NO DNS! - Console and pseudo Login Problem!!!!

NO DNS! - Console and pseudo Login Problem!!!!

Post by Richard Thumwoo » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hope yer all ok, have a good one here!!

Err I know that the group is exhausted with questions about "slow
login" aaarrrrrgghhh, but I think this one maybe a bit different.

One of our customers has a Dell Poweredge 2400 with a Mirrored Raid
system.
The system has Specialix RIO(suck through teeth) units connected to it
which also work fine.  He
is using PC's and dumb screens running ANSI to connect to the system.

He has installed 5.0.6 from fresh as this is a brand new bit of kit.

He has a login problem,  the login prompt comes up fine, can enter
username
and password but then the system takes 20-30 seconds to actually login.
Once logged in the system performance is fine and they have no issues.

This doesn't happen directly after a reboot, it seems to happen after 3
days
or so.  He says that he has found in the SCO help actually contained
within
SCO 5.0.6 itself suggested making some changes as root and he says that
fixes it but couldn't tell me where to find it and I can't see it
anywhere.  This only fixes it for three days or so......

The system log reports " telnetd: can not find terminal control
database entry for
line ttyp(lineno) " and this is the error he said that he used to find
the
reference within the SCO 5.0.6 help.

There is no DNS on this system and the resolv.conf and named.conf have
been
moved to ensure this has not been setup accidentally.

He seems to think that it maybe because he has upgraded the number of
users,
but didn't run a test on the system before adding the new licence key
as he
did the fresh install and then added the new licence to reach over 256
users.

He says that the kernel added 576 pseudo tty devices when he added the
new
licences.

Good one eh????    Oh by the way this also happens on the console!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Rich

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NO DNS! - Console and pseudo Login Problem!!!!

Post by Terry Paterso » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hope yer all ok, have a good one here!!

<snip>
> He has installed 5.0.6 from fresh as this is a brand new bit of kit.

> He has a login problem,  the login prompt comes up fine, can enter
> username
> and password but then the system takes 20-30 seconds to actually login.
> Once logged in the system performance is fine and they have no issues.

> This doesn't happen directly after a reboot, it seems to happen after 3
> days
> or so.  He says that he has found in the SCO help actually contained
> within
> SCO 5.0.6 itself suggested making some changes as root and he says that
> fixes it but couldn't tell me where to find it and I can't see it
> anywhere.  This only fixes it for three days or so......

<snip>

I'm also having this problem on a system running 5.0.6 Enterprise in Dallas,
Texas -- had been running 5.0.5 no problem, then replaced server with a new
machine (Quad Xeon, HP 6000 ?, RAID 10, 1GB RAM) - and I'm having exactly
the problem your describing - there's no /etc/resolv.conf file, the machine
is'nt heavily loaded, and I've tried searching the SCO technical articles to
no avail.

I'd be very interested to know if someone has a solution to this problem !

Thanks

-
Terry Paterson
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Actual Systems
Kinauld House
375 Lanark Road West
Edinburgh
Scotland

NO DNS! - Console and pseudo Login Problem!!!!

Post by Gary Quirin » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:01:21 GMT, "Terry Paterson"

>I'm also having this problem on a system running 5.0.6 Enterprise in Dallas,
>Texas -- had been running 5.0.5 no problem, then replaced server with a new
>machine (Quad Xeon, HP 6000 ?, RAID 10, 1GB RAM) - and I'm having exactly
>the problem your describing - there's no /etc/resolv.conf file, the machine
>is'nt heavily loaded, and I've tried searching the SCO technical articles to
>no avail.

>I'd be very interested to know if someone has a solution to this problem !

I'm running 5.0.6 without these problems.  But, I always step on the
wtmp and utmp files when I boot.

I would also check your /etc/profile for any additions that might be
delaying the prompt or execution of your .profiles.

Put these lines at the bottom of /etc/bcheckrc:

Quote:>/etc/utmp
>/etc/wtmp
>/etc/utmpx
>/etc/wtmpx

Gary Q

1. NIS allows remote login but not console login?

I setup a Solaris 2.5 machine as an NIS client (HPUX 10.10 machines are
the NIS servers), but the Solaris machine is only allowing logins
through NIS _remotely_! That is, if a login is not found in the passwd
file but can be found over NIS (using the "+" in /etc/passwd), that user
can only rlogin/telnet to the Solaris machine, but not login at the
console!

Okay, to be even more specific (I did a little troubleshooting), login
to Solaris (the windowing system) or CDE does _not_ work. However, a
text-only console login works fine (just like rlogin/telnet).

Any ideas why text-only logins work but not windowes console logins? I
don't want to resort to a script that copies necessary logins to the
/etc/passwd file.

Thanks,
  John

PS: I'd appreciate email replies as well, since I don't get around to
this group often (but I did read the FAQ and as many posts about NIS
before posting this!)

2. linux device driver: where to find the pointer to the SA_SHIRQ flag?

3. how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

4. need help!!!

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. athlon freezes - no action anymore

7. May 23 10:50:05 mwsbit04 pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.info] pseudo-device: devinfo0

8. WP6.0 demo: /dev/spx invalid argument

9. STREAMS message from pseudo-device to pseudo-device

10. Problem: Console login not possible when using NIS and network is broken.

11. Solaris 8 Console Login Problems

12. problem with login from console - redhat 6.1

13. Solaris 8 + NIS = console login problems???