SCO Free Unix ATI Mach 64

Post by NORTE » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have a Microsoft mouse Bus Int 3 with a ati mach 64 card(pci). The screen
diapears in blocks as I move the mouse. I am using the microsoft mouse
driver. Should I be using the logitec driver instead or have I got other
problems?

Thank you

SCO Free Unix ATI Mach 64

Post by Lucky Leavel » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Microsoft mouse Bus Int 3 with a ati mach 64 card(pci). The screen
> diapears in blocks as I move the mouse. I am using the microsoft mouse
> driver. Should I be using the logitec driver instead or have I got other
> problems?

I have a bus mouse on my ATI Graphics Ultra using the MS bus mouse driver
(I think) but mine is configured at IRQ5. (IRQ3 is taken by COM2.) Are you
sure you don't have an interrupt conflict?  You did use the bus mouse
driver?  I keep a small (16MB) DOS partition on hd0 which, among other
things, has the ATI configuration routines.  Hmmm ... come to think of it,
did you use the ATI setup to configure your ATI card?  Test it? Does it
work under DOS?

Finally, have you checked AHS5.2 for updated ATI drivers? (I don't know
if there are any; my ATI card is so old, I don't have to worry about it.)

Hope this helps some,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393  or  (812) 945-6555
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO      FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                 71534,2674 (CompuServe)
WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com   ftp://www.iglou.com/members/ris

SCO Free Unix ATI Mach 64

Post by Bela Lubki » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I have a Microsoft mouse Bus Int 3 with a ati mach 64 card(pci). The screen
> diapears in blocks as I move the mouse. I am using the microsoft mouse
> driver. Should I be using the logitec driver instead or have I got other
> problems?

Other problems.  How much memory does your machine have?  What video
mode are you using (`grep tty02 /usr/lib/grafinfo/grafdev` for a useful
response)?  How much RAM is on the video card?
Quote:>Bela<

SCO Free Unix ATI Mach 64

Post by Stephen M. Du » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

$I have a Microsoft mouse Bus Int 3 with a ati mach 64 card(pci). The screen
$diapears in blocks as I move the mouse. I am using the microsoft mouse
$driver. Should I be using the logitec driver instead or have I got other
$problems?

   There have been plenty of people who have reported problems with
screen corruption with the Mach 64 card under OSR5.  The usual
common thread is that they're not using the current drivers from
AHS 5.2.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

SCO Free Unix ATI Mach 64

Post by Rune Johanse » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> $I have a Microsoft mouse Bus Int 3 with a ati mach 64 card(pci). The screen
> $diapears in blocks as I move the mouse. I am using the microsoft mouse
> $driver. Should I be using the logitec driver instead or have I got other
> $problems?

>    There have been plenty of people who have reported problems with
> screen corruption with the Mach 64 card under OSR5.  The usual
> common thread is that they're not using the current drivers from
> AHS 5.2.

Yes, I have also experienced this. I installed a SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 on
system that had a ATI Mach 64 PCI built-in on motherboard, and I set it
up as that on the install, and I got those "blocks" too. I thought I had
seen something about it in this forum, but I could not remember what it
was, so I just changed to plain VGA again. Then, I installed AHS 5.2,
and
went into the Video Configuration Manager again, and then it popped up
that it had found an ATI Mach 64 PCI card, and I installed it in the
kernel.

Whoopie, and we were running great at 1024/768/64K without any blocks at
all.

Just great!

BTW: My mouse was a Microsoft Serial mouse on COM1.

Rune

SCO Free Unix ATI Mach 64

Post by (Thraxarious Hai Draco » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

>> $I have a Microsoft mouse Bus Int 3 with a ati mach 64 card(pci). The screen
>> $diapears in blocks as I move the mouse. I am using the microsoft mouse
>> $driver. Should I be using the logitec driver instead or have I got other
>> $problems?

>>    There have been plenty of people who have reported problems with
>> screen corruption with the Mach 64 card under OSR5.  The usual
>> common thread is that they're not using the current drivers from
>> AHS 5.2.

>Yes, I have also experienced this. I installed a SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 on
>system that had a ATI Mach 64 PCI built-in on motherboard, and I set it
>up as that on the install, and I got those "blocks" too. I thought I had
>seen something about it in this forum, but I could not remember what it
>was, so I just changed to plain VGA again. Then, I installed AHS 5.2,
>and
>went into the Video Configuration Manager again, and then it popped up
>that it had found an ATI Mach 64 PCI card, and I installed it in the
>kernel.

>Whoopie, and we were running great at 1024/768/64K without any blocks at
>all.

>Just great!

>BTW: My mouse was a Microsoft Serial mouse on COM1.

>Rune

I have installed FOSR5 on a Pentium 166 w/64MB ram, Logitec 3 button
serial mouse, but had to re-install and set it to a Serial Mouse
because the mouse driver was not working.
        The only problem I have experienced with my ATI Graphics Pro
Turbo is that the screen is slightly to the left. I must admit that I
am using the origional files from the CD, I have not yet downloaded
any patches. and have only installed the Development system.
        I have However had trouble with my keyboard being re-mapped to
the same pattern each time I start the System. I have to move to a
diffrent terminal by either moving to a new terminal before it starts
the scologin or else try to guess the keys to do so. though the map is
the same every time, "r" is "xx".

SCO Free Unix ATI Mach 64

Post by Tim Ruckl » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

Quote:}
} have installed FOSR5 on a Pentium 166 w/64MB ram, Logitec 3 button
} serial mouse, but had to re-install and set it to a Serial Mouse
} because the mouse driver was not working.

Note you don't have to reinstall to change the mouse: log in on a non-
graphic screen (Alt F2) and run 'mkdev mouse'.

Quote:}       The only problem I have experienced with my ATI Graphics Pro
} Turbo is that the screen is slightly to the left. I must admit that I
} am using the origional files from the CD, I have not yet downloaded
} any patches. and have only installed the Development system.

You don't need to download AHS 5.2, but you do need to install it.  See
the two TAs (Technical Articles, available on SCO's web site) below:

AHS 5.2 does not install as part of SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.2.

KEYWORDS: openserver osr5 502 520 v5 install pci multithread advanced hardware supplement lli ahs 5.2.0 ethernet drivers packages support link level interface adapter graphic full partial 5.0.2

RELEASE:  SCO Advanced Hardware Supplement Release 5.2.0
          SCO OpenServer Enterprise System Release 5.0.2
          SCO OpenServer Desktop System Release 5.0.2
          SCO OpenServer Host System Release 5.0.2

PROBLEM:  SCO Advanced Hardware Supplement Release 5.2.0 (AHS 5.2) does not
          install as part of SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.2.

SOLUTION: AHS 5.2 is a separate product that must be installed separately
          from the operating system.  You still have the option of installing
          the entire AHS supplement, or doing a partial installation, but to
          get the latest networking and graphics drivers you must invoke
          the Scoadmin Software Manager, either by clicking on the
          Software Manager icon on the desktop or by typing "scoadmin
          software" from a character-based screen.  Then choose

            Software ==> Install New

          and select the CD-ROM to get a list of products available.

&

What documentation exists for SCO AHS Release 5.2.0?

KEYWORDS: advanced hardware supplement ahs 5.2.0 v5 5.0.0 5.0.2 openserver osr5 documentation set release notes books bbs online installation aga lli btld os gpi scohelp features limitations mass storage drivers

RELEASE:  SCO Advanced Hardware Supplement Release 5.2.0
          SCO OpenServer Enterprise System Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2
          SCO OpenServer Desktop System Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2
          SCO OpenServer Host System Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2

PROBLEM:  What are the noteworthy pieces of documentation offered by SCO on
          the Adavanced Hardware Supplement (AHS) Release 5.2.0?  What
          information is contained in each, and where can I find these items?

SOLUTION: Here are the important documentation offerings for AHS Release
          5.2.0.  Note that documentation may be found in one or more of
          four locations: online, as referenced by the scohelp(XC) browser;
          on the BBS, as downloadable files in both plain text and postscript
          formats; on the mountable SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.2 CD-ROM,
          located in various subdirectories of the top level info directory;
          and in hardcopy form, as shipped in the SCO OpenServer Release
          5.0.x product box.

          NOTE: The SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0 CD-ROM does _not_ contain
          the documentation sources mentioned in the following discussion.

          (1) Various README files, available on the BBS and in plain text
          form from the info directory on the (mounted) OpenServer 5.0.2
          CD-ROM.  The CD-ROM README is a "top level" README file, containing
          a list of known issues and limitations with AHS 5.2.0, and a
          comprehensive list of hardware devices supported by AHS 5.2.0.
          The README files on the BBS are located in each major AHS 5.2.0
          subdirectory as appropriate, providing detailed notes and
          instructions on installation and configuration of specific AHS 5.2.0
          components.

          (2) Release and Installation Notes, available on the BBS in both
          postscript and plain text, in the info directory on the CD-ROM, and
          online via ScoHelp.  A few noteworthy comments here about how the
          AHS 5.2.0 Release Notes differ from the AHS 5.1.0 Release Notes:

          In AHS 5.1.0, the Release Notes consisted of general Install/Removal
          instructions, features, notes, and known limitations for each major
          technology group (AGA, LLI, OS), and lists of supported adapters
          for each technology group.  This doc, like the Release Notes for
          other SCO products, was only available hardcopy and from the BBS,
          but was not part of the AHS 5.1 online doc set.

          The AHS 5.2.0 Release and Installation Notes, on the other hand,
          focus on installation, removal, and downloading the AHS components
          from the BBS.  There are basically two reasons for this:

          (i) The BBS interface has been enhanced to present the product in
          three different styles: full product; technology group; and
          individual drivers.  Specific download and installation instructions
          have been provided to ensure correct procedures.

          (ii) More of the doc has been moved to the online doc set.  This
          includes a "Features and Limitations" section as described below.

          (3) Features and Limitations, available online via ScoHelp.  This
          includes a list of newly supported features, newly supported
          adapters, and comprehensive lists of supported adapters.

          (4) Individual adapter information, available online via ScoHelp.

          (5) Man pages for Mass Storage drivers for both pre- and post-install
          phases, available on the BBS and online via ScoHelp.

          (6) BTLD installation instructions, available in the Release and
          Installation Notes, and in the OpenServer 5.0.x Release and
          Installation Notes (which are furnished in hardcopy form in the
          product box).  The latter furnishes a hardcopy version of BTLD
          instructions for viewing prior to the installation of the operating
          system.

SEE ALSO: IT lli/53, "What network cards does SCO AHS Release 5.2.0 support?"

          IT os/2945, "What hardware is supported by SCO AHS Release 5.2.0?"

          IT os/2946, "What graphics adapters does SCO AHS Release 5.2.0
          support?"

This information is provided "AS IS" without warranty and may be posted
to public networks individually in response to specific questions as a
public service but no other reproduction, transmittal or storage, in any
form, is permitted without prior written permission from the copyright
owner.  Copyright infringement is a serious matter under the United
States and foreign Copyright Laws.

Information in this document is subject to change without notice and
does not represent a commitment on the part of The Santa Cruz
Operation, Inc.

Copyright (C) 1986-1996 The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

1. Free SCO - ATI Mach 64 problem

I have just managed to install free SCO 5.0.2C onto my PC (133 Pentium, 8Mb
RAM, all EIDE)and got it running OK in SVGA mode.

However when I try to up the resolution to anything higher using scoadmin I
always get the same weird problem :-

The login/desktop comes up OK, but as soon as I move the mouse the screen
becomes corrupted in the area immediately surrounding the cursor. In fact -
it appears to paint a tiny image of the entire window over the area in which
the cursor has moved. I have tried all combinations of resolution and refresh
rate but I always get the same effect.

My graphics card is an ATI Mach 64 with 1 Mb DRAM.

Can someone help ?

Also, does the 8Mb of RAM explain the, er, lack of performance when running
the desktop ?

TIA
Dave

2. clearing the screen and other nice little things.

3. Q: ATI MACH 64 + SCO

4. IP Aliasing in kernel 2.4.20 is acting funny

5. ATI MAch 64 vs STB PowerGraph 64

6. Unarj.tar.Z on banjo.concert.net

7. Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM or ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach 64)?

8. WANTED: transcriber's footpedal that plugs into a parallel or serial port

9. S3 964 Diamond Stealth 64, ATI Mach 64 and Gateway Vivitron 1776 - Help!!!

10. Stealth Video 64 or ATI Mach 64

11. ATI Mach 64 informations, then ATI vs Diamond vs Miro, Zappa vs Alladin.

12. ATI Mach 64 infos requested, ATI vs Diamond vs Miro, Zappa vs Alladin.

13. ATI mach 64? ATI rage 128?