Terminal codes on SCO

Post by mvran.. » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

     I have questions on the functionality of terminals connected to SCO.

     I know that when you use "TERM=term_type" and "export TERM" you are
     telling the system how to interpret incoming and outgoing terminal
     codes.

     What I want to know is how this would affect an application that is
     already designed to send and receive the proper terminal codes.  Would
     the app send the proper codes and then would SCO check to make sure
     that the code is correct?

     If this is true, can you tell SCO to "passthru" everything without
     checking?

     Thanks,

     Michael C. Vraniak

Terminal codes on SCO

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>      I have questions on the functionality of terminals connected to SCO.

>      I know that when you use "TERM=term_type" and "export TERM" you are
>      telling the system how to interpret incoming and outgoing terminal
>      codes.

Not quite true. You are allowing those programs which are smart enough
to find out how your terminal sends and interpets codes. The OS itself
does nothing with the TERM setting.

Quote:

>      What I want to know is how this would affect an application that is
>      already designed to send and receive the proper terminal codes.  Would
>      the app send the proper codes and then would SCO check to make sure
>      that the code is correct?

The app is not affected in any way. Nor does the OS check anything.
The OS doesn't care -- it has merely arranged to give your program
a hint which it may believe or ignore.

Quote:

--
Kurt J. Lanza

Terminal codes on SCO

:
:      I know that when you use "TERM=term_type" and "export TERM" you are
:      telling the system how to interpret incoming and outgoing terminal
:      codes.
:
:      What I want to know is how this would affect an application that is
:      already designed to send and receive the proper terminal codes.  Would
:      the app send the proper codes and then would SCO check to make sure
:      that the code is correct?
:
:      If this is true, can you tell SCO to "passthru" everything without
:      checking?

The OS self doesn't check anything, the TERM variable is used by
applications, usuall linked with temcap, terminfo or curses routines.
If an application doesn't use one of those or interprets $TERM in any
other way, it has no effect at all.
--
Udo Munk - http://www.umnet.de/
No working email address provided in newsgroups anymore, sorry for the

Terminal codes on SCO

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

|      I have questions on the functionality of terminals connected to SCO.
|
|      I know that when you use "TERM=term_type" and "export TERM" you are
|      telling the system how to interpret incoming and outgoing terminal
|      codes.

No you're not telling "the system" anything.  You're setting up an
environment value that many applications will use when dealing with your
screen.  Vi, pg, more, less, for example, all need to know waht escape
sequences are appropriate to send to your screen to do certain things, like
clear the screen, put it into reverse video, insert a line...

|      What I want to know is how this would affect an application that is
|      already designed to send and receive the proper terminal codes.  Would
|      the app send the proper codes and then would SCO check to make sure
|      that the code is correct?

Just who decided what is proper, and for which terminal??? Something that is
proper for a particular screen operation on, say, the console, will be
completely bogus on a Wyse-60.

|      If this is true, can you tell SCO to "passthru" everything without
|      checking?

If your application sends something to the tty, then it goes to the tty.
Nothing is "checked" by the kernel.