looking for backup script

Post by Thomas Stranzinge » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I've got some experience in Unix but not especially with SCO. Recently I
visited the company where my girlfriend works and took a look at their
backup procedure.

Backup is done there by 'tar -cv8 /' to a DAT Tape.

Now I'm looking (not for my personal profit) for a backup-method which:
- performs an full image backup (including all files you need for fast
recovery after a disk crash)
- performs a verify after backing up
- allows to restore files selectively
- does some logging during backup for checking if backup was done
successfully
- is save enough to run it as cron job

The computer to be backuped is a single PC running SCO Server. No
network dependencies have to be considered.

because I am going on vacation and within the newsgroup the message will
be out of date until I am back (on Aug, 14).

Thanks a lot.

Thomas Stranzinger

looking for backup script

Post by S Matze » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I've got some experience in Unix but not especially with SCO. Recently I
> visited the company where my girlfriend works and took a look at their
> backup procedure.

> Backup is done there by 'tar -cv8 /' to a DAT Tape.

> Now I'm looking (not for my personal profit) for a backup-method which:
> - performs an full image backup (including all files you need for fast
> recovery after a disk crash)
> - performs a verify after backing up
> - allows to restore files selectively
> - does some logging during backup for checking if backup was done
> successfully
> - is save enough to run it as cron job

> The computer to be backuped is a single PC running SCO Server. No
> network dependencies have to be considered.

> because I am going on vacation and within the newsgroup the message will
> be out of date until I am back (on Aug, 14).

> Thanks a lot.

> Thomas Stranzinger

First of all, you don't want to do an image backup.

Other than that, you can use the following cpio script that works well
out of cron.

cd /
find . >/tmp/backup.files
cpio -ocvO/dev/rStp0 -C10240 </tmp/backup.files 2>/tmp/backup.log
if [ $? = 0 ]
then
        date >/tmp/last.backup
        echo 'last backup completed'
        date
        tape unload /dev/rStp0
fi

Another option is to purchase one of the commercially available backup
utilities like "bru" or "lonetar".

1. Help - Looking For Backup Scripts - Backup 1.0 Problems

I have backup-1.0 from sunsite.  But it never completes from CROND.
Always hangs.  Can anyone suggest decent backup procedures for
a dat drive?

Thanks

--

New Jersey Computer Connection - Public Access Unix Site - pluto.njcc.com
Voice: 609-896-2799 - Fax: 609-896-2994 - Dialups: 609-896-3191

2. Great Help Page for Newbies and Power Users

3. Looking for a good Automated backup script

4. Have Epson, how attach

5. Looking for a nice and easy Backup Script!

6. ntfs

7. Looking for shell script for backup on BSD 4.3

8. PROJECT: NetAccess PRI card driver

9. Looking for CD backup script

10. Looking for backup utility/script

11. Solstice Backup (4.2.x): to run a script before/after backup

12. afio backup scripts incremental backup problem

13. A backup script and backup strategies for linux/Unix