resolve.conf breaks MMDF baduser

Post by fu.. » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I'm not too sure how to begin describing this problem...

I have an ODT 3 box as a firewall, and MMDF is configed so that
incomming SMTP traffic is baduser'ed to another box on the inside
of the firewall.
Well in the process of getting httpd running, I noticed that httpd's
log files was only showing dotted notation for the hosts that were
accessing it.  So I decided to put some entries into /etc/resolv.conf

domain mydomain.com
nameserver ISP.vendor.name.server
nameserver internal.name.server.box

As soon as I did this, the baduser stuff stopped working.
The log file now showed names instead of the numbers (as I wanted)
but my incomming mail broke.

If I send mail from the firewall into my local domain, it works,
It just doesn't work from mail originating from the rest of the world.

After a little bit of investigation, its the nameserver lines that cause
it to fail, and I don't think it matters which.

If it matters, my ISP is my nameserver for the rest of the world.

I don't exactly know what other info might be of help, so if anyone
knows whats going on, or needs to know more info, please ask

Any ideas?

TIA
fulko

P.S. Please mail me directly at _both_ addresses below.

Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-528-8811  x 6010
Senior Engineering Designer,         Direct: 905-333-6010
Information Services Division,       Fax:    905-333-6050

Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7R 4B3

resolve.conf breaks MMDF baduser

Post by Sam Liddicot » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

For your chanel, in your mmdftailor, make sure you have:

flags=route

and not

flags=ns

Then mmdf won't try and nslookup, but route (to badhosts) straight away.

> I'm not too sure how to begin describing this problem...

> I have an ODT 3 box as a firewall, and MMDF is configed so that
> incomming SMTP traffic is baduser'ed to another box on the inside
> of the firewall.
> Well in the process of getting httpd running, I noticed that httpd's
> log files was only showing dotted notation for the hosts that were
> accessing it.  So I decided to put some entries into /etc/resolv.conf

> domain mydomain.com
> nameserver ISP.vendor.name.server
> nameserver internal.name.server.box

> As soon as I did this, the baduser stuff stopped working.
> The log file now showed names instead of the numbers (as I wanted)
> but my incomming mail broke.

> If I send mail from the firewall into my local domain, it works,
> It just doesn't work from mail originating from the rest of the world.

> After a little bit of investigation, its the nameserver lines that cause
> it to fail, and I don't think it matters which.

> If it matters, my ISP is my nameserver for the rest of the world.

> I don't exactly know what other info might be of help, so if anyone
> knows whats going on, or needs to know more info, please ask

> Any ideas?

> TIA
> fulko

> P.S. Please mail me directly at _both_ addresses below.

> Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-528-8811  x 6010
> Senior Engineering Designer,         Direct: 905-333-6010
> Information Services Division,       Fax:    905-333-6050

> Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7R 4B3

+------------------------

|                                       you may NOT call me Sam-I-Am       |
| Campbell Scientific Ltd                                                  |
                                              -----------------------------+

resolve.conf breaks MMDF baduser

Post by fu.. » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> For your chanel, in your mmdftailor, make sure you have:

> flags=route

> and not

> flags=ns

> Then mmdf won't try and nslookup, but route (to badhosts) straight away.

GREAT, thanks alot, that did it.  When I looked in the channel file, I found
it was empty, so I put your suggestion in.

> > I have an ODT 3 box as a firewall, and MMDF is configed so that
> > incomming SMTP traffic is baduser'ed to another box on the inside
> > of the firewall.
> > Well in the process of getting httpd running, I noticed that httpd's
> > log files was only showing dotted notation for the hosts that were
> > accessing it.  So I decided to put some entries into /etc/resolv.conf
> > As soon as I did this, the baduser stuff stopped working.
> > The log file now showed names instead of the numbers (as I wanted)
> > but my incomming mail broke.

Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-528-8811  x 6010
Senior Engineering Designer,         Direct: 905-333-6010
Information Services Division,       Fax:    905-333-6050

Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7R 4B3

1. MMDF dumps 'baduser' mail in DeadLetters instead of bouncing it back

Hi all,

We have the following problem:

A 3.2.v4.2 machine is our smarthost. It uses MMDF.
The surrounding systems in our network are configured to use this machine as
BADHOST and BADUSER channel. Problem is that when i send a mail to: JOHNDOE from
one of these machines, the user is unknown (which indeed is true ;) ) and the
mail is dumped in /usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/DeadLetters instead of being bounced
back!!. So in some kind of way the maildeliveryprogram is not able to handle
the USER UNKNOWN message it gets during the SMTP session with the smarthost and
dumps the mail in the DeadLetters file. Instead it should bounce the mail back
to the user.
One of the systems in our network runs Sendmail, with OS5  and sending to a
unknown user from there works as it should.

Could anybody please tell me why this happens and how i can correct this problem
?

Thanx!

Ray

[answers via e-mail are appreciated!]

Ray Vermey - Hiscom B.V.        |
Systemmanager Unix Systems      |WWW Homepage:
Schipholweg 97                  |//www.hiscom.nl/personal/rvermey
2316 XA  Leiden                 |

Fax  : +31 71 5216675           |Visit Leiden Digital City! //www.dsl.nl

2. Developing proxy server - Don't have enough Speed.

3. MMDF: baduser does not get bounced back to sender??

4. Diamond Stealth 64 PCI?

5. resolve.conf (domain name resolving on client)

6. RH 5.1 and Epson Colour Stylus 400

7. MMDF Conf

8. 4/470

9. resolve.conf and kppp

10. PPP and resolve.conf

11. A question about resolve.conf?

12. Solaris 7, unable to resolve IP adress despite resolv.conf- Please help

13. resolve.conf clobbered by DHCP