SCO 5.0.5 - Network Card not detected

Post by Alan Saunde » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Just installed SCO 5.0.5 (enterprise) on a new Compaq ProLiant 1600, 400Mhz,
64Mb, 2 x 4.3 RAID 1 disks. Install went fine except that it wont recognise
the Compaq Integrated 10/100 TX UTP Controller. Netconfig doesnt have this
card in its database so Im abit stuck.
According to the SCO 5.0.5 release
notes, if the system cant detect the network card, you change a BIOS setting
and set "plug & play operating system to: No" and then use network manager
to configure the card.

This may be all well and good but I cant find this
option.

And as far as I can tell the network card is ok (all the little
LED's are lit up correctly).

Only 6 weeks ago I installed 5.0.4 onto a
identical ProLiant 1600 and this worked fine, recognising the same type
network card straight away.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Al

   -**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

SCO 5.0.5 - Network Card not detected

Post by Alan Saunde » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Please ignore this post...  Once I realised that Compaq SmartStart hadnt
loaded EFS 5.21 (as it should have done)
which contained the NIC dirvers I
knew what to do. I just created the EFS 5.21 diskettes and loaded via
software mgr, rebooted and all is now fine. That will teach me to trust
SmartStart !!

Al

   -**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

1. help: not detecting network card, can't find 3c509b at boot time (not P&P )

Two more ideas to try:
(Remember: Working under DOS is no guarantee that no IRQ/port conflicts
exist.)
1) In the BIOS PCI setup disable the IRQ for all PCI slots except the one
with the adaptec SCSI controller (set IRQ to N/A). The graphics card
won't need an IRQ line afaik.

2) try a few more io ports, i.e: 300, 310, 320, 330, 340,...
2a) try the new 3com509 driver together with hardware configuration
utility running under Linux. See
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/
3) Remove CD-ROM and SoundBlaster and try again.

Nils

2. How risky is this? Horror Stories Solicited

3. 3C905 Network Card detected as a Vortex Network Card (3c59X series)

4. Solaris Java/C++ development environment recomendations

5. Not detecting 2nd and 3rd network card

6. What are the new COL groups?

7. Help: network card not detected

8. TX chipset and Redhat 4.2

9. Mandrake 7.2 does not detect NE2000 compatible network card

10. HELP: 3Com network card not detected

11. network card not detected - no dhcp

12. install did not detect network card

13. Network Card not detected at boot up