Win95 TELNET looses echo when connected to SCO OpenServer

Win95 TELNET looses echo when connected to SCO OpenServer

Post by Douglas A. Haine » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm having a problem with the TELNET on Windows95 when connected to SCO
OpenServer 5.0.2.  Any output which produces more than 23 lines will cause
TELNET to stop echoing data and anything I type.  The TELNET process is
still
running, as is the shell on Unix.  I must disconnect the TELNET session and
reconnect.  I've talked with SCO for hours and they say this is a Microsoft
problem.  I've used TELNET on Windows95 to HP-UX and AIX and they work
fine, so
I don't think it's Windows.  For some reason TELNET is just shutting off
echo and
no one can tell me why.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Frank da Cr » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: I'm having a problem with the TELNET on Windows95 when connected to SCO
: OpenServer 5.0.2.  Any output which produces more than 23 lines will cause
: TELNET to stop echoing data and anything I type.  The TELNET process is
: still running, as is the shell on Unix.  I must disconnect the TELNET
: session and reconnect.  I've talked with SCO for hours and they say this is
: a Microsoft problem.  I've used TELNET on Windows95 to HP-UX and AIX and
: they work fine, so I don't think it's Windows.  For some reason TELNET is
: just shutting off echo and no one can tell me why.  Any help would be
: greatly appreciated.
:
I would tend to agree with SCO.  Microsoft Telnet is not a serious Telnet
client, nor a serious terminal emulator, as Microsoft itself would be the
first to tell you if you could get through to them.  Try a more serious
telnet client, one that supports connections to SCO, and one that you can
get tech support for, like Kermit 95:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

- Frank

Post by mike keer » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I'm having a problem with the TELNET on Windows95 when connected to SCO
> OpenServer 5.0.2.  Any output which produces more than 23 lines will cause
> TELNET to stop echoing data and anything I type.  The TELNET process is
> still
> running, as is the shell on Unix.  I must disconnect the TELNET session and
> reconnect.  I've talked with SCO for hours and they say this is a Microsoft
> problem.  I've used TELNET on Windows95 to HP-UX and AIX and they work
> fine, so
> I don't think it's Windows.  For some reason TELNET is just shutting off
> echo and
> no one can tell me why.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello
   I have the same problem when i telnet into my open server 5.0.2
system also. I found that my network card (a TRENDware TE-16 XP/CT)
which is a 16 bit ISA card could not pass any data block bigger then
1470 bytes long. I tested this using ping and ajusting the packet size
until ping hungup. I finally used the command

        ifconfig mtu 1400 /dev/d22e0 to

This reset the max transmission unit to lower then the limit of my card
and the telnet work ok after that.

I hope this helps

Mike keers

1. telnet echo on/off causes strange crlf echo

Hello everybody. I am developing a telnet server emulation in C. Upon
login i send the client a IAC WILL ECHO in order to turn echoing off
for password input. After i get the password i send a IAC WONT ECHO to
turn client echoing back on.
The problem is that although the second messages make the client to
echo input characters, something goes wrong concerning the crlf
echoing. To be more specific every time i hit "enter" it just echoes ^M
on the client console.
If no IAC WILL ECHO and IAC WONT ECHO is issued everything work just
fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

2. How can I write a File from the kernel

3. WIN95 and SCO OpenServer 5

4. cpu usage information

5. sco-list: OpenServer to Win95 Print Sharing

6. ati 64bit drivers ?????

7. Running SCO OpenServer Enterprise System and Win95

8. Need help with networking

9. Dualboot Win95 and SCO OpenServer

10. SATAN on SCO OpenServer 5 or Win95/NT

11. 75 connect time on OpenServer 5.0.5 for telnet/ftp

12. 3270 telnet for SCO OpenServer 5

13. OFF subject (sorry) connecting SCO OpenServer 5 via slip to internet