NTP.CONF for xntpd

Post by Steven E. Frazie » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for an example and a site that can provide time for use with
xntpd.  If you have a ntp.conf working could you email it too me, please.
I have read the man page, but I still don't understand what is needed and
I am not sure who can provide a timer server me us.

Thanks.

Steve

NTP.CONF for xntpd

Post by David Woolle » Sun, 11 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for an example and a site that can provide time for use with
>xntpd.  If you have a ntp.conf working could you email it too me, please.

Example for my ISP (this is synthesized - the SCO system actually has
only been used across the LAN and free running (to trim the clock)).
You will almost certainly find that the round trip time to these servers is
excessive.

server 158.152.1.65
server 158.152.1.69
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

/etc/ntp.drift should exist and contain 0.000.

Quote:>I have read the man page, but I still don't understand what is needed and

The man pages fail to say that you must apply a kernel patch.  Bela posted
details for both 3.2v4.2 and SCO 5 about two months ago.  Use "fight" in the
subject and this newsgroup to find it on dejanews.  The patch can be applied
in source form to SCO 5, but needs to be applied with /etc/_fst (= adb)
to SCO 3.  If you have difficulties, I can dig it out from may mail archive.

(If you don't apply the patch, the time will wander around the true time,
and exceed the maximum error and be forced to abrubtly step back to the
correct time, possibly moving backwards, rather than being gradually
corrected and never going backwards.)

Quote:>I am not sure who can provide a timer server me us.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html
--

NTP.CONF for xntpd

Post by Dan Anders » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>The man pages fail to say that you must apply a kernel patch.  Bela posted
>details for both 3.2v4.2 and SCO 5 about two months ago.  Use "fight" in the
>subject and this newsgroup to find it on dejanews.  The patch can be applied
>in source form to SCO 5, but needs to be applied with /etc/_fst (= adb)
>to SCO 3.  If you have difficulties, I can dig it out from may mail archive.
>(If you don't apply the patch, the time will wander around the true time,
>and exceed the maximum error and be forced to abrubtly step back to the
>correct time, possibly moving backwards, rather than being gradually
>corrected and never going backwards.)

Here's the referenced article:

Subject:      Re: Does SCO 3.2v4.2 fight NTP for control of clock?

Date:         1996/05/31

. . .
Newsgroups:   comp.unix.sco.misc

. . .
rate, then settles to the drift rate of the CMOS clock.

Correct.  The kernel's once-a-second processing checks the RTC and
attempts to synchronize system time to it by stretching or shrinking
the number of ticks in a second (by no more than one extra-or-missing
tick/sec).

Under OpenServer Release 5, this is controlled by a set of variables
in
/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/space.c.  The main variable is "track_rtc",
set it to 0 to disable this behavior.

There is no user control under ODT 3.0.  However, it is trivial to
patch the kernel to disable the behavior.  Put a 0xc3 byte ("RET") at
the beginning of function check_rtc():

  # echo 'check_rtc?h c3' | _fst -w /unix -

You can apply the same patch to clock.o (in
/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/os.a)
once you are satisfied that it works.

Take notes so that 1) you'll know what you did so you can repeat it
and 2) when seeking support, you can tell the support person what
you've
done, and can undo it if necessary.

Quote:>Bela<

1. ntp.conf ntp config file setup

I want to sync my server to time standards. I'm looking for a general
ntp.conf file example that I can drop into my system and get it to work.
I'm not looking for anything fancy here. I just want it to be close and
not have to fool with it.

Does anyone have a sample you can post?

--
Supreme Commander * Nerd Liberation Movement
"We're coming out of the back room!"

http://www.perkel.com
http://www.ctyme.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Monitoring ethernet loads

3. DHCP writing ntp.conf and yp.conf

4. Linux Fax Server...

5. xntpd/ntpdate -m -w and ntp v4.099

6. tcpdump. Where to get it?

7. Help w/NTP (xntpd)

8. Weekly SunFlash August 21st, 1995

9. NTP xntpd With Windows NT

10. NTP Broadcast Server (xntpd)

11. xntpd (FreeBSD 2.2.6) + xntpd (SPARC Solaris 2.6)

12. XNTPD questions. How often does xntpd synchronize.

13. Sample simple ntp.conf configuration