Version Numbers ????

Post by Tom Parson » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

| Hello
|
| I have a few SCO OS5.x.x boxes and am confused by the version
| numbering system.  From uname -X I get
|
| Release = 3.2v5.0.4
|
| I have some software which requires SCO UNIX version 3.2.4
| this simply means SCO OS4.x.x.

What use is software that requires a non-existent product for operation??

There is/was no 3.2.4, nor was there a OS4.x.x.

Choices (starting with SCO Unix 3.2v4.0) as returned by uname -X are:
  3.2v4.0
  3.2v4.1
  3.2v4.2
  3.2v5.0.0
  3.2v5.0.2
  3.2v5.0.4

Within each of those release numbers, there are other possbile identifiers,
Enterprise/Host/Internet Fast Start/Open Server Enterprise to name a few.

First you must determine the correct release, then the product within that
release.

Version Numbers ????

Post by Bela Lubki » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have a few SCO OS5.x.x boxes and am confused by the version
> numbering system.  From uname -X I get

> Release = 3.2v5.0.4

That's OpenServer Release 5.0.4; 3.2v5.0.4 is the release of the
underlying Unix kernel portion of the operating systme.

Quote:> I have some software which requires SCO UNIX version 3.2.4
> this simply means SCO OS4.x.x.

> Is this correct

Well, it's hard to say what it means.  There never was a version called
"3.2.4".  There were versions called "3.2v4.0", "3.2v4.1" and "3.2v4.2".
Your vendor may be referring to any or all of those versions.  They may
also mean "3.2v4.0 or later".

Do you have an opportunity to try it, or are you researching before
buying the package?  What package?  If you *have* tried and it failed,
how did it fail?  Newer releases are generally upwards compatible (they
run old stuff).

Quote:>Bela<

--
Sandy and Bela Lubkin are traveling around the world for a year!  Now posting
from Watford UK; touring UK next.        +Please do not Cc: me on news posts!

1. Changing RCS version numbers

Hi

    I am interested in modifying a set of RCS file version numbers.  I RTFM &
    looked at the FAQ list but didn't see any discussion on my problem.  This
    seems like a basic function that should be in RCS so I'm sure someone
    has done it.

    The essence of my problem is that I have a set of RCS files numbered 1.1
    to 1.x and I want to renumber all versions to 0.1.1 to 0.1.x.  This appears
    to be very difficult to accomplish short of writing a tool to manipulate
    the RCS files themselves.

    Does anyone have a program to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
--

Kenneth L. Nelson

2. Printing graphics with Lexmark 1020 (business edition)

3. Libraries without version numbers

4. XVScan experiences?

5. "uname -a" gives wrong version number

6. Help! : no route to host problem

7. Need version number of Linux

8. Port 'authd' to System V

9. Patch-1.3.90 didn't cgange internal version number

10. version numbering

11. dynamic shared object version numbers

12. Does anyone know a command to return the Solaris version number?

13. Setting Kernel Version Number