Changed host name - why does old name linger in sendmail?

Changed host name - why does old name linger in sendmail?

Post by Chris Boyc » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

I changed the hostname of an OpenServer 5.0.4 machine using
uname -S.  I also fixed the entry in /etc/hosts.  Everything
works great, except that all mail messages still have a sender

ID numbers include the new name!

If I go into sendmail configuration, it says the machine
name is the new one.

Anyone seen this, or know where the old name could be lingering?

Thanks!

--
______________________________

CHRIS BOYCE
Systems Administrator
ProTix Inc.
4513 Vernon Blvd
Madison WI  53705-4964 USA

<http://www.protix.com>

______________________________

Post by Richard Seede » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

> I changed the hostname of an OpenServer 5.0.4 machine using
> uname -S.  I also fixed the entry in /etc/hosts.  Everything
> works great, except that all mail messages still have a sender

> ID numbers include the new name!

> If I go into sendmail configuration, it says the machine
> name is the new one.

> Anyone seen this, or know where the old name could be lingering?

> Thanks!

> --
> ______________________________

> CHRIS BOYCE
> Systems Administrator
> ProTix Inc.
> 4513 Vernon Blvd
> Madison WI  53705-4964 USA

> <http://www.protix.com>

> ______________________________

Did you generate a new sendmail.cf file (mkdev cf; option 8)?  If not,
it may still be using the old name.

Richard Seeder

Changed host name - why does old name linger in sendmail?

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 19 May 1998 17:26:00 -0500, Chris Boyce

>I changed the hostname of an OpenServer 5.0.4 machine using
>uname -S.  I also fixed the entry in /etc/hosts.  Everything
>works great, except that all mail messages still have a sender

>ID numbers include the new name!

>If I go into sendmail configuration, it says the machine
>name is the new one.

Cause  uname -S newname  doesn't change every occurrence of the
system name in every file that might have the host name.  See:
        http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/new_name.txt
for a shopping list of files to tweak.  The most likely culprit
is /usr/mmdf/mmdftailor which is still used with sendmail.

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(408)699-0483 pgr (408)426-1240 fax (408)336-2558 home

1. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

2. LOCALE variables

3. tcp_wrappers - host name/name mismatch - why?

4. SOUND_MIXER_READ_PCM puzzle; works on some distributions, not others

5. how to change domain name, host name, ip address

6. Instal OS/2 to Linux/DOS machine

7. Q: how do I change the domain name/host name under Solaris

8. Oracle Workgroup Server and Netware

9. Changing Host Name and Domain Name

10. Host name, primary name, domain name...?

11. newbie q - why does DHCP change my host/domain names?

12. 2.2 sendmail: 553 host.iona.ie host name configuration error

13. Problems with DNS/named 'remembering' old machine names