Can't Login via Modem Since 5.04C

Post by Marshall Hollister-Jone » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

I installed the 5.04C Supplement on our 5.04 machine (Acer Altos 300)
hoping to get faster logins speeds over the modem. (Motorola Lifestyle
28.8). However I couldn't seem to get the serial manager to increase the
port speed of tty2A over 38,400 so switched the modem to tty1A and
installed with the modem manager, running at 57600. Dial-out works fine.
When I dial in sometimes I get a login prompt and sometimes I get a connect
message and then a string of garbage, with no login prompt. It looks as
though uugetty is starting. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the
incoming modem line is monitored, and uugetty will start if a uucp
connected is apparent on the incoming line. How do I disable this?

Devices:
ACU tty1A - 57600 Motorola_Lifestyle_288
Direct tty1a - 57600 direct

Inittab:
Se1A:234:respawn:/etc/getty -t60 tty1A p

1. Login won't work via modem after crash

After a crash, login via my modem on ttyS1 won't work. I get the login:
prompt, but after entering my user name I never get the Password: prompt.

If I do a ps I can see that login has a ? for it's tty. So, it looks like
login is not getting the tty from getty.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

-Howard Pfeffer-

2. I need 2 files from the Debian Distribution

3. Still can't login via modem to SLS 1.03

4. RedHat Alpha on CD, April 1998

5. Can't login via xdm, but can via telnet/console

6. Changing password programmatically

7. 'Connect' via SLIP but no login prompt ?

8. newbie Upgrade a 3.0 RELEASE to LAST RELEASE

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. My solution to the 'link via null modem(laplink) cable' problem

11. TimeWarner RoadRunner Cable Modem Login via Solaris 7

12. Console logins via modem