Help, mkdev tape says I got two tape drives installed!

Help, mkdev tape says I got two tape drives installed!

Post by Brian Semoti » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm running SCO OpenServer Release 5

I was replacing a Sankyo CP1000 SCSI tape backup unit with a Connor
Python DAT drive. Everything went OK except the following:

I used mkdev tape and removed the existing SCSI device. Then I added
another one but decided at one step to abort and not update the
environment etc. because I wanted to double check something. Now every
time I run mkdev tape it reports a SCSI tape device that doesn't
really exist but it won't remove the reference to it. I added another
one for the DAT drive and set it as default and it works ok but this
other tape device is really bugging me. I get errors when rebuilding
the kernel and updating the environment from mkdev. Does anyone have
any ideas on how to remove it.

Brian

Post by Toby L. Kra » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm running SCO OpenServer Release 5
>I was replacing a Sankyo CP1000 SCSI tape backup unit with a Connor
>Python DAT drive. Everything went OK except the following:
>I used mkdev tape and removed the existing SCSI device. Then I added
>another one but decided at one step to abort and not update the
>environment etc. because I wanted to double check something. Now every
>time I run mkdev tape it reports a SCSI tape device that doesn't
>really exist but it won't remove the reference to it. I added another
>one for the DAT drive and set it as default and it works ok but this
>other tape device is really bugging me. I get errors when rebuilding
>the kernel and updating the environment from mkdev. Does anyone have
>any ideas on how to remove it.
>Brian

You are in a maze of twisty little passages...

What has happened is that the system configuration files had been
partially updated when you aborted and now everything is not in sync.

Having been there before, here are the places to look are:

/etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi  <-- check the devices configured on different
host adapters

/etc/conf/sdevice.d/Stp  <-- check this

/etc/conf/cf.d/conf.c   <-- check for Stpcfg array
/etc/conf/cf.d/config.h  <-- check STP_UNITS

/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.h and space.c  <-- check arrays here

You may need to check /etc/conf/sdevice.d/<hostadapterdriver>.

You will probably find one or more of the arrays with extra entries in
them.   I know of no other way to clean up things once they are hosed.
Toby L. Kraft, Kraft Enterprises, Inc., Evansville. IN USA