terminal emulation

Post by Lisa » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

i need to set up 1 user on a win 98 home pc to connect to a sco unix 3.2 v
4.2 unit.  This will get minimal use & will be used only for searching a
database & adding notes.  I have used Doubleview(on Win 3.1) & Tiny Term in
the past.  Term is good but unnecessarily complicated & expensive for this
user.  Any good experiences with a simpler less expensive product??

terminal emulation

Post by Abid Kha » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am using Alpha communicator (www.omnicomm.com) on a direct RS232
connection, works great, you can try this from remote dial-in too,
$25.00 per license, does support SCOANSI emulation.

Quote:> i need to set up 1 user on a win 98 home pc to connect to a sco unix
3.2 v
> 4.2 unit.  This will get minimal use & will be used only for searching
> database & adding notes.  I have used Doubleview(on Win 3.1) & Tiny
Term in
> the past.  Term is good but unnecessarily complicated & expensive for
this
> user.  Any good experiences with a simpler less expensive product??

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

terminal emulation

Post by rolle » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Sure.  You can use the Windows98 Hyperterminal.  It works just fine, and it is
free with win98.  However, I personally like TinyTerm Plus better, as it looks
better and gives the user more flexibility regarding printing, file transfer,
etc.  But if simplicity is what you want, then Hyperterminal in Windows98 is
the deal.
--Keith

Post by cmpter.. » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> i need to set up 1 user on a win 98 home pc to connect to a sco unix
3.2 v
> 4.2 unit.  This will get minimal use & will be used only for
searching a
> database & adding notes.  I have used Doubleview(on Win 3.1) & Tiny
Term in
> the past.  Term is good but unnecessarily complicated & expensive for
this
> user.  Any good experiences with a simpler less expensive product??

> most products work equally well, i also prefer any kind of term

package from century software, but an additional concern is printing at
home, if you dial in on tty1A or 1a,2A,2a, these ports are the dumb
type and do not support pass through print.  You have to have your
modem on a smart port board like digiboard, or stallion, or equinox, or
whatever, and then configure the pass through print from the main
console. much luck!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

terminal emulation

Post by Robert Kovaci » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I can recommend Kermit 95. In particular I have been very happy with the
scoansi emulation.

Regards, Robert.

Post by Brian K. Whit » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > i need to set up 1 user on a win 98 home pc to connect to a sco unix
> 3.2 v
> > 4.2 unit.  This will get minimal use & will be used only for
> searching a
> > database & adding notes.  I have used Doubleview(on Win 3.1) & Tiny
> Term in
> > the past.  Term is good but unnecessarily complicated & expensive for
> this
> > user.  Any good experiences with a simpler less expensive product??

> > most products work equally well, i also prefer any kind of term
> package from century software, but an additional concern is printing at
> home, if you dial in on tty1A or 1a,2A,2a, these ports are the dumb
> type and do not support pass through print.  You have to have your
> modem on a smart port board like digiboard, or stallion, or equinox, or
> whatever, and then configure the pass through print from the main
> console. much luck!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Of course they support pass-through print! just not as effortlessly.
the terminal is what interprets the start-print stop-print codes, the smart
serial adapter just has a fancy driver that sens the codes automatically, but
lprint and/or "lpr -L local" works just about as well and requires no special
hardware.

--
 Brian K. White - Albany Burner Control - http://www.squonk.net/users/linut
+++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+>+<---<---]>>++.<++.

terminal emulation

Post by Dennis Thornto » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I've had very good luck with CRT.  You can download a 30 day eval copy from
www.vandyke.com.

Post by Thomas Schmid Privat » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I've had very good luck with CRT.  You can download a 30 day eval copy from
> www.vandyke.com.

> > I can recommend Kermit 95. In particular I have been very happy with the
> > scoansi emulation.

> > Regards, Robert.

> > > i need to set up 1 user on a win 98 home pc to connect to a sco unix 3.2 v
> > > 4.2 unit.  This will get minimal use & will be used only for searching a
> > > database & adding notes.  I have used Doubleview(on Win 3.1) & Tiny Term
> > in
> > > the past.  Term is good but unnecessarily complicated & expensive for this
> > > user.  Any good experiences with a simpler less expensive product??

Hi,

I also could recommend Simple Term 32, which I have used now for several years
to give me access to SCO ODT3 /Openserver 5 boxes. With a little setp, it
displays
scansi quite nice, making the function keys work was quite easy.....

Thomas Schmid

terminal emulation

Post by Alain Reymo » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You can try anzio at www.anzio.com. It's a very good emulation and
inexpensive for the lite version.
You can also try Eric's telnet at www.telnet98.com. It's also cheap
and works well.
For me TinyTerm is still the best because of it's capabillty of
managing alt-keys.

Hope this helps.

Alain Reymond