New or Revised TAs on websco, 970807

Post by RadleyRob » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

The following problems are addressed in Technical Articles that appeared on
SCO's web site on 970807.

Some of these TAs are new, others are revisions of prior versions.

dev/730:
PROBLEM:  I am trying to run some of the demos located in the /usr/java/demo
          directory. For instance, I try to run the TicTacToe demo by changing
          to the directory /usr/java/demo/TicTacToe and executing the following
          command:

                # java TicTacToe

          This returns the following error:

                In class TicTacToe: void main(String argv[]) is not defined

          How can I successfully view these demos?

lli/63:
PROBLEM:  Where can I find drivers for new network cards that I want to
          install on my SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2, or 5.0.4 system?
          If a driver for a supported card is revised, where can I find
          the revised driver?  I have heard that there will be no more
          releases of the Advanced Hardware Supplement (AHS).

nfs/75:
PROBLEM:  This document lists some known problems with NIS in the
          SCO OpenServer Release 5.0 product family, and includes
          patches or workarounds. SCO is aware of these
          problems and is working to resolve them.

          1. Account Manager core dumps when used to administer
          NIS users; or if using the command line utilities
          such as useradd, userdel or usermod to administer
          NIS users, it fails with errors like the following:

             Unable to set password for user <username>
             Unable to change user password
             General failure occurred in processing the request
             External error: NIS password change failed

          2. When attempting to set the password of an NIS user
          on the Master server, the following error
          message is displayed and the password is not changed:

            yppasswd: Couldn't change passwd on <hostname>: error code 3
            Password request denied
            Reason: Remote password change request denied.

           3. Local, non-administrative user accounts that are
            pre-existing before NIS is set up or that are added
            after NIS is set up are added to the passwd.yp file
            and treated as distributed users. This may cause
            problems if the same local users exist on other
            systems that are running NIS within the same domain.
            For example, if userA exists as a local account on
            both master and slave, the master will update the
            password for userA on the slave whenever NIS maps
            are transferred to the slave. This may prevent userA
            from being able to login on the slave.

os/3408:
PROBLEM:  Where can I find drivers for new graphics cards that I want to
          install on my SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2, or 5.0.4 system?
          If a driver for a supported card is revised, where can I find
          the revised driver?  I have heard that there will be no more
          releases of the Advanced Hardware Supplement (AHS).

os/3436:
PROBLEM:  In versions of SCO OpenServer operating systems prior to Release
          5.0.0, I could use the "-n" option to the ps(C) command to
          determine the booted kernel, or to run ps after relinking but
          before rebooting. For instance, if I relink the kernel, by
          default the current /unix gets moved to /unix.old, and a new
          /unix gets created.  Since the new /unix does not match the
          booted kernel in memory, this message:

                   ps: /unix: not the booted system

          appears when the ps command is run.  However, in SCO OpenServer
          Release 5, the -n option does not seem to work.  On an OpenServer
          5.0.0 or 5.0.2 system, if I enter the command:

                   ps -n /unix.old

          before relinking, or the command:

                   ps -n /unix

          after relinking but before rebooting, the ps command works in
          both cases.  The same commands on an OpenServer Release 5.0.4
          system result in the error:

                   ps: ERROR: Illegal option -- n

          Why is this so, and what alternative do I have to easily identify
          the booted kernel?

os/3447:
PROBLEM:  What drivers for new or revised graphics cards are available from
          SCO for SCO OpenServer 5.0.0 and 5.0.2?  I have heard that there
          will be no more releases of the Advanced Hardware Supplement (AHS).

tcpip/410:
PROBLEM:  I've installed the driver, configured the stack, rebuilt the
          kernel, and have rebooted the system.  The Pro/100 NIC isn't
          working.