Can't boot into single user mode OR multiuser mode!

Can't boot into single user mode OR multiuser mode!

Post by Mark J. Ros » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I seem to have lost the ability to boot up at all!  My system hangs when I get
to the prompt asking me to enter the root password for system maintenance
mode, or enter ^D to go to multiuser mode.  Nothing I've thought of prevents
the hang.  The only thing I tried doing before this happened was installing
a BTLD (the smad driver) so that I can access a newly purchased zip drive.
Unfortunately, I couldn't load the BTLD at boot time (because I get an "out
of low memory" error), and I couldn't load it with "installpkg" because I
encountered several "mv: couldn't move because it's a read only filesystem"
errors.  Then when I tried going to single user mode, I got a "no entry in
/etc/utmp" error.  Then when I tried rebooting, I got stuck in this hang
nightmare.  Is there some way to fix this or should I considering doing a
reinstall (ugh)?

Mark

Post by Bela Lubki » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I seem to have lost the ability to boot up at all!  My system hangs when I get
> to the prompt asking me to enter the root password for system maintenance
> mode, or enter ^D to go to multiuser mode.  Nothing I've thought of prevents
> the hang.  The only thing I tried doing before this happened was installing
> a BTLD (the smad driver) so that I can access a newly purchased zip drive.
> Unfortunately, I couldn't load the BTLD at boot time (because I get an "out
> of low memory" error), and I couldn't load it with "installpkg" because I
> encountered several "mv: couldn't move because it's a read only filesystem"
> errors.  Then when I tried going to single user mode, I got a "no entry in
> /etc/utmp" error.  Then when I tried rebooting, I got stuck in this hang
> nightmare.  Is there some way to fix this or should I considering doing a
> reinstall (ugh)?

To fix the booting problem, boot, get to the "enter ^D" prompt, enter
your root password followed by a bunch of ^J's.  Then enter "stty sane"
and a bunch of ^J's.  Then `rm /etc/ioctl.syscon` and reboot.

You should be able to load that BTLD with installpkg: first make a copy
of it and *don't* write-protect that floppy.  Then installpkg from the
copy.

Quote:>Bela<

1. Keyboard works in Single-user mode, not in multi-user

Can anyone give me a clue why this is happening:

    When I boot up to the "LILO boot:" prompt, if I type in "linux", the
keyboard won't work when I get to the "login" prompt (booting into text
mode, not X windows).  I can telnet into the system, but can't get the
keyboard to affect anything, even the screen blanker.
    But, if I enter "linux single" at the "LILO boot:" prompt, the
keyboard DOES work, and I can log in normally.  But can't do much.

    What file would cause this behavior?
--
=======================================
Tom Law

2. Banshee Voodoo drivers?

3. Keyboard works in single-user mode; not in multi-user

4. How-to's for dns/dhcp server setup

5. multi-user or single user mode

6. Network setup

7. How to boot in single user mode, the root filesystem mounted in read/WRITE mode

8. Parallel loopback, or dummy printer load

9. can't boot into single-user mode

10. Stopping users booting in single user mode (Was Re: What universities use Linux)

11. Can't boot into multiuser mode

12. boot to single user mode

13. Boot up to single user mode...