HELP: Need RELIABLE MSDOS or SCO Unix memory test for 128 Mbytes memory

HELP: Need RELIABLE MSDOS or SCO Unix memory test for 128 Mbytes memory

Post by rai.. » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for a reliable memory test program that will run under
MSDOS or SCO Unix and will test up to 128 Mbytes of memory.

My company manufactures bundled Intel PC platforms with up to 128
Mbytes of memory, depending on the customer order.  We pre-load SCO
Unix ODT 3.0 or Open Server 5.0 along with our application.  To save
time, prior to loading Unix and the application, we want to test as
many hardware components as possible (disk, memory, CMOS config.,
specialty boards).  We currently test with a bootable MSDOS 6.2
diskette that loads QEMM to map the 128 Mbytes as expanded memory.
We currently test memory with PC Certify Pro from Landmark, Inc.
We are aware of several memory test programs that do not run under
MSDOS, but they provide no hooks to run our other tests.

Recently, we received a batch of 32 Mbyte SIMMS that would produce
a invalid opcode panic trap every time Unix booted.  After switching
every major component we determined the RAM had to be bad.  When we
moved the RAM to another known good system, the problem followed the
RAM.  Unfortunately, PC Certify Pro did not detect any problem with
the RAM.  We then tried Norton Utilities NDIAGS with similar results.

Occasionally NDIAGS would lock up before completing a several hour
test, but it never did report a specific RAM problem.  To get NDIAGS
to recognize all 128 K of memory as expanded memory, we ran it under
the Win 95 version of MSDOS.  Still no luck.  We did note that HIMEM
would occasionally report questionable memory during the initial
memory test, but we could find no documentation as to what test HIMEM
is performing.

We have returned some of the suspect memory to the vendor for a
failure analysis.  In the meantime does anyone have a product to
recommend?  Alternatively, is there a FAQ that discusses this class
of problem?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I'm looking for a reliable memory test program that will run under
>MSDOS or SCO Unix and will test up to 128 Mbytes of memory.
>Recently, we received a batch of 32 Mbyte SIMMS that would produce
>a invalid opcode panic trap every time Unix booted.  After switching
>every major component we determined the RAM had to be bad.  When we
>moved the RAM to another known good system, the problem followed the
>RAM.  Unfortunately, PC Certify Pro did not detect any problem with
>the RAM.  We then tried Norton Utilities NDIAGS with similar results.

If you are installing many machines perhaps your best direction
would be a hardware memory tester.  They will be a couple of
hundred $$ - but you test before you ever put them in the
machine.

I don't know how you value the time it took to discover the
above RAM problem - but even it's if it's below market value -
finding bad memory a half-dozen times should more than pay for
it.

--

Post by Simon Hobs » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a reliable memory test program that will run under
> MSDOS or SCO Unix and will test up to 128 Mbytes of memory.

> My company manufactures bundled Intel PC platforms with up to 128
> Mbytes of memory, depending on the customer order.

You could try Micro 2000. I have used this myself in the past (it did have
some extended memory test problems, but that was several years (and several
major versions !) ago). It doesn't require any operating system booted (it
has it's own) so is not subject to any interference from the OS.

http://www.micro2000europe.co.uk

TTFN, Simon

1. >= 128 Mb of memory, tag chips needed ??

Hello,

We want to build a Pentium Pro 200 Mhz machine, eventually Bi-processor,
with plenty
of memory (128 or 256 MB).

I read somewhere (I don't remeber where) that some particular mainboards
can't
cache memory above an certain amount (64 MB ?).
I imagine that this has an bad impact on performance.

I would have three questions:

 - which Pentium Pro motherboard (Tyan, ASUS, Supermicro) can cache 128
MB and
   more memory ?

 - wouldn't it be better to use parity/ECC memory in this case. Is this
type
   of memory as fast as EDO ?

 - what is the limit of memory Linux can handle (by specifying
append="mem=xxM")

Thanks for your help

Holger

P.S. The machine will also have an A2940UW SCSI-controller and a 3COM
PCI ethernet
     card.

2. linux config crash

3. How much cache needed for 128 MB memory?

4. Problems using mod_ldap with apache 1.3.3

5. Need a reliable way to determine physical memory size.

6. Cardbus Bridge no IRQ in 2.4.6

7. 128 MBytes

8. RedHat 5.2 Xwindow help needed

9. Linux finds only 64 of my 98 Mbytes of memory ...

10. 128 MBytes

11. *HELP* Need Memory Test!

12. Applications Testing Software Needed - Unix, Msdos

13. unix, linix memory management v/s windows95 memory management