migrating from Xenix to Open Server or Unixware

migrating from Xenix to Open Server or Unixware

Post by David & Mar » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Help!  I'm tasked with replacing an Altos 386 Unix/Xenix system.   I've
successfully ported the applications to SCO Xenix 2.3.4 but have realized
that using this o/s now is difficult decision because of it's lack of
support for newer technologies and that it's been discontinued.  I've tried
SCO Open Server version 2.0 and 5.0 and UnixWare 1.1 and the applications
"core dump" when executed.  I've narrowed the problem down to when the
program tries to open an ISAM index file.  The programs are written in
Microsoft BASIC for Xenix using the built in ISAM.
Does anybody have any suggestions about how I should proceed?  Is there any
utility that can be used to convert the ISAM library from Xenix to Unix?
Perhaps some sort of compatibility patch or enhancement for Open Server or
UnixWare?

I appreciate any help you may provide.

-David

Post by rolle » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Help!  I'm tasked with replacing an Altos 386 Unix/Xenix system.   I've
> successfully ported the applications to SCO Xenix 2.3.4 but have realized
> that using this o/s now is difficult decision because of it's lack of
> support for newer technologies and that it's been discontinued.  I've tried
> SCO Open Server version 2.0 and 5.0 and UnixWare 1.1 and the applications
> "core dump" when executed.  I've narrowed the problem down to when the
> program tries to open an ISAM index file.  The programs are written in
> Microsoft BASIC for Xenix using the built in ISAM.
> Does anybody have any suggestions about how I should proceed?  Is there any
> utility that can be used to convert the ISAM library from Xenix to Unix?
> Perhaps some sort of compatibility patch or enhancement for Open Server or
> UnixWare?
> I appreciate any help you may provide.
> -David

The manufacturer of the software you are running should be able to either
provide you with the utility [it is probably already on your system in the
software proprietary files] or they can dial in and run the conversion for
you.  ISAM files in and of themselves will run on Openserver.  I had the exact
situation.  I literally took the program files from my Xenix machine, and
restored them from the backup tape created on the Xenix machine to the new
Openserver machine.  The programs then ran fine, and still do.  The only time I
had to actually run the ISAM files conversion utility was when I changed from
an old SOFTBOL runtime system to DBL runtime system.  Then, they run utilities
called DUMPISM and LOADISM to convert the files.  Bottom line, contact the
software vendor and they should be able to lead you in the right direction.
--Keith

1. Migrating Xenix to new server

On Thu, 06 Aug 1998 03:07:49 GMT, in article

Don't you have the original diskettes?

What does backup/restore have to do with installing serial cards?

                  How you look depends on where you go.
Gary L. Burnore                       |  Y?3oY3T3oY33Y?oY3T3oY3Y3T3oY3YY?3
                                      |  Y?3oY3T3oY33Y?oY3T3oY3Y3T3oY3YY?3
DOH!                                  |  Y?3oY3T3oY33Y?oY3T3oY3Y3T3oY3YY?3
                                      |  Y?3 3 4 1 4 2  Y3T3 6 9 0 6 9 Y?3
spamgard(tm):  zamboni                |     Official Proof of Purchase

2. Multiple Network card PLEASE HELP URGENT

3. Need help migrating linux code to SCO Open server

4. Anyone with running X on Permedia2?

5. Xenix to Open Server File Transfer

6. Help on X-Windows(mostly)

7. XENIX binaries under Open Server 5.0 ???

8. Rebrading SCO 5.0.2 -> uname problem

9. How can I put a xenix hard disk on a Open Server 5 system?

10. Upgrading from Xenix compiler to SCO Open Server Enterprise

11. Free SCO open server and soon Unixware to .edu!!

12. SCO Open Server, UnixWare or Linux

13. SCO Open Server Vs Unixware