SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

Post by David Dunster, Webmaste » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Thanks to Robert Zini for providing me the solution to
        this problem. He had keep notes from previous problems
        that solved mine.

        If you have a lockup on ftp transfer from a Unix box to
        a Win NT server or Win 95 client, check the STRMAXBLK
        setting in Unix. It may be set to high to function
        properly.

        Our setting was "524288" and when switched to "4096" FTP
        worked without any problems.

        Dave Dunster
        Systems Manager

--

        Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club
        http://www.regina.ism.ca/riders/index.htm

Post by Bela Lubki » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>    If you have a lockup on ftp transfer from a Unix box to
>    a Win NT server or Win 95 client, check the STRMAXBLK
>    setting in Unix. It may be set to high to function
>    properly.

>    Our setting was "524288" and when switched to "4096" FTP
>    worked without any problems.

This is an extremely simplistic rendition of a complex problem.

STRMAXBLK should be tuned down only if your network card driver has a
problem with it.  That should be true only if you are using an old ODT
3.0 LLI driver; and in fact, not even all LLI drivers have problems with
STRMAXBLK being larger than 4096.  If you're using an OSR5 MDI driver,
you should not reduce STRMAXLBK as you will be impairing the maximum
network performance of your system.  The presence of an old LLI driver
is the *only* reason I know of to reduce STRMAXBLK.

SCO Technical Article http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?640379
discusses a different problem with STRMAXBLK, and in passing, describes
the parameter in more detail.  Note that the problem discussed in
article 640379 is corrected by the Networking Supplement 1.0.0,
ftp://ftp.sco.com/Supplements/net100/.  net100 also corrects other
problems, some of which could have caused exactly the behavior you
describe.  So if you did not have net100 applied (and its prerequisite
rs500d and its successor oss449a), you should apply them, put STRMAXBLK
back to its original value, and see what happens.

Quote:>Bela<

1. Running OSE 5.0 and Windows 95 (How To Print To Local Win 95 Printer)

I am using a Windows 95 workstation to connect to SCO Unix OSE 5.0.0
server via TCP/IP and a telnet client (e.g. WinQVT/NET).  I have a local
printer connect to my parallel port.  Is there a way I can get my Unix
applications on the host to print to my local printer.

Howie

2. tar file from silicon graphics

3. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

4. FTP access to account but not all files? (*)

5. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

6. Does Denying pinging mess up other services?

7. Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

8. HP DirectJet Printing

9. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

10. Slackware, Win 95, Win NT

11. NFS server for win NT / win 95

12. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

13. Win 95+Win NT+Linux???