Dual Boot of Unixware 7.0 and NT - How without commercial boot manager?

Dual Boot of Unixware 7.0 and NT - How without commercial boot manager?

Post by G.S. McKenzi » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Can someone please inform me how one dual boots on one ide disk both
NT and SCO Unixware 7.0
without a commercial boot manager such as System Commander?
Thanx
GSM

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Can someone please inform me how one dual boots on one ide disk both
>NT and SCO Unixware 7.0
>without a commercial boot manager such as System Commander?
>Any information would be greatly appreciated.

        Here's how I do it...

        Install NT. Install UnixWare. Using a boot floppy, run OS-BS
( freely available from www.freebird.org as osbs20b8). Choose to "set startup
id"; this will reset your Active partition on the fly. Reboot.

1. dual booting NT and linux without windows boot loaders

Greetings.  I have searched the web, many linux documentation sites,
usenet groups, and several HOWTOs and I have yet to find an answer for
this.  Every mention to how boot loaders are configured to boot both NT
and linux use the NT boot loader as the primary loader, in the MBR, and
call LILO or similar as a chain loader.

My problem stems from the fact that NT 4.0 workstation failed to provide
me with a boot loader even after several different installations.  During
it's install sequence after formatting the partition and installing a
series of programs in C:\ and C:\Winnt\, it asks that I reboot without any
disk in the floppy drive or CDROM drive, inferring that the MBR is set and
it will boot NT for further installation procedures.  Each time I reboot,
I find whatever boot loader I last had in the MBR to be completely left as
it was.  This was even the case for an empty MBR.

What I am interested in is finding either information on how to have LILO
boot the NT partition, or find an alternative to LILO that can accomplish
this.

Let me know if you know of a fix to this.  Thx.

Jeff D'Angelo
Penn State Computer Engineering Undergrad

2. APACHE 0.8.10 Scripte Alias (feature???) :-)

3. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

4. Smatch checker / bug database

5. Apology for duplicate post

6. NT/LIINUX dual boot problem: NT boot failed

7. SuSe 7.0 Cannot access network

8. UnixWare 2.1/NT dual boot

9. Large HD+old BIOS+boot manager+need dual boot =???????

10. Dual Booting windows 98 and Mandrake 8 using a Boot manager

11. Booting without boot manager?

12. Large HD+ old BIOS+ +boot manager + need dual boot =???????