Tape Error

Post by Jesús González Jiméne » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

        First please, sorry my english.
        We have a customer running SCO Openserver 5.0.4. He has  a tape Panther
Mini 4600 model TDC 3720 to backup his datas.

        Several times system hang when it's doing backup (cpio format) and it
show following message in console:

Warning: swapseg - SWAP read error 5 on swapdev hd (1/41)

        Any idea what is the problem?

Thanks.

     Jess Gonzlez Jimnez

Tape Error

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

>    We have a customer running SCO Openserver 5.0.4. He has  a tape Panther
> Mini 4600 model TDC 3720 to backup his datas.

>    Several times system hang when it's doing backup (cpio format) and it
> show following message in console:

> Warning: swapseg - SWAP read error 5 on swapdev hd (1/41)

>    Any idea what is the problem?

It's a disk error on the swap division, 1/41.  That's on the same disk
as the root filesystem.  The root disk is dying.  You should check
cabling and termination.  If that's OK, the drive itself must be
replaced.
Quote:>Bela<

1. Colorado HP jumbo 250, tape formatting, and tape errors

Hi,

I have a tyan mother board with redhat linux 2.1 and Win 95 installed on
the same system.  I Lilo to start up Win94 or Linux.  A jumbo 250 tape
drive is present in the system and it is attached to the floppy cable.

On the Linux Redhat side, I have ftape installed on what ever version
it is.  I seem to remember its 2.x
I recently went to do a tar to the tape drive and it worked OK.
However when I went to do a big tar, I got tape errors.

Knowing that the tapes are susceptable to strecting and other problems,
I went over the Win/95 and tried to bring up the tape formatter and
guess what?
I got a BIOS error!

To format, Do I really have to get the new Win95 colorado backup
software,
or can I get tape.exe, as suggested by the ftape manual?
Also, where do I get tape.exe?

Also, is ftape3.x in rpm format?

Thanks

2. What dist do kernel hackers use?

3. SCSI tapes, reading past logical end-of-tape (error recovering)

4. examining ftp security

5. Tape Utils for recovering from tape errors?

6. TAR straight to Win95 / DOS

7. Tape Errors

8. how to play music from CD

9. MegaRAID & Tape errors

10. QIC02 tape error

11. Exabyte Eagle 96 tape errors

12. scsi tape error with Exabyte 8500

13. Accessing tape error counts (SunOS/Exabyte)