Win98 and POP3 mail services

Post by Mark L. Wis » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello all!!

I have just added a Win98 client machine to my network.  I have a SCO
3.2V4.2 Machine acting as my mail server.  I was using Outlook 98 on Win95
prior to this and I could receive and send mail with no problems from all
sources.

Now I can send messages just fine, but I am unable to receive messages that
originate from the SCO box and I get 'Mailbox is not in the expected format'
messages after I retrieve mail via the POP server.

I had a similar problem when I was trying to run EudoraLite and get mail via
POP on this same SCO box.  When I switched to Outlook 98 on the old Win95
machine things were fine.

What gives????  Do I need to upgrade to a newer POP server on the SCO box???

--
Mark L. Wise
Alpha II Service, Inc.

Win98 and POP3 mail services

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:41:38 GMT, "Mark L. Wise"

>I have just added a Win98 client machine to my network.

Oh-0h.

Quote:>Now I can send messages just fine, but I am unable to receive messages that
>originate from the SCO box and I get 'Mailbox is not in the expected format'
>messages after I retrieve mail via the POP server.

The first step to solving such problems is to assign the blame.
The list of contestants are:
1.  3.2v4.2 popper
2.  Windoze 98
3.  Outlook 98
4.  Operator Error.

Fire up your Windoze 98 telenet and run:

=>> telnet comix 110
Trying 192.168.111.1...
Connected to comix.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK SCO POP3 server (version 2.1.4-R3) at
comix.comix.santa-cruz.ca.us starting
user jeffl
+OK Password required for jeffl.
pass xxxxxx
+OK jeffl has 39 message(s) (48888 octets).
retr 1
(lots of junk deleted)
quit
+OK Pop server at comixs.comix.santa-cruz.ca.us signing off.
Connection closed by foreign host.

If that works, then popper and Unix are fine.

My guess is that you're using some of the POP3 extensions and the
3.2v4.2 popper incantation is failing.  I don't have Windoze 98
or Outlook 98 so I can't tell you how to control this.

[x]email  [x]news  [ ]mailing list
--

150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA  95060
408-699-0483 pager   408-429-1240 fax

Post by Tony Earnsha » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> My guess is that you're using some of the POP3 extensions and the
> 3.2v4.2 popper incantation is failing.  I don't have Windoze 98
> or Outlook 98 so I can't tell you how to control this.

Could be the the Win 98 encrypted passwords, since it's Outlook that's
giving the problem, whereas it didn't before. Don't know if it uses the
Windows password or its own, probably Windows. To send mail, he'd be
using smtp, which doesn't require a password.

www.sco.com/ta, read TA 109220 - if it's not already been done.

Tony

--
Tony Earnshaw
Systems Manager

**** The magic is Unix ****

1. FW: FW: Win98 and POP3 mail services

I finally got this to work!!!!

The secret is when I installed Outlook 98 I installed support only for
Internet mail access.... (Stupid me, that's all I wanted...)  I installed
support for MicroSoft Mail servers AND Internet mail and voila... now
Internet mail only reads all mail messages, internal and external correctly.

Thanks to all who tried to help and I hope this helps anyone else in this
situation...

BTW, POP3 or IMAP on the SCO server side worked identically.... no SCO
problem here  :)

--
Mark L. Wise
Alpha II Service, Inc.

2. uptime system call in solaris

3. FW: Win98 and POP3 mail services

4. Problems compiling with Slack 3.0

5. need help for pop3, mail and linux with win98 clients

6. HP-UX, SLIP, PPP

7. Error Getting Mail Through POP3 Service

8. mail bouncing

9. (newbie) pop3 mail client on pc attached via ethernet to linux pop3 server problems

10. how to use emacs mail with ISP pop3 mail server?

11. new mail notification for POP3 mail

12. Is there any new mail notification for POP3 mail ?

13. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX