Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1

Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1

Post by Alex Treschenko » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Help, please!
Why I can Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1?

Thanks!
        Alex Treschenkov

Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Alex Treschenkov telecommunicated:
| Help, please!
| Why I can Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1?

One reason is that OSR 5.0.1 never existed in the market. :-)

Another is that the CD-ROM must be *fully* ATAPI-compliant.

Please provide more details of your hardware, and what you are
doing, and what errors you see.

--

Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1

Post by Roberto Zi » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Help, please!
>Why I can Install IDE CD-ROM Under SCO OpenServer 5.0.1?

>Thanks!
>        Alex Treschenkov

Because it's an installation option provided by the engineers from
SCO ;-> But I think you'll have problem anyway since 5.0.1 has
never been released by SCO.

Please search www.dejanews.com; there have been a lot of
articles posted on this topic. I'm sure you'll find plenty of 'em.

Best,
Roberto

--
P.S. : please remove the ending "dy" from my Email address
       if you want to reply.

Strhold Sistemi EDP                           Reggio Emilia      ITALY

"Has anybody seen an aircraft carrier around ?"
(Pete "Maverick" Mitchell - Top Gun)

1. Problem installing SCO OpenServer 5.0 with IDE CD-ROM on IDE hard disk

Hello,

I'am trying to install SCO OpenServer 5.0 on a PC
(DELL Optiplex GXL 5133), using an IDE cd-rom.

The hard disk (Western Digital caviar 31600) and
the cd-rom (Nec Corp. CDR-273) are on the same (primary)
IDE controler (Master and Slave).

No problems with the boot sequence (loading BTLD ATAPI
driver with the defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI)

I 'Identify the installation media device' as
'SCSI CD-ROM' with these parameters :
host adaptater type : wd
host adaptater number : 0
SCSI-ID : 1
SCSI-LUN : 0
SCSI bus number : 0

I have the first graphics screens, but the PC stop
when I have the (graphic) message :
'testing media installation device...'

did I do something wrong ?

I don't know if the problem is the ATAPI driver or
the hard disk driver...

I see something strange (?) in the system hardware report
The %adaptater and %disk have the same address...
(The %adaptater parameters seems to be OK when I read
the 'Release note')

I have already check the hard disk jumpers and the cd-rom
jumpers...

Should I add something like this at the boot prompt (?) :
defbootstr ahslink=ATAPI hd=... Sdsk=...(0,0,0,0)

I searched some informations on the Western Digital WEB server :
they say that NOVELL NetWare and UNIX do not work with the
translating BIOS feature (LBA : Logical Block Addressing (?))

Is it true for SCO unix ?

Should I disable this in the CMOS setup ?

Did someone have the same problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome MILAZZO.

PS: I hope there is no mistake in this text, I'am French...!

2. How to set Intel NIC to full duplex?

3. (E)IDE CD-ROM problems with SCO OpenServer

4. Thrashing verification and solution

5. Help installing Openserver 5 from IDE CD-ROM

6. Any good traffic/bandwidth monitoring software for linuxbox?

7. Installing Free SCO Openserver; CD-ROM not recognised

8. Help for QT library

9. Installing SCO OpenServer 5 from CD-ROM

10. Installing Free SCO Openserver; CD-ROM not recognised

11. SCO Free OpenServer and Creative CD-Blaster 2x CD-ROM

12. Installing SCO UNIX from IDE CD-ROM

13. IDE/CD-ROM sco-free server install problems