Evaluation license --> real license on OSR 5.05 ??

Evaluation license --> real license on OSR 5.05 ??

Post by Phil » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 22:15:30

Hi,

Our OSR 5.0.5 SCO system has been installed with an 60 day evaluation
license.

Now we have a real license. How can it be used without re-installing all the
system ?.

Thank you.

Post by Brian K. Whit » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:04:06

> Hi,

> Our OSR 5.0.5 SCO system has been installed with an 60 day evaluation
> license.

> Now we have a real license. How can it be used without re-installing all the
> system ?.

> Thank you.

easy, type "scoadmin", choose "licence manager", use the tab and arrow keys
to select "SCO Open Server Enterprise System", then pull down the top-left
menu, and select "Licence Product". You might have to use "Remove Licence
for Product" first, I'm not sure about upgrading from the eval licence.

--
Brian K. White                   http://www.squonk.net/users/linut
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani

Evaluation license --> real license on OSR 5.05 ??

Post by chri » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:31:01

hi
try scoadmin-> licencemanager
remove evaluation and add new full licence
chris

Post by Roberto Zin » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:01:07

> Hi,

> Our OSR 5.0.5 SCO system has been installed with an 60 day evaluation
> license.

> Now we have a real license. How can it be used without re-installing all the
> system ?.

> Thank you.

You're given some good advices to which I'd like to add
the following: be careful about the license you're
going to enter. The removal of the evaluation license
only works if you're going to insert the same "kind"
of license; eg, the evaluation license actually is
an Enterprise license. If you remove it via the
License Manager and replace it with a "full"
Enterprise one (ie, a "full" license, not an
"upgrade" one) everything should go smoothly;
if you replace it with a Host or Desktop
one, than you're going to face a major headache :-)

Hope this helps !

Best,
Roberto

Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Sistemi EDP Reggio Emilia(ITALY)
"Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"
        (Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

Post by Stuart J. Brown » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:33:36

> > Hi,

> > Our OSR 5.0.5 SCO system has been installed with an 60 day evaluation
> > license.

> > Now we have a real license. How can it be used without re-installing all
the
> > system ?.

> > Thank you.

> You're given some good advices to which I'd like to add
> the following: be careful about the license you're
> going to enter. The removal of the evaluation license
> only works if you're going to insert the same "kind"
> of license; eg, the evaluation license actually is
> an Enterprise license. If you remove it via the
> License Manager and replace it with a "full"
> Enterprise one (ie, a "full" license, not an
> "upgrade" one) everything should go smoothly;
> if you replace it with a Host or Desktop
> one, than you're going to face a major headache :-)

> Hope this helps !

> Best,
> Roberto

I'd just like to add one other thing to this.  Make sure you do it from the
CONSOLE!  Learnt that the hard way didn't I?  Removed the license from the
X-Win license manager from my remote terminal, then went "Uh oh" as the
entire thing stopped dead.  Go unlicensing the TCP stack :)

bkx

Post by Lucky Leavel » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 10:34:22

> You're given some good advices to which I'd like to add
> the following: be careful about the license you're
> going to enter. The removal of the evaluation license
> only works if you're going to insert the same "kind"
> of license; eg, the evaluation license actually is
> an Enterprise license. If you remove it via the
> License Manager and replace it with a "full"
> Enterprise one (ie, a "full" license, not an
> "upgrade" one) everything should go smoothly;
> if you replace it with a Host or Desktop
> one, than you're going to face a major headache :-)

Hmmmm! I had a customer call today with a very similar question, except
the are upgrading.  They ordered the OSR5.0.2 to OSR5.0.5 Upgrade License
in July.  The upgrade license (SCO SKU LX261-UX10-5.0) is the one the
price list indicates for an older OSR5.0.x to 5.0.5 though the license
says it is from 3.0/4.2.  Anyway, they tried the upgrade using a fresh
install on new hardware and the install would not accept the License
Number/Activation Key from the upgrade license so they used the eval keys.

Questions:

        1. Which set of keys should they use: the original OSR5.0.2 keys
           or the Upgrade keys?  (It wasn't THAT long ago when all we had
           were the "old" keys.)

        2. (This thread already answered this one: remove the eval license
           and install the "real" one.)

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393 (US/Canada)
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO       OR: (812) 366-4066
1560 Zoar Church Road NE             FAX: (812) 366-3618

WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com

Evaluation license --> real license on OSR 5.05 ??

Post by Tom Parson » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:08:40

Lucky Leavell enscribed:

| > You're given some good advices to which I'd like to add
| > the following: be careful about the license you're
| > going to enter. The removal of the evaluation license
| > only works if you're going to insert the same "kind"
| > of license; eg, the evaluation license actually is
| > an Enterprise license. If you remove it via the
| > License Manager and replace it with a "full"
| > Enterprise one (ie, a "full" license, not an
| > "upgrade" one) everything should go smoothly;
| > if you replace it with a Host or Desktop
| > one, than you're going to face a major headache :-)
| >
| Hmmmm! I had a customer call today with a very similar question, except
| the are upgrading.  They ordered the OSR5.0.2 to OSR5.0.5 Upgrade License
| in July.  The upgrade license (SCO SKU LX261-UX10-5.0) is the one the
| price list indicates for an older OSR5.0.x to 5.0.5 though the license
| says it is from 3.0/4.2.  Anyway, they tried the upgrade using a fresh
| install on new hardware and the install would not accept the License
| Number/Activation Key from the upgrade license so they used the eval keys.
|
| Questions:
|
|       1. Which set of keys should they use: the original OSR5.0.2 keys
|          or the Upgrade keys?  (It wasn't THAT long ago when all we had
|          were the "old" keys.)
|
|       2. (This thread already answered this one: remove the eval license
|          and install the "real" one.)

By now, any informed reseller should have known that upgrade licenses
from pre-OpenServer products to 5.0.0/.2/.4 had to be exchanged for
a different set of numbers to work properly with 5.0.5.  The clue is
that if the license is a multiple of 16, then it was an upgrade from
a pre-OpenServer product.

Post by Lucky Leavel » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:18:36

> Lucky Leavell enscribed:
> | >
> | Hmmmm! I had a customer call today with a very similar question, except
> | the are upgrading.  They ordered the OSR5.0.2 to OSR5.0.5 Upgrade License
> | in July.  The upgrade license (SCO SKU LX261-UX10-5.0) is the one the
> | price list indicates for an older OSR5.0.x to 5.0.5 though the license
> | says it is from 3.0/4.2.  Anyway, they tried the upgrade using a fresh
> | install on new hardware and the install would not accept the License
> | Number/Activation Key from the upgrade license so they used the eval keys.
> |
> | Questions:
> |
> |  1. Which set of keys should they use: the original OSR5.0.2 keys
> |     or the Upgrade keys?  (It wasn't THAT long ago when all we had
> |     were the "old" keys.)
> |
> |  2. (This thread already answered this one: remove the eval license
> |     and install the "real" one.)

> By now, any informed reseller should have known that upgrade licenses
> from pre-OpenServer products to 5.0.0/.2/.4 had to be exchanged for
> a different set of numbers to work properly with 5.0.5.  The clue is
> that if the license is a multiple of 16, then it was an upgrade from
> a pre-OpenServer product.

As a matter of fact, the 5.0.2 was not an upgrade from an earlier version
... only the upgrade license describes it as an upgrade from 3.0/4.2 ...
The 5.0.2 system was licensed for 505 users (5 user base + 500 user
license); they chose to upgrade to 105 user 5.0.5.

Thank you,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                      Phone: (800) 481-2393 (US/Canada)
UniXpress - Your Source for SCO       OR: (812) 366-4066
1560 Zoar Church Road NE             FAX: (812) 366-3618

WWW Home Page:  http://www.UniXpress.com

1. Software Licenses as Book Licenses

Microsoft:

You may read the book, but you may not copy it.  You can sell or give it to
anyone you like if you bought the book individually.  If you bought the book
in a bundle, you may only give or sell it with all items in that bundle.  The
book may or may not contain useful information, but it sure has pretty
pictures.  Oh, and don't sue us.

BSD:

You may do anything you like with the book including copy it, sell it, give it
away, even rewrite it or change it's name so long as you keep the original
authors copyright intact.  Oh, and don't sue us.

GPL:

You may read the book, copy the book or sell the book, but you may not
restrict anyone you sell or give copies to from doing the same.  If you so
much as quote a single word from the book, you must allow anyone to copy the
entire publication or any publications which quotes from your publication,
regardless of whether they copy the quote or not.  Oh, and don't sue us.

2. Compiling and get /usr/i486-linux not found?

3. New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

4. rpm

5. WTB DU License: Is DU license transferrable?

6. tom's boot disk

7. SCO OSR 5.0.2 - X11 License Manager problem (Part 2)

8. Handling both 32bit and 64bit versions of libraries

9. a full 30-day evaluation license.

10. Evaluation License

11. Change licensing OSR 5.0.6

12. OSR-5 license manager y2k vs BIOS boot date

13. MS Licensing, the real danger