Installing Free Unixware

Post by James Ston » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I got free unixware and am having a problem with installation.
It looks like uw is not detecting my CD drive. I have tried on few other
computers as well. All those CD drives on which I have tried are usually
working perfectly.

Is there some trick or I am doing something wrong??

James

Installing Free Unixware

Post by James MacDonal » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi

>I got free unixware and am having a problem with installation.
>It looks like uw is not detecting my CD drive. I have tried on few other
>computers as well. All those CD drives on which I have tried are usually
>working perfectly.

>Is there some trick or I am doing something wrong??

What sort of drive do you have?
IDE or SCSI?

If it's IDE, to which interface and where is it connected? Something
such as the tertiary interface on the sound card won't work, but primary
slave (if you have a master) on the motherboard will.

If it's SCSI, is it terminated properly? Have you installed the right
host driver?

If it's a proprietary interface drive (i.e. you can't connect it to the
motherboard), tough luck - you need an ATAPI or a SCSI drive for UW.

If it's a Creative drive, give up as they don't seem to be ATAPI-
compliant: it only works with Linux under ATAPI because of fixes in the
kernel :(

[SCO, can we have those fixes in WD as a BTLD? Please?]
--
UNIX - Saving you from the Gates of Hell.