SCSI Adapter & Free SCO question

Post by Jim St.Cy » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

All-

I am thinking about buying a SCSI adapter sold by Corporate Systems.  They assure me that it plays
well with UNIX.  When pressed, they said that the card is built on the NCR-825 chipset.

Will SCO work o.k. with this card and if so, what needs to be done during the install?

Thanks.

Jim St.Cyr

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I am thinking about buying a SCSI adapter sold by Corporate Systems.  They assure me that it plays
> well with UNIX.  When pressed, they said that the card is built on the NCR-825 chipset.

> Will SCO work o.k. with this card and if so, what needs to be done during the install?

[Could you limit your posting window to 80 columns?]

The SCO driver for Symbios Logic 53c8xx chipsets is "slha".  It isn't in
the default install kernel, so you will have to use the provided BTLD
floppy.

The driver hasn't specifically been tested by SCO with that card, so
technically I guess I would say it isn't supported.  It should work, but
if you have problems, you may need CSC's help to resolve them.

Quote:>Bela<

Post by Matt Behre » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: > I am thinking about buying a SCSI adapter sold by Corporate Systems.  They assure me that it plays
: > well with UNIX.  When pressed, they said that the card is built on the NCR-825 chipset.
: >
: > Will SCO work o.k. with this card and if so, what needs to be done during the install?

: [Could you limit your posting window to 80 columns?]

: The SCO driver for Symbios Logic 53c8xx chipsets is "slha".  It isn't in
: the default install kernel, so you will have to use the provided BTLD
: floppy.

: The driver hasn't specifically been tested by SCO with that card, so
: technically I guess I would say it isn't supported.  It should work, but
: if you have problems, you may need CSC's help to resolve them.

: >Bela<

The 825 chip is a very standard and very good chip.  I've used it
with both Linux and FreeBSD with no problems, I'm sure SCO
will work with it just fine as well.

--
Matt "Zigg" Behrens            | IMPORTANT NOTICE!  Unsolicited commercial

http://www2.gvsu.edu/~behrensm | imply consent by sending your advertisment.

1. Installation of Free SCO using a Trantor SCSI Adapter (old ProAudio Spectrum 16)

Can anyone suggest how to get my CD Reader recognized?
I am attempting to install FREE SCO Unix with a SCSI CD.  It's an NEC
Multispin 3x Plus connected to the old Fusion 16CD sound card with its
on board Trantor SCSI adapter.

I have attempted to give a boot string:

defbootstr adapter=spad(0x201,12,0)

201 is the adapters hex address (at least according to Windows 95 system
information).

SCO Unix doesn't like that.  It issues a warning and fails to recognize
the device.

As I don't have any installation floppies, the CD is my only avenue for
proceeding.

Any direction to go would be appreciated.  I have LOOKED around for
help.  It seems quite sparse for problems occuring before OS.

THANKS

J. C. Eggert

2. Need Bash Guru to add feature

3. SCO OpenServer Free CD - How do I use Loadable Drivers for NCR SCSI adaptor

4. Powerpoint viewer?

5. Tyan NCR SCSI Controller & Free SCO Install

6. cat /dev/null problem

7. Free-SCO Install (adapter no detect)

8. NIS problems between HPUX 10.20 and FreeBSD 3.0

9. Free SCO network driver for NE/2-32 MCA network adapter

10. &&&&& WHERE TO GET FREE SOLARIS FOR X86

11. SCSI fast & SCSI std. problem under SCO unix

12. Sco OS5 & Pent.133 & Tekram Scsi DC390

13. SCSI: Does one need a special SCSI LVD adapter, over and above a SCSI card?