PPP from Win95 to SCO OSR 5

Post by Alan Won » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I set up a dynamic incoming PPP connection at work and can't seem to get
the dial up networking from Win95 to get in.  When I try, I get a few
lines of garbage and then it bombs out.  What settings do I need for the
Win95 side?  Under Server Types of dial up networking, I have the
advanced options of log on to network and enable software compression
turned on.  Going into TCP/IP Settings, I select specify an IP address
and put the address of the machine calling the SCO server in.  In the
next section, I have server assigned name server addresses.  On the
bottom of that screen I have selected use IP header compression and use
default gateway on remote network.

The PPP connection works when tested with an internet kit at work but
can't figure out how to do it with Win95 from home.  Help would be
greatly appreciated.

Alan

PPP from Win95 to SCO OSR 5

Post by Eigil Krogh Sorene » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I set up a dynamic incoming PPP connection at work and can't seem to get
> the dial up networking from Win95 to get in.  When I try, I get a few
> lines of garbage and then it bombs out.  What settings do I need for the
> Win95 side?  Under Server Types of dial up networking, I have the
> advanced options of log on to network and enable software compression
> turned on.  Going into TCP/IP Settings, I select specify an IP address
> and put the address of the machine calling the SCO server in.  In the
> next section, I have server assigned name server addresses.  On the
> bottom of that screen I have selected use IP header compression and use
> default gateway on remote network.

> The PPP connection works when tested with an internet kit at work but
> can't figure out how to do it with Win95 from home.  Help would be
> greatly appreciated.

> Alan

I don't know if this is true for your case, but to login to the PPP you can't use the usrname &
password that you type in in the window that pops up when you start "Your connection" on the
Win'95. (This username and password is used to later login to a MS-Network, if you have "Log n to
network" checked in the Properties -> Server Types window for "your connection".

What I did to login to the PPP is this:

1) For "your connection" chose
Properties -> Configure -> Options

2) Check "Bring up terminal window after dialing"

Then, after your modem has made the connection to the SCO, a terminal window will pop up. From
that window you log in so thatt ppp is activated on the SCO system. Then you press The button
"Continue" (F7).

Only if you must login to some kind of MS-network, e.g. SAMBA on your SCO you need have the
Properties -> Server Types -> Logon to network checked and the userid and password right in the
first window that comen up when you start "your connection".

The login in the Terminal Window described above can be automated by using e.g. robodun. Robodun
can be found at e.g.

http://www.cityscape.co.uk/users/bp34/win95.html#RoboDUN Automatic Logging On

--
 -- Eigil Krogh Sorensen

VKI                     !                                !
Water Quality Institute !Phone:                          !E-mail:
Science Park Aarhus     ! +45  86 20 20 00 or            !

DK-8000 Aarhus C        !Fax:                            !
DENMARK.                ! +45   86 19 75 11              !

PPP from Win95 to SCO OSR 5

Post by Jim Gi » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> PPP from Win95 to SCO OSR 5

> Wed, 10 Jan 1996 17:34:39 -0800
> Netcom

> Newsgroups:
> comp.unix.sco.misc

> I set up a dynamic incoming PPP connection at work and can't seem to
get
> the dial up networking from Win95 to get in.  When I try, I get a few
> lines of garbage and then it bombs out.  What settings do I need for
the
> Win95 side?  Under Server Types of dial up networking, I have the
> advanced options of log on to network and enable software compression
> turned on.  Going into TCP/IP Settings, I select specify an IP address
> and put the address of the machine calling the SCO server in.  In the
> next section, I have server assigned name server addresses.  On the
> bottom of that screen I have selected use IP header compression and
use
> default gateway on remote network.
> The PPP connection works when tested with an internet kit at work but
> can't figure out how to do it with Win95 from home.  Help would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Alan

We've setup three 95 systems for remote PPP connections to various SCO
Open Server 5.0 systems.  They work fine except that we currently don't
have the login script working yet.

Try:

1) SET: bring up terminal window after login (so that you can manually
login)

2) SET: Dynamic assignment of IP option

3) SET: Your router address as the gateway address and nameservice
entries as your DNS (if your connected to the net)

Jim

http://www.oats.com
http://www.cbotton.com

1. Windows 95 and SCO OSR 5 PPP

What is happening?  I have used Windows '95 dial-up networking to
connect to SCO's PPP.

       **chris

D. Chris Daniels                        SCO ACE

DLP Technologies, Inc.                  http://www.dlpco.com

2. POP3 server and linux

3. Win95 PPP client script help needed --> SCO-5 dynamic inbound PPP

4. Audiotrixpro and Linux support

5. SCO Unixware vs. SCO OSR?

6. X.25 Gateway

7. PPP - SCO WIN95 auto login

8. Request for Opinions (Sun SA-390)

9. SCO Unixware PPP server - Win95 Client?

10. SCO 3.2v4.2 PPP config for Win95 clients

11. Win95 PPP -> SCO OS5.0.2

12. Win95 PPP to Sco 5.04

13. Win95 dialin PPP to SCO troubles