, are some phone/email/ftp addresses for
some vendors.  Note that this is not intended to be anything close
to being an exhaustive list, that it is skewed towards North American
phone numbers (particularly (800) numbers), and that the appearance
or omission of a vendor below does not constitute in any way an
opinion on that vendor.  For information on contacting SCO, see
elsewhere in this FAQ.

Acer/Altos            General number      (408) 433-3670
Adaptec               Tech Support        (408) 945-2550
                      BBS                 (408) 945-7727
                      Anonymous FTP       ftp.adaptec.com
Altos                 Support             (800) 637-7000
                      Tech Support FAX    (408) 434-6651
                      Support Number.     (408) 432-6200
Century Software      Term Tech Support   (801) 943-8386
Codex/Motorola        Support             (800) 544-0062
Computone             General Number      (800) 241-3946
                      General Number      (404) 475-2725
                      BBS                 (404) 343-9737
                      Anonymous ftp       ftp.computone.com
                      Tech support        supp...@computone.com
DELL                  BBS                 (512) 338-8528
DigiBoard             BBS                 (612) 922-5604
                      Anonymous ftp       ftp.digibd.com
DPT                   General Number      (407) 830-5522
Equinox               General Number      (305) 255-3500
Fujitsu America       BBS                 (408) 944-9899
Future Domain         General Number      (714) 253-0400
                      Support             (714) 253-0440
Gateway               Tech Support        (800) 846-2301
Hayes                 BBS                 (404) 446-6336
Informix              General Number      (415) 926-6300
Informix              Fax Line            (913) 599-8425
Maxtor                BBS                 (303) 678-2222
NCD                   General Number      (415) 694-0650
PSI                   General Number      (214) 954-1774
SMC                   Tech Support        (800) 992-4762
                      General Number      (714) 707-2354
                      General Number      (516) 273-3100
Software Group, The   Phone               (705) 725-9999
                      FAX                 (705) 725-9666
                      Email               supp...@software.group.com
Software Horizons     Email               j...@blznrzn.UUCP
Specialix             General Number      (508) 620-2877
                      Tech Support        (408) 378-7919
                      Tech Support        (800) 423-5364
                      Email               supp...@specialix.com
                      Singapore           +65 (0) 749-1700
                      United Kingdom      +44 (0) 9323 54947
Stallion              General Number      (800) 347-7979
3Com                  Anonymous ftp       ftp.3com.com
                      Support             (800) 876-3COM
                      General Number      (408) 764-5000
Thomas-Conrad         General Number      (512) 836-1935
US Robotics           General Number      (800) 982-5151
Wangtek               General Number      (805) 583-5255
                      Support             (800) 992-9916
Word Perfect          Support             (801) 226-5333
                      Support FAX         (801) 222-1994

Is SCO accessible via CompuServe?
---------------------------------

   Yes.  SCO operates the SCO Forum (GO SCOFORUM) on CompuServe.
From the SCO Forum Policy file:

The purpose of the SCO Forum is to provide a useful, open environment for
SCO end users, resellers, developers, and partners to converse and exchange
their experiences and expertise regarding SCO products and services.  It
is also intended as a vehicle for SCO to disseminate product information
and bug fixes.

   In addition to providing a discussion forum, it also provides
libraries, including such items as SLSes and EFSes.  The forum sysops
have access to SCO's IT scripts and these are frequently posted in reply to
questions.  As with this mailing list/newsgroup, it is not intended
as an alternative to formal SCO support; however, it can be a useful
resource for those with an interest in the SCO environment.
--
step...@bokonon.ussinc.com               ...!{xrtll,gts.org}!bokonon!stephen
Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.