uupc connection to Altos UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2

uupc connection to Altos UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2

Post by SELECT Computer Systems Lt » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm having problems, and for those not in the know, this is basically SCO's
System V/386 3.2
All I want is to be able to send files from my pc to a clients machine, so
I'm not interested in bells and whistles of uucp.
I have I think correctly configured uucp on the Altos box, which already
has a line to which I can dial in using PC-anywhere
for terminal emulation.  I've set up a user account for my file transfer
called uucpin.  The debug output from uupc concerning the connection
looks like (with amendments for obvious security reasons ):-

(3) getmodem: loading modem configuration file C:/UUPC/HAYES24.MDM
(5) chooseCommunications: Chose suite internal
(4) M state = F
(1) callup: Calling CSTMR via HAYES24 at 9600 on Fri Jan 30 10:38:27 1998
(15) openline: COM2, 9600
(0) ShowModem: 0x30  Data Set Ready Clear to Send
(2) wanted "" in 3 seconds
(2) sending ""
(2) wanted "" in 3 seconds
(2) sending "\pATZ"
(2) wanted "OK" in 3 seconds
(2) got that
(2) sending "\pATE0X1S0=0"
(2) wanted "OK" in 3 seconds
(2) got that
(2) sending "\p\c"
(2) sending "ATDtelephone_no"
(2) wanted "CONNECT" in 40 seconds
(2) got that
(3) dial: Modem reports connected
(0) ShowModem: 0xb0  Carrier Detect Data Set Ready Clear to Send
(2) expecting 6 of 12 ""
(2) wanted "" in 30 seconds
(2) callup: sending 7 of 12 "\r"
(2) sending "\r"
(2) expecting 8 of 12 "ogin:--ogin:--ogin:"
(2) wanted "ogin:" in 30 seconds
(2) got that
(2) callup: sending 9 of 12 "\duucpin"
(2) sending "\duucpin"
(2) expecting 10 of 12 "word:--word:"
(2) wanted "word:" in 30 seconds
(2) got that
(2) callup: sending 11 of 12 "MYPCID"
(2) sending "MYPCID"
(4) M state = K
(0) ShowModem: 0x30  Data Set Ready Clear to Send
(2) nsread: User aborted processing
(2) rmsg: Timeout waiting for sync
(0) Startup: Timeout for first message
(0) Could not connect to remote system.
(5) stater: "C:/UUPC/hostatus" is 390 bytes; updated Fri Jan 30 10:35:52
1998
(5) stater: "C:/UUPC/hostatus" is 390 bytes; updated Fri Jan 30 10:39:28
1998
(3) nhangup: complete.
(2) wanted "" in 3 seconds
(2) sending "\pATH"
(2) wanted "OK" in 3 seconds
(2) got that
(2) sending "\pATZ"
(2) wanted "OK" in 3 seconds
(2) got that
(3) Buffer overflows: 0
(3) Receive overruns: 0
(3) Break characters: 0
(3) Framing errors:   0
(3) Parity errors:    0
(3) Transmit errors:  0
(3) DSR errors:       0
(3) CTS errors:       0

It appears, from watching the log and the modem lights that everything is
ok, until we get confirmation of the password, at which point the
CD and OH lights go out, which indicate that the line has been dropped.
I'm not a modem expert, and I'm just using the standard
modem script, as my modem is a 33.6K Hayes compatible.  The highest speed
that the modem on the customers end will go is 9600, which is why the line
speed is so low.

Thanks Mark.

uupc connection to Altos UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2

Post by Kevin Smi » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm having problems, and for those not in the know, this is basically SCO's
>System V/386 3.2
>All I want is to be able to send files from my pc to a clients machine, so
>I'm not interested in bells and whistles of uucp.
>I have I think correctly configured uucp on the Altos box, which already
>has a line to which I can dial in using PC-anywhere
>for terminal emulation.  I've set up a user account for my file transfer
>called uucpin.  The debug output from uupc concerning the connection
>looks like (with amendments for obvious security reasons ):-

> ...snip...

>It appears, from watching the log and the modem lights that everything is
>ok, until we get confirmation of the password, at which point the
>CD and OH lights go out, which indicate that the line has been dropped.
>I'm not a modem expert, and I'm just using the standard
>modem script, as my modem is a 33.6K Hayes compatible.  The highest speed
>that the modem on the customers end will go is 9600, which is why the line
>speed is so low.

>Thanks Mark.

Do the login manually.  I.e. call the number and login as uucpin.
What do you see?  Does the uucpin account have /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
as it's shell?  What's in the uucp logs /usr/spool/uucp/.Log/uucico?
If that doesn't tell you anything, what happens if you login to
the target machine directly (from the console) as uucpin?
--
Do two rights make | Kevin Smith, ShadeTree Software, Philadelpha, PA, USA
a libertarian      | 001-215-487-3811  shady.com,kevin  bbs.cpcn.com,sysop

Post by Jon Landenburge » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> [...]

> (2) got that
> (2) sending "\pATZ"
> (2) wanted "OK" in 3 seconds
> (2) got that
> (3) Buffer overflows: 0
> (3) Receive overruns: 0
> (3) Break characters: 0
> (3) Framing errors:   0
> (3) Parity errors:    0
> (3) Transmit errors:  0
> (3) DSR errors:       0
> (3) CTS errors:       0

> It appears, from watching the log and the modem lights that everything is
> ok, until we get confirmation of the password, at which point the
> CD and OH lights go out, which indicate that the line has been dropped.
> I'm not a modem expert, and I'm just using the standard
> modem script, as my modem is a 33.6K Hayes compatible.  The highest speed
> that the modem on the customers end will go is 9600, which is why the line

Mark,
We had a similar problem, not setting up for UUCP but allowing a user to
call in using cu.  Problem turned out to be that the id did not have a
home directory.  Even though we could su to the id from a terminal
already on the system if we were to dial in we would be disconnected,
without a message, one the password was given. Good luck