Routing Through SCO5?

Post by n.. » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

We are running OS5 and thrilled with it.  We are using /etc/resolv.conf and
a default route to an ISP to run internet applications.   We are browsing
and surfing just swell.

Can our SCO OS5 system route packets through its single PPP static IP
address from our local PC's out on to the net and expect them to come back,
and if so, How?

          |                                 |                      |
          | 192.100.0.1                     | 192.100.0.2          | ...3
     -----------------                  ----------------        -----------
        SCO OS5                           WfWg TCP/IP-B            Win95
     -----------------
          !  XXX.XXX.132.13
          !
          !  (dialup PPP)
          !
          !  XXX.XXX.2.34 (ISP Router)
     ------------------
         Cisco
     ------------------

                                  |  XXX.XXX.1.5 (Name Server)

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (770)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741

            http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mnopltd/

Routing Through SCO5?

Post by Cosmo Le » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> : Can our SCO OS5 system route packets through its single PPP static IP
> : address from our local PC's out on to the net and expect them to come back,
> : and if so, How?

> You need to make sure that IP forwarding is turned on on your SCO machine.
> This is in the advanced options menu when you modify the protocol for your
> NIC using netconfig.

But the main question is *do the packets come back and get distributed
to the various PCs*?  Doesn't IP forwarding just take care of routing
packet *outbound*?  The problem is when the packets are inbound.

I know of a solution for Linux.  It's called IP_masquerade.  It allows
a number of hosts to pretend to be one.  It does this by performing
real-time, on -the-fly address translations.

So if you have a bunch of PCs on a LAN, routing through a Linux box,
the ISP doesn't have to know of the local PC IP addresses.  To the
ISP all the packets appear to be coming from your routing Linux box.

Otherwise, wouldn't you need IP addresses assigned by your ISP, and
they would have to modify their routing tables to route packets
destined for your local PCs to your SCO router?

I'm surmising here - someone correct me if I'm wrong.  This is a
question I'd been trying go get answers to - and this what I came
up with.

--Cosmo Lee

Routing Through SCO5?

Post by Bill Campbe » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Can our SCO OS5 system route packets through its single PPP static IP
: address from our local PC's out on to the net and expect them to come back,
: and if so, How?

You need to make sure that IP forwarding is turned on on your SCO machine.
This is in the advanced options menu when you modify the protocol for your
NIC using netconfig.

Bill
--

UUCP:              camco!bill   2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:           (206) 232-9186   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

Routing Through SCO5?

Post by Danny Aldh » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: >: Can our SCO OS5 system route packets through its single PPP static IP
: >: address from our local PC's out on to the net and expect them to come back,
: >: and if so, How?
: >
: > You need to make sure that IP forwarding is turned on on your SCO machine.
: > This is in the advanced options menu when you modify the protocol for your
: > NIC using netconfig.
: >

: But the main question is *do the packets come back and get distributed
: to the various PCs*?  Doesn't IP forwarding just take care of routing
: packet *outbound*?  The problem is when the packets are inbound.
: I know of a solution for Linux.  It's called IP_masquerade.  It allows
: a number of hosts to pretend to be one.  It does this by performing
: real-time, on -the-fly address translations.
: So if you have a bunch of PCs on a LAN, routing through a Linux box,
: the ISP doesn't have to know of the local PC IP addresses.  To the
: ISP all the packets appear to be coming from your routing Linux box.

IP_Forwarding takes care of packets going in both directions, IF you
are using a real class C address, that is being routed to you. IF not,
I didn't see the original post here, but if you are connecting to an ISP
and just getting 1 IP address for the ppp link, and the rest are made up
IP addresses, then you cannot route to them. I haven't seen an IP_masquerade
product for SCO, but I have seen & used a proxy server on SCO which will do
most of what you want. Check out the CERN HTTPd server.

: Otherwise, wouldn't you need IP addresses assigned by your ISP, and
: they would have to modify their routing tables to route packets
: destined for your local PCs to your SCO router?

Yes. You have it right.

Need a UUCP E-Mail feed? - Ask me!

Routing Through SCO5?

Post by Frederick W. Mye » Mon, 07 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: : >: Can our SCO OS5 system route packets through its single PPP static IP
: : >: address from our local PC's out on to the net and expect them to come back,
: : >: and if so, How?
: : >
[...]

: Yes. You have it right.

If you will a rather more practical statement of the question.

Can I establish a site (SCO) whereby PCs can dial in and automatically be
passed to another site for user admin and dynamic IP address assignment
(from the ISP pool) and then have the routing handled back through
the SCO machine.

Basically the idea is to set up a remote login site
(long distance charges add up quickly) for the ISP and use my box as
a routing tool.  I (nor the ISP) don't want the hassles of user admin
on my box. But I want the net access and he wants users not paying
timed call charges.  My (minimal level) understanding of Linux IP_masquerade
is that it will work in this scenario.
However I've used SCO for internal networking since ODT 1.0 and would
prefer to avoid the learning curve with Linux.

An afterthought.  Could the PCs (both dial-in and on my network) be
assigned IP addresses from the not for Internet pool?
They are real addresses and would be routed through a real Internet
IP address.

TIA

|  _-_|\   Frederick W. Myers     Voice ++61 (98) 512 119 |
| /     \  Diamond State Data Services                    |
| \*.-._/  187 Mondurup St Mt Barker WA 6324              |

1. Routing thru Subintefaces

I have a Solaris 7 box in which I would like a certain route to use a
subinterface as opposed to the main pysical interface.

A few lines from a netstat -rn:
10.240.252.0         10.240.252.23         U        6   2467  qfe1
10.240.252.0         10.240.252.53         U        6      0  qfe1:1
10.240.252.0         10.240.252.54         U        6      0  qfe1:2
10.240.252.64        10.240.252.62         UG       0   3904
10.240.252.128       10.240.252.62         UG       0   1131

I need to route to 205.174.35.1 via the 10.240.252.62 gateway. This is
normally not an issue, just do a:
route add 205.174.35.1 10.240.252.62

However the requests to 205.174.35.1 must originate from 10.240.252.53
(qfe1:1) due to the firewall configuration. We also need the .23
address to route other packets so switching the ips is not an option.

Is it possible to configure Solaris to route to 205.174.35.1 via qfe1:1
and if so how?

Thanks,
Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. router/firewall scripts

3. using iptables to route thru specific interface?

4. Current driver for CM 205 CD-ROM

5. Help on firewall ruleset for routing X (Exceed) thru the Linux firewall

6. curses to ncurses - __waddstr unresolved

7. Routing thru PPP

8. Toshiba 210 cs and linux?

9. Routing thru PPP question

10. How to route win95 LAN thru Linux Box with ppp connection.

11. Routing problems over ATM with NT thru UNIX

12. redhat server won't route thru firewall

13. Routing Win 95 thru Linux w/ISDN and Ethernet