A Modest Proposal RE: Docs

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> So the online docs are compressed html files.  That makes them
> unbrowsable by anything other than scohelp (if I'm wrong and Netscape can
> be configured to decompress on the fly, hooray and how do you do it?).

> A suggestion for the nabobs at SCO: issue a CD with the on line docs in
> uncompressed format so ordinary joes with PCs and Netscape on their
> desktops can browse the forms.

Only the man pages are compressed, and they acre acessed through a
cgi-bin script which uncompresses them on the fly at the server end.  It
is true, however, that the man pages can't be read with Netscape.  The
cgi-bin/man program doesn't know what to make of Netscape's "accept=*/*"
(I think).  This didn't get noticed until too late because hardly anyone
at SCO will touch Netscape, after the way they have treated us.
Quote:>Bela<

A Modest Proposal RE: Docs

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

$is true, however, that the man pages can't be read with Netscape.  The
$cgi-bin/man program doesn't know what to make of Netscape's "accept=*/*"
$(I think).  This didn't get noticed until too late because hardly anyone
$at SCO will touch Netscape, after the way they have treated us.

   I entirely understand the sentiment, but spite doesn't make for a
good product.  This is something which does have to be fixed,
regardless of how Netscape trats you or whose software is actually
responsible for causing the problem.

   Netscape has a tough time with Microsoft's web pages, since Microsoft
in their infinite arrogance have written them (quoting as closely
from memory as I can) to work best with Microsoft's web browser in
some particular beta release.  Microsoft isn't gonna change, which
means the job of fixing the problem falls on Netscape, even
though they didn't cause it.

   Ditto here.  Netscape is probably far and away the most widely-used
web browser on the planet.  Even if it doesn't run on SCO, many
SCO users would probably like to be able to access their SCO man
pages from non-SCO systems once in a while.  That means many of
them are going to be pointing a copy of Netscape at their SCO
man pages.  Netscape ain't gonna change; we all know that.  So
it's SCO's problem to fix.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

A Modest Proposal RE: Docs

Post by Evan Leibovit » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Netscape has a tough time with Microsoft's web pages, since Microsoft
>in their infinite arrogance have written them (quoting as closely
>from memory as I can) to work best with Microsoft's web browser in
>some particular beta release.  Microsoft isn't gonna change, which
>means the job of fixing the problem falls on Netscape, even
>though they didn't cause it.

In other words, arrogance is relative. Netscape's arrogance works for it
until it finds a bigger company that is even more arrogant.

Doesn't anyone else see the irony of Netscape not working because of
some company's gratuitous "extensions" to HTML?

Quote:>Even if it doesn't run on SCO, many
>SCO users would probably like to be able to access their SCO man
>pages from non-SCO systems once in a while.

Then they're welcome to use Mosaic, many versions of which (like Spry's)
have been beefed up to Netscape's functionality without Netscape's own
form of corporate arrogance. Or any of the other browsers that seem to
be coming out daily -- maybe even Microsoft's.

As this indistry matures, Netscape will be only one of many players.
It will not be (it already is not) the only competent browser around.
If a tool doesn't work on your car, you get another tool, rather
than changing your car.

A good many of the Internet-for-DOS packages out now come with something
besides Netscape. Their users will not have problems. If the new
Microsoft browser doesn't encounter problems, then there will be
even more alternatives to Netscape. Given a competitive marketplace,
Netscape can easily lose its edge if it continues to ignore what its
users want.

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd., located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario

    There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types,
                            and those who don't.

A Modest Proposal RE: Docs

Post by Lucky Leavel » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Evan,
    Re: Netscape: AMEN.  Personally, I'm seriously looking at Emissary
from Woolongong (sic) to replace Netscape on my laptop; for SCO its
Mosaic all the way!

IMHO,
Lucky

Lucky Leavell                            Phone: (812) 945-6555
Relational Information Systems, Inc.       FAX: (812) 949-9233

New Albany, IN 47150-2013                       71534,2674 (CompuServe)
                                 WWW Home Page:  http://wl.iglou.com/ris

A Modest Proposal RE: Docs

Post by D. Lee Pen » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Evan,
>    Re: Netscape: AMEN.  Personally, I'm seriously looking at Emissary
>from Woolongong (sic) to replace Netscape on my laptop; for SCO its
>Mosaic all the way!

On my machine, Emissary has lots of problems.  For one thing, if I try
to move an Emissary window, it leaves an image copy on the screen
where it used to be.  Then, shortly following that, it GPF's.

--

[SCO APC, 7444 Jager Ct., Cincinnati, OH 45230-4344    FAX: (513) 232-7801]
[ http://www.dlpco.com                                                    ]