adding 2 serial ports...

Post by Rob W » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations for adding 2 serial ports (for 3
modems) to a server running Sco Openserver 5.0.5 on a Netfinity 3500 M20? I
want to buy a PCI serial card with 2 external ports and hopefully get Sco to
recognize it. I have one serial port being used for APC Powerchute. I don't
need the overkill in a external 4-port Digiboard nor want to spend alot of
money. Any recommendations on a serial port manufacturer that works with
Sco?
Thanks,
Rob

adding 2 serial ports...

Post by dip.. » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> Does anyone have any recommendations for adding 2 serial ports (for 3
> modems) to a server running Sco Openserver 5.0.5 on a Netfinity 3500
M20? I
> want to buy a PCI serial card with 2 external ports and hopefully get
Sco to
> recognize it. I have one serial port being used for APC Powerchute. I
don't
> need the overkill in a external 4-port Digiboard nor want to spend
alot of
> money. Any recommendations on a serial port manufacturer that works
with
> Sco?
> Thanks,
> Rob

Not trying to be snippy - but - have you tried looking on SCO's
website!!  Lots and lots of compatible hardware listed.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

adding 2 serial ports...

Post by Rob W » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Unfortunately yes, I did check the Sco site.  The bare minimum for a PCI
serial port is usually is 4 ports (2 more than I need) and greater than $300
(waste of money).  I can't use ISA cards in the Netfinity.  I don't want all
the overkill.  I want a simple 2 serial port PCI card that I could plug a
couple of modems in and not spend alot of money at the same time.  I see in
a Global computer catalog, a dual serial port PCI card for $49.95.  That's
what I want, but vendor is not listed and I don't know if it will work with
Sco.  Its sounds so simple yet I can't seem to find it.
Rob W.

> > Hi,
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for adding 2 serial ports (for 3
> > modems) to a server running Sco Openserver 5.0.5 on a Netfinity 3500
> M20? I
> > want to buy a PCI serial card with 2 external ports and hopefully get
> Sco to
> > recognize it. I have one serial port being used for APC Powerchute. I
> don't
> > need the overkill in a external 4-port Digiboard nor want to spend
> alot of
> > money. Any recommendations on a serial port manufacturer that works
> with
> > Sco?
> > Thanks,
> > Rob

> Not trying to be snippy - but - have you tried looking on SCO's
> website!!  Lots and lots of compatible hardware listed.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

adding 2 serial ports...

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:23:46 -0500, the entity known as "Rob W."

>>Unfortunately yes, I did check the Sco site. The bare minimum for
>>a PCI serial port is usually is 4 ports (2 more than I need) and
>>greater than $300 (waste of money). I can't use ISA cards in the
>>Netfinity. I don't want all the overkill. I want a simple 2 serial
>>port PCI card that I could plug a couple of modems in and not
>>spend alot of money at the same time. I see in a Global computer
>>catalog, a dual serial port PCI card for $49.95. That's what I
>>want, but vendor is not listed and I don't know if it will work
>>with Sco. Its sounds so simple yet I can't seem to find it.

Big difference between PC systems and Unix systems is that the MS
world polls the address and you can have several addresses sitting
on the same IRQ.

Quote:>If you can get a serial card and set the address and IRQ to
>something that is not already being used on the system, then I
>would think you should be able to use it under SCO.

He needs at least two more IRQs - in addition the standard IRQ3 and
IRQ4.  Two unsed IRQs are awfully hard to find.  Considering how
much time and effort could be taken getting this working, sometimes
the extra $ for a real multiport card can be cheaper.

--

adding 2 serial ports...

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>>Big difference between PC systems and Unix systems is that the MS
>>world polls the address and you can have several addresses sitting
>>on the same IRQ.
>can have. Doesn't mean 'will work well'. Not correcting anything,
>just pointing out more information. I've never had very good
>success sharing an IRQ under an MS OS and then try using both
>devices at the same time. ick. Horrible, horrible memories of my
>sysop days.... what a learning phase that was.

When I became a Sysop the PC hadn't even been released yet.
My last serious work in the MS world was on DOS 2.0 running on an
AT in conjuntion with a Sony CPM machine - when we built what was
probably the worlds first electronics parts catalog with ordering,
using laserdisk and the only input was a mouse and a light-pen.

I made enough money off that - October 1983 - that I bought my
first Unix system.  A few months later I parted out the PC
that I had built in early 1983 - and got the the above job - and
got a '286 with Microport's SysV.2 - where you had to add users
by manually editing password file, etc.   I never went back.

Don't know why you shared interupts and polling addresses in MS
doesn't mean it would work well - that's too limiting.  You could
just say MS doesn't work well :-)

Multiple

Quote:>>He needs at least two more IRQs - in addition the standard IRQ3 and
>>IRQ4.  Two unsed IRQs are awfully hard to find.  Considering how
>>much time and effort could be taken getting this working, sometimes
>>the extra $ for a real multiport card can be cheaper.
>Of course, my error.

I'll not call that an error, but more of an oversight. PCI with
shared interupts - on a system with NO ISA slots is really the only
way to go IMO.  On PC's with built-in HW I've had to disable some
things to free up IRQs.

Quote:>I should have phrased that sentence to state plural, addresses and
>IRQs. Depending on what is in the system, IRQ 5 and 7 come to mind,
>unless he is using a parallel port.

I've seen very few systems without the parallel port in use.

Quote:>Every now and then I see some 'decent' serial I/O boards on those
>Internet auction sites. I got my Hostess 8-port (16550 usart) there
>for $50, and a Digi Portserver (8-port) for $80 on one of those
>auction sites.

I seem to recall there are new boards out there - not smart ones -
that are in the $300 range.  You could spend more on that on time
involved making the on-board stuff work.  When are we going to get
rid of this danged serial stuff anyway :-)    [By that I mean the
old standard serail async stuff - leave it for the high-speed
networks].

--

1. XENIX... adding extra serial ports?

I'm new to this group, and could not find one directly relating, so here
goes...

I've got a PC in which I need to install some extra serial ports.  Standard
ISA bus cards.  No brainer, hardware wise.  Software wise is another
matter...

How do I get XENIX to recognize extra, installed serial ports?  What
command/configs do I use?

HELP!!

Ma Deuce

2. IPMP - one IP failover

3. HELP -- Sol 2.6 x86 -- How do I add extra serial ports

4. Mount CDROM on older SUNOS - HELP

5. Adding more serial ports

6. IT professional Discussion Board

7. awk + shell variable

8. Adding a serial port - help needed

9. add 2nd serial port, v3.2v4.2 hwconfig problem

10. How to add additional serial ports to the kernel?

11. Add: How to add a terminal to serial port

12. serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510