lp/lpr and OSR 5.0.5 nothing prints for user.

lp/lpr and OSR 5.0.5 nothing prints for user.

Post by 80 » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a client with the following problem.  They can from any user do a
cat file | lpr, lpr filename, ... and the lp system acts just like it has
spooled a print job, but nothing prints out.  Root can do the exact same
thing but it prints.  There are no error messages.  Everything looks just
fine.  Jobs show they have printed in the log, but nothing is printing?
Any ideas.  I have never seen anything like this before?

Thanks,

Boyd Gerber

lp/lpr and OSR 5.0.5 nothing prints for user.

Post by Scott Robert » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

This question has been asked here before and I've experienced a
similar problem myself (except I get error messages mailed back to the
offending user). When root can do something but another user cannot,
the answer is almost always file permissions. Check your
/usr/spool/lp/model and /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces
directories.

>I have a client with the following problem.  They can from any user
do a
>cat file | lpr, lpr filename, ... and the lp system acts just like it
has
>spooled a print job, but nothing prints out.  Root can do the exact
same
>thing but it prints.  There are no error messages.  Everything looks
just
>fine.  Jobs show they have printed in the log, but nothing is
printing?
>Any ideas.  I have never seen anything like this before?

>Thanks,

>Boyd Gerber

lp/lpr and OSR 5.0.5 nothing prints for user.

Post by 80 » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I found the problem.  The file hosts.equiv was missing the o+r.  I too had
thought that it would be something in the /usr/spool/lp heirarchy.  That
all check OK.  What does not make sense is they were users on the same
system that could not print.  I add the chmod command above and then
everyone could print.  I would not normally look at that file.

Thanks,

Boyd Gerber