Netwrok Printers

Post by Warp » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

I have set up a network printer on my SCO OpenServer 5.04 system on lp0.  It
is a HP400.  When I performed a test print from my Win95 machine, it took 5
mins for it to start printing.

My questions is, Is this normal?  I mean, I have done network printing
before between WinNT machines, and it happens after the page has been
spooled.

Any information is appreciated with this curious problem.

BTW I hope this is enough information.

TIA

Wayne

------
http://www.powerup.com.au/~wjackson    <<<<<  Looking for a home, getting
too big too quick.
SCO OpenServer FAQ
X Terminals
CHAR Terminals

Netwrok Printers

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have set up a network printer on my SCO OpenServer 5.04 system on lp0.  It
>is a HP400.  When I performed a test print from my Win95 machine, it took 5
>mins for it to start printing.

It's an HP4000.  Since you say it's a "network printer", I'll
assume that you have it plugged into the parallel port on your
computer and that you have used the "Hp Network Managerie" (HPNP)
to configure it as a print server.

Quote:>My questions is, Is this normal?  I mean, I have done network printing
>before between WinNT machines, and it happens after the page has been
>spooled.

Nope.  5 minute print jobs of simple files are not normal.  5
minute print jobs of files that require heavy processing on the
Windoze 95 box are typical.  Which are you doing?

Also, the print job will not begin printing until the Windoze 95
application has finished processing.

Quote:>Any information is appreciated with this curious problem.
>BTW I hope this is enough information.

It's not.  I can't tell if it's the Windoze 95 machine or the
OSR5 print spooler.  Let's see if we can assign the blame in an
organized manner.

1.  Is the parallel port configured in the BISO for anything
other than a "normal" parallel port?  SCO Unix does not support
EPP, bi-directional or ECP parallel features.

2.  Does this box have two parallel ports?  If so, they cannot
both share IRQ=7.  One must be on IRQ=5.

3.  How does it print locally on the OSR5 box?  Try printing
something simple (text file) with:
        lp -d printername filename
Does it go quickly or take another 5 minutes?  You can determine
print status with:
        rlpstat printername

4.  Are there any more workstations available that can be used
for testing?  Try lpr printing from one of them.  Does it do the
same thing?  If so, then it's the OSR5 box.  If not, then fix the
Windoze 95 machine.

Suggestion:  Upgrade to the HP4000N (network) with the built in
JetDirect card.  Windoze can access it directly with either
tcp/ip or ipx/spx (You need ipx/spx to run JetAdmin from Windoze
95).  The versatility of having a printer that can be easily
moved to anywhere on the network and will print from anything is
quite handy.

In SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 the parallel port was a major cpu cycle hog.
If I sent a monster file to a parallel port connected printer, it
would slow the system down to a crawl for the duration.  I
haven't check if this is still the case in OSR5 because not one
of my current customers (or my office) have parallel printers
connected to the server.  I use stand alone print servers or
built in JetDirect cards exclusively.

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(408)699-0483 pgr (408)426-1240 fax (408)336-2558 home

Netwrok Printers

Post by Warp » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>I have set up a network printer on my SCO OpenServer 5.04 system on lp0.
It
>>is a HP400.  When I performed a test print from my Win95 machine, it took
5
>>mins for it to start printing.

>It's an HP4000.  Since you say it's a "network printer", I'll
>assume that you have it plugged into the parallel port on your
>computer and that you have used the "Hp Network Managerie" (HPNP)
>to configure it as a print server.

No it is a HP400.  Plugged into LPT0(1) on the SCO system.  I am trying to
print from Crash95 to SCO OSR504.

I have simply shared it under the Printer Manager.  I have had trouble with
this before on a Linux machine.

The kernel has it set up as lp0, but that does not work.  I have tried it on
lp1 and so on, but that has not helped.

I have even used the courseware from the admin course to help set it up,
done it as per the instructions, but it fails all the time.

Wayne

Netwrok Printers

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Warp bruited (on 25May):
| >>I have set up a network printer on my SCO OpenServer 5.04 system on lp0.
| It
| >>is a HP400.  When I performed a test print from my Win95 machine, it took
| 5
| >>mins for it to start printing.
| >
| >It's an HP4000.  Since you say it's a "network printer", I'll
| >assume that you have it plugged into the parallel port on your
| >computer and that you have used the "Hp Network Managerie" (HPNP)
| >to configure it as a print server.
|

| No it is a HP400.  Plugged into LPT0(1) on the SCO system.  I am trying to
| print from Crash95 to SCO OSR504.
|
| I have simply shared it under the Printer Manager.  I have had trouble with
| this before on a Linux machine.
|
| The kernel has it set up as lp0, but that does not work.  I have tried it on
| lp1 and so on, but that has not helped.
|
| I have even used the courseware from the admin course to help set it up,
| done it as per the instructions, but it fails all the time.

Sounds like one of those Windows-only models, where the brains are in
files on the computer, and not in the printer.  If that's the case,
it will never work with any variant of Unix.

--

Netwrok Printers

Post by Frederico Fonse » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>|
>| No it is a HP400.  Plugged into LPT0(1) on the SCO system.  I am trying to
>| print from Crash95 to SCO OSR504.
>|

>| The kernel has it set up as lp0, but that does not work.  I have tried it on
>| lp1 and so on, but that has not helped.
>|

>Sounds like one of those Windows-only models, where the brains are in
>files on the computer, and not in the printer.  If that's the case,
>it will never work with any variant of Unix.

It is a regular deskjet printer. works in Unix and MS-DOS.
It should work well connected to lp0 (parallel port-irq 7 address
378-37b).
Trie to connect another printer(a oki 320/520 or something like this)
to this port. If it works well then you have a problem with
that printer.

How is the printer set up in the Unix machine
How is the printer set up in the Windows machine

You said it prints slow. Does it print well??.

In the Windows machine print to a file. Then copy the file
to the Unix machine and copy it to "/dev/???". Is it fast or slow.

There are more things that you can do to test it.

Best regards

Frederico Fonseca

Netwrok Printers

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>No it is a HP400.  Plugged into LPT0(1) on the SCO system.  I am trying to
>print from Crash95 to SCO OSR504.

>I have simply shared it under the Printer Manager.  I have had trouble with
>this before on a Linux machine.

>The kernel has it set up as lp0, but that does not work.  I have tried it on
>lp1 and so on, but that has not helped.

>I have even used the courseware from the admin course to help set it up,
>done it as per the instructions, but it fails all the time.

Sorry for the bad guess.  I've been installing HP4000NP printers
and want one for myself.  I've never heard of the HP400L.  Sorry.
http://www.interactive.hp.com/pandi-db/dds_data_sheet.show?p_model_no...
Looks like it talks PCL3 so you should be able to set it up with
the OSR5 HPLaserJet print driver.

However, everything I mentioned also applies to the HP400 or any
other parallel port connected printer.  Your parallel port
printer MUST be able to print locally from the SCO Unix box
before continuing.  Does it?

You seem to be witholding a key piece of information that I
innumerated in my previous postings.  I asked 4ea questions and
offered various commands which should point to the source of the
problem.  Once the source is identified, then you can fix the
problem.  It's still not obvious if you're fighting a Windoze or
SCO Unix problem.  Your extremely vague description of how you
have the printer configured to the network seems to imply that
you're using SAMBA or VisionFS.  Are you?

Please re-read my previous posting and answer the questions.

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(408)699-0483 pgr (408)426-1240 fax (408)336-2558 home
http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl   WB6SSY

1. COnnecting to netwrok that uses Novell

Hello,

I am in need of some help.  I am teacher who is illegaly using Linux on a
school computer.  I wanted to connect to the school network so I could use
it for Internet access. My school server dynamically assigns an IP address.
How would I set up my comp so I could login to the network or connect to the
network.  The network is low security. YOu don;t even need to login to get
internet access. All you have to do is get connected. So if you computer
boots up and gets an IP address, you're connected to the internet.  Sounds
weird, but hey it's the US govenrment for you.  I have a laptop that is
using a PCMCIA NIC.  I guess a problem could also be is that my etho0 is not
being detected.  SO what would I have to do? I am a newbie to this stuff. SO
if any of you could point me into the right direction or givem e guidance,
it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Radley

2. sun with linux?

3. converting htond (host to netwrok double)

4. terminal-settings & ftp

5. writing netwrok device driver for solaris 8

6. Funny inetd problem (not mine)

7. symblic link across a netwrok?

8. pcmcia drivers

9. netwrok problem

10. Netwrok Cards

11. problems with two isa netwrok cards in netbsd 1.5

12. HOW DO I - Configure an Inkjet Printer as a Postscript Printer ?

13. printer: how to get a list of available printers