RCP,RLOGIN rmcd: socket: Permission denied

RCP,RLOGIN rmcd: socket: Permission denied

Post by Colin Slac » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have 2 machines running Unix 3.2v4.1 TCP/IP and NFS, as root I can
rcp, telnet, rlogin and rcmd from/to both machines. As a user I can
rcp,telnet,rlogin and rcmd from machine A to machine B but can only rcmd
and telnet from machine B to A, there are other Box's connected to the
network to which I can rcp to (DOS Machines) from machine A but not
machine B.
The .rhosts file on both A and are ok with -rw- on the owner only, the
hosts and the hosts.equiv are both ok. The error I get when I try an rcp
or rlogin is

rcmd: socket: Permission denied.

It must be a Permission problem on machine B, but for the life of me I
cannot locate.

Yours with baited .....

Colin

1. HELP: Problem with rlogin: rcmd: socket: Permission denied

Hi,
I am working with slackware 2.1 and having this problem for all
the users except root.  When the user tried to rlogin to some
machine, this is what the system tells him:
   rcmd: socket: Permission denied.

Everything is working for the root user though.

BTW: When I started xdm as root, regular users are able to login
but 'xterm' doesn't work.  This is what it said when user tried to
'xterm':
   Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
   xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0

Other utilites such as xclock, xcalc are working fine.

Please send your help to my email address:

Thanks in advance.
--- Gwobaw Wu

    3334 EECS
    Univ of Michigan
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109

2. Solaris CD:s....

3. rlogin gives rcmd: socket: Permission denied

4. From csh to bash

5. rlogin problem: rcmd: socket: Permission denied ???

6. how do we start AfterStep in Linux ?

7. rlogin says: socket: Permission denied

8. Serial/Parallel port connection

9. rlogin complains "rcmd: socket: Permission denied"

10. PROBLEM: rlogin error: "rcmd: socket: Permission denied"

11. rlogin failed "rcmd: socket Permission denied" ???

12. rcp permission denied message

13. RCP Error, permission denied?