System timer on SCO OSE 5 is fast

Post by Edward Hoope » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Here is the problem: the system timer on my SCO system (OSE 5/Unix
3.2v5.0.2) is fast.  Not just ahead of the real time clock by a few
seconds or minutes, but after 30 minutes it is ahead by an hour.  After
an hour it is ahead by 2 hours.  The real time clock is fine.  It hasn't
gained more than a few seconds in the course of months.  The only time
when the rtc is off is when cron resets it using the system clock as the
'acurate' time.  I have since reset cron so setclk uses the rtc to
adjust the system clock.

One person suggested that the timing chip may be bad.  This would be
true IFF the rtc was being affected (which it is not) or the rtc uses a
different timeing mechanism than the CPU (which I susspect is the
driving force behind the system clock).

What is truth?

TIA

Edward Hooper
--
Connector Distribution Corporation            Edward Hooper
Where connectors come from!                   (Dokhebi!)

Voice: 310-632-2466     Fax: 310-632-1249     Life: still looking

Why can't MS-Win do "net use com8: \\server\modem" ???

1. POSIX timers versus System V timers

Recently I posted a question on a different newsgroup pertaining to
POSIX timers.  I wanted to know how POSIX timers work.  In System V,
timers are implemented via an alarm system call, which causes a
SIG_ALM signal to be generated when the time elapses.  My question was
whether POSIX timers work the same way, or are they handled
differently.

I have been told that POSIX specifies an INTERFACE, not an
IMPLEMENTATION.  Hence I revise my question:

How are POSIX timers implemented on Solaris?

Thanks,
Nimmi

2. News Seagate 4GB Won't Take a Label!

3. System clock running fast on SCO 5.0.2

4. PCI: remove usage of pci_for_each_dev() in sound/oss/via82cxxx_audio.c

5. RAID / SCO OSE 5.0 - Experiences?

6. MkLinux

7. SCO OSE 5 on Thinkpad 755 ?

8. Gpm-0.9 released

9. HP ScanJet 3p driver for SCO OSE R3.0?

10. SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

11. Routing address table problem with SCO OSE R5.0

12. Socks5 for SCO OSE 5

13. Need help navigating SCO OSE 5 online manuals